Roof racks/camperization on vancouver island

Mitsubishi Delica Camper vans, lift kits & other Delica Accessories!

Moderator: BCDelica

delinoobie
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1997 L400 Space Gear

Roof racks/camperization on vancouver island

Post by delinoobie »

I'm looking for info and recommendations on roof rack installations for a high-roof L400 in the Victoria area. Has anyone tried all season racks?

I'm also curious if someone does camperization mods privately on the south island. I am mechanically dis-inclined and would need someone to do this for me. The bounty of information I've found on the forum thus far describing other people's processes are all pretty much lost on me.

Thanks!
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Re: Roof racks/camperization on vancouver island

Post by mararmeisto »

I've had a couple of roof racks installed by All Season. The difficulty with the JDM's is their unfamiliarity with the various models, and so they would probably recommend a bolt-thru mounting. The expense of that is having to take out the headliner, which in a Delica would be prohibitive.

I had All Season install a bolt-thru roof rack assembly on my ol' Pajero, but I removed the headliner myself.

You may have to look for something through one of the JDM dealers or part-sourcing companies to find a L400-specific rack (since it doesn't have a rain gutter like the older L300's did).
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
izack98
Vehicle: 1997 L400 Super Exceed PE8W

Post by izack98 »

This may help. I was installing my roof rack and basket on my L400 a couple of weeks ago. I knocked the molding off that trims the edge of the rain gutter. It turns out there is a substantial rain gutter under that molding. The molding is held on with some plastic clips. The clips are glued on (or stuck with two-sided tape) every couple of feet. I took off the molding and can see that the feet of the roof rack are quite solid.
That molding does get in the way a bit when installing the feet of the roof rack. But its not too bad.
Here are some pics attached to show you what I mean. I will need to put the molding back on at some point when I get time.
Attachments
Roof 2.png
Roof 2.png (668.62 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
Last edited by izack98 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
izack98
Vehicle: 1997 L400 Super Exceed PE8W

Post by izack98 »

Oops, this one didn't attach for some reason.
Attachments
Roof 1.png
Roof 1.png (760 KiB) Viewed 4525 times

Return to “Delica Modifications”