Help a soon-to-be brother out?

Issues relating to the purchasing, importing, and inspection of JDM vehicles in Canada

Moderator: mark

pj_jazzy_janz
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '94 L400 LWB

Help a soon-to-be brother out?

Post by pj_jazzy_janz »

Greetings all! I'm looking to get a new Delica for me and my expanding family! We're looking at an L400 Long Wheel-Base, automatic Diesel with the Crystal Lite Roof option. Anyway, that isn't the important part (well, it is to me, but not to you unless you have one sitting around...)

The really important thing is, from where do I get it? I've read the dealer/importer feedback thread and I definitely want Mardy to get me my van. However, with my tastes being so... particular (my wife says picky), is it a good idea to have multiple dealers using their resources to find one? I know Mardy is busy and I don't want to take up a lot of his time looking for me, but I don't think I know how to find one myself. Can I do the work of finding one and then have Mardy bring it over and get all Canadian-ized?

Also, has anyone ever dealt with JDM Connection as an importer? I've been in contact with him since before I found out about this little gold mine (Delica.ca) and he seems really nice, but then, so do all salespeople when they're trying to sell you something. He claims it should be no problem to find one, but I have my suspicions...

Thanks all for all the help you've already been and I'm sure will be in the future!!!
Big-Bird
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=20974
Vehicle: 96 PE8W Spacegear

Re: Help a soon-to-be brother out?

Post by Big-Bird »

William from JDM connection is top-shelf. I know many an Albertan who have purchased JDM's from him and there have been no concerns on their purchases.

Mardy also does reputable work.

So does Rising Sun Imports of Westminster BC.

Do your research...being picky is a good thing. Look for something with less than 150K on the unit. 3.0L gas and 2.8L TD models are both desirable......Post 97 diesel models use an electronic diesel injection system that most local dealers are just starting to bring in now and I have not heard much about anyone's ability to tune this system with 100% confidence.....at least not yet so ask about this.

The other stuff is dead easy. E-Code Headlights are cheaper for the GenII L400 but they are mostly unchanged from the Gen I platform.

Don't expect much for colors....green/grey, blue/grey, white, black, silver and the occasional burgundy are the most common. Be prepared for service updates although mardy would discuss with you ASAP....as would all the other guys.
Yeah I joined the Dark Side because the medical plan is top shelf!

pj_jazzy_janz
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '94 L400 LWB

Re: Help a soon-to-be brother out?

Post by pj_jazzy_janz »

Thanks so much!! I've been looking at JDM Connection and Rising Sun a bit, too.

I've looked around and know what I want. I mostly want to know someone who can bring it in and get it all Canadian (more specifically Winnipeg)-road worthy. Thanks again!!

Return to “Import, Inspection & Registration”