L300, seems to be loosing power, unable to get fuel

New to Delica Canada? Please introduce yourself and your van!
Agravelle
Vehicle: 1992 Delica Exceed Crystal

Post by Agravelle »

Hello, I am not the most mechanically inclined and have been having some trouble with my L300. I live in Ontario but move 3 hours feast of Toronto where I had some amazing mechanics. Where I live now there seems to be a lack of good diesel mechanics.
The l3oo will loose power and if I step on the gas it chokes, but If I take me foot off the gas it will die. If I pump it lightly I can keep it going but only barely, and only while in park.
I have recently changed the fuel filter, so wondering I maybe I have an air leak that is causing the problem.
I have attached a photo showing the injectors, I have noticed one is looking a little off. Should I be concerned?
This is my only vehicle and I live in a rural setting so I'm kind of hooped without a vehicle. Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Andy
Attachments
injectors.jpg
injectors.jpg (33.04 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
Big-Bird
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=20974
Vehicle: 96 PE8W Spacegear

Re: L300, seems to be loosing power, unable to get fuel

Post by Big-Bird »

Firstly...you drive a diesel (glow plugs and common power rail photo) not a gas unit which has a different series of potential sources for sputtering engines.

A bad EGR on a Turbo Diesel Delica would cause the problem you described.

Pull the vacuum line from the EGR valve...the EGR is bolted to the exhaust manifold near the valve cover. Look for the vacuum solenoid and remove the small rubber vacuum line...plug the line with a bolt that just fits in the hose. Now try and run your Delica. If it runs better the EGR is pooched and you can install a blanking plate kit from ebay...just look them up online...if you have simple handtools and some sheet metal you can make your own plates but they won't last due to the thin material.

If the sputtering still occurs you may have a loose intake hose between your air filter and the turbo or the wastegate actuator is stuck/sticky. The other item could be a fuel pump issue and with you being in Rural Ontario...well you know the math on that one!

Look up the how to's by doing a search on the forum.
Yeah I joined the Dark Side because the medical plan is top shelf!

Firesong
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1998 L400 Delica Chamonix

Post by Firesong »

When you changed the fuel filter did you bleed the air out of the filter? Loosen the 10mm bolt and pump the plunger till fuel came out?

Check the lines and make sure they are on snug. Might have moved something letting air in.

As for your picture don't worry about the crap around the injector. Look for fuel bubbling, that kinda stuff.

You may have to bleed each injector which isn't too hard. I just learned about it the hard way lol.
Last edited by Firesong on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firesong
Vehicle: 1998 L400 Delica Chamonix

Post by Firesong »

I think he was referring to gas as in the pedal. No biggie.
Also he was pointing out the injector below the rail. It's got a bunch of crud around it.
yojimbo
Vehicle: 1994 Delica L300 - Jasper

Post by yojimbo »

My money is on incorrectly installed fuel filter. SInce you just put one on mainly. In my experience the engine is self bleeding, you may have to bleed the pump body, but it will bleed the rest out itself. I think there is some issue with some filters with odd seals, or it could be the seal has twisted, usually its best to apply something to the o ring to make sure it doesnt snag, oil filter, fuel filter, all the same. Bleed the fuel filter, run it for a while, bleed it again, if it has new air, theres the problem.
1994 L300 Jasper
1986 Scimitar 1.8Ti
Big-Bird
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=20974
Vehicle: 96 PE8W Spacegear

Post by Big-Bird »

Its been nearly a week since he first posted....an update perhaps on what progress he has made if any. 8-)
Yeah I joined the Dark Side because the medical plan is top shelf!

Return to “Member Introductions”