Say hello to the new Mud Monkey (Long overdue updates on P8)

Driving a shiny 91 Delica Super Exceed? This is the section to show and tell!
Mystery Machine

Re: Say hello to the new Mud Monkey (this one is for keeps!)

Post by Mystery Machine »

Right - there has been no proper updates for 2 whole weeks....and that is because I have been a 'little bit' busy on a major part of the Mud Monkey project (along with lots & lots of other bits & pieces)

The major part of the current work is 98% finished now, so I thought it time to post a run-down of what I've been up to! Tackling the interior.

Because of my job I need to keep the interior as a van, as functional as possible and as practical as possible. The last Mud Monkey had the floor boarded with ply which was very handy, but I wanted to go one stage further with this interior.

To cut a long LONG story short, I started out with the intention to board the back out with a few 'tie-down' points added in for securing loads, but one thing led to another and I ended up creating a major MAJOR refit which actually took me over 100hrs to complete rather than the 8 or 9 hours I'd originally anticipated.

The following photos do NOT show the amount of work, measuring, research, measuring, swearing, measuring, cutting, measuring, templating, measuring, fabricating, measuring, trimming etc....it took to complete this interior (did I meantion about the amount of measuring?? :shock: )

The starting point - a stripped out L300 7 seater interior:

On the day I went searching high & low for tie-down points I came across this 'track' which I figured would be VERY handy for my needs. 3 x 10ft lengths later, I headed home and cut strips of thin galvanised sheet to sit behind/under the track. This would stop small objects from dropping through the track and rolling up & down the ribs in the floorpan. Things could still drop into the track - but they could go no further and I could then pick them out easily. The bottom track shows (just) the ribs in the floor through the holes. The middle track shows the galv. plate underneath and the top track shows the galv. plate coated in black vinly to make things easier to spot in the track.

Next was to start to measure, cut, trim and fit the track into the back of the motor. It took many hours of measuring to ensure that the track sat in the right places, that I could get rivets in the best (strongest) places, that the sides would line up with the floor sections and that everything was evenly spaced and 'square' to the rest of the car! Each piece of track was riveted to the body/floor and double checked that the rivets were correctly secured.

Lots of cutting/shaping was needed to get the track to fit correctly around trim and other parts of the interior like the rear seatbelts

Other parts needed reinforcing to ensure that the end of the track was secured and not ‘floating’ in mid air

Now that some of the main elements of the track are installed I can start measuring/templating/cutting the floor panels to fit in between the tracks. I had chosen a special ‘Phenolic’ plywood with a resin coated textured surface and water resistant adhesives to bond the layers together. More tricky to cut/shape but the end result should look neat and most importantly be VERY hard wearing & durable!

My aim was to get the panels to fit as neatly as possible (+/-0.5mm tolerance ideally) and decided to try and achieve this with just a jigsaw rather than using a circular saw!! I won’t explain my reasons here, but suffice to say that after a LOT of careful measuring (measure 10 times, cut once) I managed to achieve an almost perfect fit (within my tolerance) and no chips in the phenolic surface. One VERY pleased person was the result! You can see my templates in the foreground and my amazing al fresco workshop in the background! Who needs fancy machinery??

Once all the floor panels were test fitted and just how I wanted them, I finished fitting the rest of the side tracks while the ‘raw’ cut edges of the ply were painted black to make them look neater (purely for aesthetics seeing as this ply is waterproof anyway! Maybe I was being a little pedantic about the finish!!! Lol)

Here is the motor with all the track fitted ready for the floor to go in:

Next up was a layer of foam insulating material to act as a sound deadener and also to make the rear a little warmer when camping in the back.

At this point I then spent a whole day bonding (re-bonding) the inner and outer panel skins together on the sides of the bodywork to stop them drumming/vibrating and making a horrible noise. I also made sure that the floor was fully sealed and any small holes filled with silicone so that once the floor was riveted down, there would be no need to pull it back up again.

The floor was then fitted and fixed into place. No photos because I forgot to charge my camera batteries!

Next step was to make all the side panels to fit in between all the vertical tracks. These where carefully measured and cut in 6mm ply with all the correct holes for seatbelt mounts, accessory sockets, speakers etc…cut into them before being fitted.

Then I glued/bonded black carpet over the face of each panel (six in total, three shown) and trimmed with a border of a few inches

I then cut/stretched and glued the border onto the back face of the panels. This made a neat job of the edges but also meant that the panels wouldn’t vibrate against the bodywork because the fabric would sit against the bodywork, not the wood.

So there you go – a lot of work just to panel the back of the van out…..and I’ll upload some pics of the finished interior in a little bit…….let’s just say that I am VERY pleased with the results!!
L300 Mystery Machine (High Altitude Edition 8-) )
L300 MudMonkey ($400 bargain banger!! :!: )

patty
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: delica chamonix

Post by patty »

Im lovin that, when i get some time and cash i want to diamond plat the rear floor and side walls, plus the side panels on the front doors n slider.
Mystery Machine

patty wrote:Im lovin that, when i get some time and cash i want to diamond plat the rear floor and side walls, plus the side panels on the front doors n slider.
Be careful with diamond plate, it drums a lot - especially if used as side panels. You'll need to use some form of insulation on any surface that touches the bodywork otherwise you'll be regretting it! Also - the edges are a nightmare to finish nicely because of all the raised diamond bits. Lots of sharp edges, even when rubbed down and you'll forever be snagging things on it!

I wanted to go with something that was more 'user friendly' and less cold/industrial to look at. I've got nothing against diamond plate, but reckon a complete interior of it may be a bit too much and not as welcoming as the route I took in the end.

Anyway, here are the photos of the interior installed and fixed in place:

(I'll be doing something with the sliding door panel to make it match the rest of the interior)

Getting the belts to fit was quite a lot of careful measuring to make sure the moutning points lined up with the panels......and I threw in a 12V accessory socket too (this one is permanent 12V)

In the two panels behind the drivers seat I also fitted some 12V sockets but these ones run off the accessory circuit. All wiring (including any extension lengths I needed to add) utilise the genuine wiring in all the correct colours, all wound into the original loom, connected through original plugs/sockets onto the main loom and all joints are soldered/covered in heatshrink. Reliability and continuity was paramount. One of the reasons this install took so long, but I wanted it to be 'right' even when it can't be seen....

Some Clarion 6.5" speakers put in to add some good sound. Even though it's a work van, I spend a LOT of time behind the wheel, so I like to have some tunes....

Getting the floor to fit accurately over the tie-down track was pretty tricky but I am pleased with the result (even if I was cursing at the time!)

I wanted a +/- 0.5mm tolerance for the fit and think I acheived it pretty well - even using a hand held jigsaw for the cutting.

Overall I wanted the interior to look as professional as possible and not like some wood that was 'thrown in' for protection. I reckon i acheived it. All I need to do now is make a 'capping' strip to run from front to back over the top of the side panels (just under the windows) to neaten it up.

VERY pleased....and now to get it filled with tools and put it to work..... :D :D

BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Mystery Machine wrote: My aim was to get the panels to fit as neatly as possible (+/-0.5mm tolerance ideally) and decided to try and achieve this with just a jigsaw rather than using a circular saw!!
That's one steady hand you have there Bruce, impressive job! Is there no caffeine in English tea?
Answers that common Delica question of how to secure something when you don't have seats to wedge it in with.

Cheers,
Kev
Image Call me BCDelica-less
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

Wow, Bruce. That is a very well done job. When can you come by my house?
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
jwfchase
Vehicle: '92 Super Exceed

Post by jwfchase »

mararmeisto wrote:Wow, Bruce. That is a very well done job. When can you come by my house?
I'd say someone who puts as more emphasis on what's UNDER the finish than the finish itself (yet is also a perfectionist about the finishing as well) is definately the person I would want building my house! (Oh yeah, and my Delica...)
Green1
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Post by Green1 »

Very nice!

one comment though... the speakers stick out when I would have thought they should be recessed to avoid damage...
MadB0mb3r
Vehicle: 92 Delica Chamonix

Post by MadB0mb3r »

Top notch...

looks slick for a work van..

Cheers..
Colin. W

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools..
stubblebut
Vehicle: 1991 Delica Super Exceed

Post by stubblebut »

Ur a mad man with mad skills. Sweet rig! Can't wait to see photos of MM's ass end scraped up and full of gear. Cheers!
delica 304
Vehicle: 1992 delica GLX

Post by delica 304 »

Uuuuuh, ummumummm uhhhhh...

(shiny overload)
Mystery Machine

Green1 wrote:one comment though... the speakers stick out when I would have thought they should be recessed to avoid damage...
Of all the people on this forum Roger, I thought you would know me well enough to realise that there would be a reason/decision/plan behind every part of the design :wink:

You know there is NO WAY I would leave a speaker as exposed and vulnerable as that in a work van unless it was going to be 'protected' by something not yet installed.... :mrgreen:

.....and I can't believe no one asked why I was fitting rear seat belt in when I want it to be a work van?? (BC Delica/Green1 have seen this mod before on the Mk1 Mud Monkey, hence my comment above)

Here is my speaker protection system which also happens to double up as some 'spare' seats:

Custom subframe brackets made from some spare strips of 5mm steel (and sprayed satin black)

Bolt these subframes to some L400 rear seats and install - approx 2 mins for each seat to install.....

Now I have a protected set of speakers AND a work van AND some people carrying capacity.

Life is sweet..... 8-) 8-)

Green1

Post by Green1 »

*sigh* we need L400 seats out here... (I could pass on the vehicle... all I want are the seats ;-) )

BTW... weren't you going to find a solution to allow those seats to clip in to the floor when down? I seem to remember you mentioning it on the original Mud Monkey...
Mystery Machine

Green1 wrote:*sigh* we need L400 seats out here... (I could pass on the vehicle... all I want are the seats ;-) )
Do you want me to work out a price for shipping?? (including some MM custom subframes) I could pick up rear seats pretty cheap over here and even when L400's do arrive on your shores, I doubt they'll be parting out many for quite some time!! I reckon the shipping price will make your eyes bleed though - even if I can source the seats for peanuts! :shock:

My seats were free, the subframes cost me all of £5.00 ($10.00) and that makes me a happy guy! Sorry to rub it in!!

Green1

Post by Green1 »

shipping items that large is painfully expensive, I think I'll have to pass for a few years yet...
patty
Vehicle: delica chamonix

Post by patty »

Alright it looks pretty f@*$ing good. Now if you really wonna turn some heads try find away to make that back seat a pull out couch (bed).

oooooo my deli is on the little picture thing in the top of the screen, so happy

Return to “Member Rides”