2002 L400 V6

Driving a shiny 91 Delica Super Exceed? This is the section to show and tell!
Andy-
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 2002 L400 Limited

2002 L400 V6

Post by Andy- »

I recently bought a Delica. It's a 2002 short, high roof(no sunroof), gas, 8 passenger with cloth seats. Pretty much the setup I was interested most in. I was planning to drive this thing all winter if I can afford to keep it filled up with fuel and don't have to keep throwing parts at it. The main reason I went with a gas engine was I've done the diesel in -30c a lot and it sucks. I can't plug in at work and park on the street. And parts available. It looks like most engine parts can be sourced from a Montero sport or maybe even a Dodge car?

It's going to need some oil leaks fixed and a timing belt one of these days(it was replaced 80k kms ago). So far I've replaced the rear brakes:Rotors, calipers and pads. I was able to get all the parts locally by ordering for a 1998 Montero. I replaced one of the little rubber trans cooler hoses from the metal line to the lh lower part of the rad, and a piece of 3/8" transmission-rated hose fit fine.

I haven't looked over the front end very well other than jacking it up and wiggling the wheels. Seems tight...Drives ok with maybe a tiny pull to the left. Rear tires are worn out on the inside edges so I assume the previous owner just rotated them from the front. That or the rear diff is bent.
And...it looks like the rear springs are sagged out. I initially wanted to get a 2" lift but I think I'll hold off and try going with airbags inside the springs instead cause right now it just barely fits in my garage(height-wise) with maybe an inch to spare.

I found the auction listing for this thing from 2017 when it was imported here. Turns out it spent the first few years close to where I live(edmonton) then went south around Calgary where I bought it.

This thing has a weird hood on it. It's has two bmw looking grilles on the front instead of a seperate grille below the hood. Turns out it's a later model Tawain market hood. I'll post pics when I have more time. Other than some dvd player head unit and a 10" back up camera screen where above the dash,clear lenses and led bulbs, it's mostly stock.
Andy-

Re: 2002 L400 V6

Post by Andy- »

Last edited by Andy- on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy-

Re: 2002 L400 V6

Post by Andy- »

The battery died the other day. I installed a 27 group in place of the old Japanese 24 group. Then the transmission started shifting like crap, flaring while shifting to 4th. Thought it was toast but after an hour or two it went back to normal. I did change the transmission fluid anyways, drop and fill 4L.
I plan to install a diesel heater some time and replace the blown front speakers eventually.

I replaced the rh front inner tie rod. I ordered one for a 1990 Mitsubishi Van with power steering. I ordered 2 different ones, one worked but had to cut 1/2" off the end and the other was completely wrong but was only $4...

I may redo the entire front end, minus bushings(ball joints and tie rods) but there's still frame rust that'll need attention and the timing belt should be changed soon. And valve cover gasket...

Return to “Member Rides”