Adding a 'Thanks' or 'Like' counter to posts like on RFD

Report a bug, or request a feature...

Moderator: mark

RichD

Re: Adding a 'Thanks' or 'Like' counter to posts like on RFD

Post by RichD »

yojimbo wrote:
mararmeisto wrote:'Liking' or 'thanking' is already identifiable by gauging the length of the thread: many posts, people liked it; posts that have the words 'thnx' 'thanks' 'thank you' and the like could viewed as expressing gratitude to the various posters for having shared.

Also, for those individuals wishing to keep track of particular threads that are important to them, try using the "subscribe" function - it's there are every thread. Subscribed threads can be reviewed from every user's control panel.

Adding fuctionality that is already inherent in the capabilities of the system is not adding functionality - it'll end up being little more than a waste of Mark's time and resources.

N.B. not upset or ranting, just stating a point.

This is true, but its very dry, I've seen this function in action, and its just nice, more personable. Plus people dont always reply, especially if they get a laugh, they dont want to 'me too' the thread. Back in the old days people would often do that, its not fashionable anymore.

A little love never hurt anyone, unless thats the way they wanted it.

SOMEONE CLICK LIKE GODDAMIT :X
Exactly. All the best sites use weighted commenting through user ratings. See Reddit, Slashdot, and so on and so forth.

Some people do not understand that the web has evolved over the past decade and social engagement is key to success. They just want things to work the way they learned it first; change is too hard.
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

Not resisting change, just identifying current capabilities of the forum.

Maybe a more important question, can the current phpBB 'engine' support this requested functionality? If not, then the issue will be whether or not Mark is ready to change the whole forum over to a different format.

Mark?
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
yojimbo
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 Delica L300 - Jasper

Post by yojimbo »

1994 L300 Jasper
1986 Scimitar 1.8Ti
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

Then I've nothing more to type.
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

you can also add a bot plug in for the facebook like button 'like' other phpbbs forums are doing.

Return to “Site Suggestions & General Feedback”