Deli Camp - May Long Weekend?

kb&2dogs
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 89 BushBunny

Re: Deli Camp - May Long Weekend?

Post by kb&2dogs »

TardisDeli wrote:Hi all,

SET-UP TIME ?? Do yo'll want our help setting up camp on Friday afternoon ?
As we TardisDeli and Falco are leaving Nanaimo 10am ish, we want to co-ordinate with whoever is setting up site -- your earlier posting said Brian was going in with the pups Thursday ?? So we can help set up tents, rake & clear site, tie knots for tarps, scare away strangers etc etc. What time would be best so we don't arrive just after Brian has finished setting up everything himself ?? Order us what time to arrive by, otherwise we'll dawdle along sampling ice-creams.
He will have a couple of our friends with him to help, but any extra help would not be refused. I hope to be there by noon-ish Friday. We anticipate a fair bit of set up, but we are 9 in all, not including dogs, so that's lots of equipment

COMMUNICATIONS ?? Do you have preferred communications channels, otherwise we're on the usual frequencies for Vancouver Delica's: FRS Family Radio on Channel 5 sub 22, call sign TardisDelica. CB channel 4 , TardisDelica. Marine VHF channel 69, or hailing channel 16, Boat Name "Whaler Nautique". Jay cell 604-961-1390.

ROAD WASHOUT ?? does this road washout apply to us?
http://www.tsa.gov.bc.ca/sites_trails/alerts.htm
Alert: South Coast District The road to Snow Creek Recreation site has a washout at km 19.3 on Taylor Arm. This will remain this way until further notice. It is still accessible from Sterling Arm to South Taylor Main. (Posted December 21, 2007)
don't see anything on the current page about the washout, and the forestry guy didn't mention it, so I hope it's ok now. Still waiting to hear from him on the road conditions, so if there is anything I'm sure he'll mention it.

Cheers, Christine (Chocolate Brownies for Friday Night, RiceChris Squares Saturday).
Tres Cool!!
kb&2dogs (one here and one in doggy heaven)
(formerly Kathy Brian Seiko & Tundra)
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

Kathy & Brian: after looking at your photo album... do we even need to bring anything? That tent is HUGE! Does it all fit into that tiny little trailer you were dragging around?

And that was a sad picture... the last one in the album... with your Delica on the flat-bed trailer. Heck, it made ME upset when I think of the story you told. I'm sure we'll have a good sob in our beers this weekend when you re-tell it, again, for those who haven't heard/read.

Looking forward to meeting you both.
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
kb&2dogs

Post by kb&2dogs »

mararmeisto wrote:Kathy & Brian: after looking at your photo album... do we even need to bring anything? That tent is HUGE! Does it all fit into that tiny little trailer you were dragging around?

And that was a sad picture... the last one in the album... with your Delica on the flat-bed trailer. Heck, it made ME upset when I think of the story you told. I'm sure we'll have a good sob in our beers this weekend when you re-tell it, again, for those who haven't heard/read.

Looking forward to meeting you both.
Actually, most of it does fit into the truck and trailer. Believe it or not, we're only bringing a couple tents, we actually can accommodate about 25 if we bring everything, but that requires more vehicles/bigger vehicles to trek everything up. As to what you need to bring, well, beverages, firewwood, yourselves, your party personna......

Are you still planning on coming on Saturday, in time for the party hearty Saturday night?
coaxial

Post by coaxial »

TardisDeli wrote:
COMMUNICATIONS ?? Do you have preferred communications channels, otherwise we're on the usual frequencies for Vancouver Delica's: FRS Family Radio on Channel 5 sub 22, call sign TardisDelica. CB channel 4 , TardisDelica. Marine VHF channel 69, or hailing channel 16, Boat Name "Whaler Nautique". Jay cell 604-961-1390.
I'll be at Nanaimo (Departure Bay) Saturday 8:05 am, will you guys still be around to convoy out? want to stop by and visit glen in coombs as it is right on the way? I was thinking of a quick pitstop there to grab a couple small parts I need. Also coombs has goats on a roof - can't miss that :)

I got an antenna ($30 radio shack special), works good, we were testing and getting 5km range out of our CBs last night. We got best results with channel 40 so I'll be on that. Also FSR 5/22.
ROAD WASHOUT ?? does this road washout apply to us?
http://www.tsa.gov.bc.ca/sites_trails/alerts.htm
Alert: South Coast District - The road to Snow Creek Recreation site has a washout at km 19.3 on Taylor Arm. This will remain this way until further notice. It is still accessible from Sterling Arm to South Taylor Main. (Posted December 21, 2007)

I'm not sure if this is referring to the short way in at the west end of the lake or the long way in via the east end of the lake. Either way we have multiple ways to get there and this is a fairly old report anyways. I assume we will go this route? http://tinyurl.com/459hne .
Attachments
camping.jpg
camping.jpg (12.05 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
coaxial

Post by coaxial »

Nevermind I see on a proper map now taylor arm is the western arm of the lake and sterling is the south eastern. So we may have to take the long way in if that washout still exists.
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

I'll be at Nanaimo (Departure Bay) Saturday 8:05 am, will you guys still be around to convoy out? want to stop by and visit glen in coombs as it is right on the way? I was thinking of a quick pitstop there to grab a couple small parts I need. Also coombs has goats on a roof - can't miss that :)
Hi Coaxial, we will be getting into Duke Point at 00:35hrs, Friday. Driving to CC Autos and arriving there between 01:00hrs and 01:30hrs, Friday, and crashing there (figuratively speaking). At around 08:00hrs we will be rolling out of our vans, drinking coffee and talking with Glen about Delicas, of course. Our plan is to be at the site by noon, Friday. I don't think I am up to getting back to the ferry terminal for 08:05hrs, Saturday... smiles ~ but I do believe that the Tardisdeli will be on 40 for CB maybe try them when you get to the east end of the lake, you might get more range on the water.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
coaxial

Post by coaxial »

Oh you are leaving nanaimo friday not saturday, got it. I'll see you at the lake then.
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

coaxial wrote:Oh you are leaving nanaimo friday not saturday, got it. I'll see you at the lake then.
I can probably be there by about 9h if you're still going to be there. We could travel together from there.
JPL
delica 304
Vehicle: 1992 delica GLX

Post by delica 304 »

I have to stay home and mind the manor :-(

Paul, as the other red-blooded sailor, it's up to you to show the other how to drink and how to spin a good yarn of days on (or under, in your case) the raging main!
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

We're driving up from Victoria. I have to work there on friday :-(

hit Nanaimo around 20:00ish and go up to the campsite.

How will peeps know which route to take ?

I'll try the mission road way I guess. :? 8-)

Jesse
coaxial

Post by coaxial »

I figure I'll try the short way and if that doesn't work it is only 20km back to the other end to go the long way
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

delica 304 wrote:I have to stay home and mind the manor :-(

Paul, as the other red-blooded sailor, it's up to you to show the other how to drink and how to spin a good yarn of days on (or under, in your case) the raging main!
I'll miss you, 304. I was hoping you could make it, actually, it would be nice to see you again....... perhaps we will drink to you in your absence... smiles.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
GREENME@U
Vehicle: Delica star-wagon

Post by GREENME@U »

:? so how many delicas are going???thks
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

GREENME@U wrote::? so how many delicas are going???thks
Will numbers determine whether or not you attend? Is there a critical mass required before you show? :o

Okay, just joking. By my count it looks like more than ½ dozen but maybe not quite one dozen. Also seems like more from the continent than from this Island, but I wasn't really keeping track of where everyone is coming from.
JPL
kb&2dogs

Post by kb&2dogs »

Brian, 2 friends and one big dog are on the road already, hoping to be there by noon today and secure us the primo campsite of all times. I read the war act to my passengers that the bus pulls out at 8:15 Friday morning whether they are there or not. Looking forward to meeting everyone there.

Drive safely!

Return to “Events - BC Vancouver Island”