Re: 2008 Calgary Deli meet 16 November

Post by storm80y »

0900 :o I don't usually get out of bed till 0915
Erebus
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed

Post by Erebus »

Doesn't your Deli have an autopilot? Or do you have an SO who can drive?

Remember, the early bird gets the worm. Never thought worms were that tasty anyway. :-D
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".
White Mule
Vehicle: 1991 Delica L300

Post by White Mule »

Nice meeting you in Cochrane this morning. Hope you had a reat trip. Thanks for the tips and thanks Green for the sticker. This is where I got the repair guide (google: pitstop books)
Cheers
Thanks,

White Mule
storm80y
Vehicle: Vanyaneros

Post by storm80y »

Sorry I missed ya's, messed up with setting my alarm.
Erebus
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed

Post by Erebus »

The alarm went off way too early. I looked out the window to find everything covered in snow. A careful drive on snowy and icy roads got us to the Tim Horton's in Cochrane. There we met Jungle Jon, Betty, White Mule, CrazyFamilyof5, Green1, and ourselves (Erebus). Regrets came from piyeguyo last night, as he had guests.
Six Delicas in a row. One just has to be different and back in.
Six Delicas in a row. One just has to be different and back in.
TimHorton3895.jpg (54 KiB) Viewed 7676 times
We did see a Delica in Cochrane, but it didn't join us. Both White Mule and CrazyFamilyof5 couldn't spend the day, so only 4 Delicas with 7 people and one dog headed west. The 1A was not too bad, but the Forestry Trunk Road was snow covered, with an icy layer below. After about 70 km, we turned onto the TranAlta road towards the Ghost River. The TransAlta road is a narrow winding dirt road, and pretty rough for the first ten kilometres. Several centimetres of snow had fallen overnight, and was still falling. Where it was packed down it was pretty slippery, so on one or two hills we would go 1 at a time. Handy to have radios to be able to tell the next vehicle that you've made it to the top.
PhotOpOnRoad3899.jpg
PhotOpOnRoad3899.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 7675 times
From here, we could look down and back at the Ghost River floodplain. This shot looks to the southeast, but we would be going west.
GhostRiver3898.jpg
GhostRiver3898.jpg (49.44 KiB) Viewed 7675 times
At the steep hill that drops down to river level, we take a walk to check it out first. All is fine, so down we go, one at a time, using 1st gear in low range so no brakes are needed.
TopOfHill3903.jpg
TopOfHill3903.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 7675 times
A 5-kilometre drive along the Ghost River, and we arrive at river branch that was easy to cross last October, but this time is a little deep. We watched a Jeep cross and listened to him bottom out. There wasn't any point in trying to cross this little branch because 500 metres further the main creek would probably be a foot or more deep. We all gathered in Betty's 8-seater for lunch.
GhostRiver3910.jpg
GhostRiver3910.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 7675 times
When we get back to the steep hill, we find it a little slicker than before, since several vehicles had now spun their way up. Three of us make it up no problem, but the fourth (I won't embarrass Jon by naming him) has trouble. Even though his tires look better than Green1's, they just dont have the grip.
Green1 coming up the hill, the river in the background
Green1 coming up the hill, the river in the background
Green1comingUp3912.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 7680 times
We decided I'll head down to tow him up, since I have a good trailer hitch. When I get down there, I discover a Unimog is there, and willing to tow him up. Much better idea. Half way up, they have to stop, so the Unimog can tow a pickup truck with chains that got stuck. Then they finish pulling Jon up. At this point I'm wondering if I'll get up by myself, but it turns out to be no problem.
Unimog&Jon3915.jpg
Unimog&Jon3915.jpg (56.94 KiB) Viewed 7676 times
After that is is just a matter of an 80 km drive on icy snowy roads back to Cochrane, where we all go our separate ways.

And a good time was had by all. Green1 has a wish list: he's always wanted a photo of a Delica pulling a Hummer out of trouble. Me, I want a photo of my Delica pulling a Unimog out of trouble. Ya, I know, it ain't gonna happen :-D
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".
Green1
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Post by Green1 »

a couple of pics I took...

I had a good time, despite the road conditions, and I hope everyone else did as well, as always I hope for a better turn out next time, though we are up from our last attempt.

And Jon, don't be too embarrassed... it was after all a Unimog, to be any more capable off road it would have to have treads! (Though I am curious as to what tires you have so that I don't buy the same ones!)
CrazyFamilyof5
Vehicle: 1991 Exceed Green/Gray crystal lite

Post by CrazyFamilyof5 »

Judging from the pictures I missed a good drive. It was great to meet you all in the morning at Tim's, nice to put faces to Delicas. Thanks to Green for the stickers and White Mule for the info on the repair book. Hope to do this again sometime soon.
turf'd
Vehicle: 92 Delica Wondervan

Post by turf'd »

Those photos look great! I imagine a good time was had by all. Would have liked to attend but alas I was tied up in other things. Who knew there were any unimogs in Alberta?

Looking forward to the next meet!
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

turf'd wrote:...Who knew there were any unimogs in Alberta?
Actually, talking with the driver of a brand-new 'Mog' here in Victoria, he said the North American distributor is located in Alberta - that's where he got his from. Sweet machines, but as I'm unlikely to race Dakar in the near future, I don't have a need for one.
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
Jungle Jon
Vehicle: Toyota Tacoma

Post by Jungle Jon »

I guess that'll teach me for putting off mounting the snow tires until December, :oops: I guess if you've got to be helped up, cant complain about being helped up by a mog. She's got a nice beauty mark below her wiper from those big tires kicking up a rock. :roll:
It was good seeing everybody again, and some new faces. What a great trip. Thanks again for putting it together Erebus.
Green1, I'm still looking out for you! I usually see 1 or 2 Delicas a week. I bumped into Pavel and his Chamonix at a garage sale last weekend, (Yes there ARE garage sales in late November in Calgary, go figure. Hi Pavel :M ) and then this morning I zoomed past a blue and white, 4x4 stickered, BC plated Delica. I waved but they looked shell shocked at encountering rush-hour Deerfoot trail at 6:45 in the morning. :shock:
Once I get my pics developed and scanned, I'll put them up.

Return to “Events - Alberta”