Thinking about importing a Pajero 2.8 Diesel

A close "cousin" of the Mitsubishi Delica
ukrboy
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Ralliart

Post by ukrboy »

Hi everyone, I am currently thinking about importing a Pajero II 2.8 Diesel.
This vehicle would be used for daily driving/winter driving/road trips. How are they on diesel? What kind of mileage are you getting? Any Calgary members here? I'd love to see one in person, get a feel for it and possibly drive one? Will reward with some coffee :-)
Any input is welcome!
pajerry
Vehicle: 94' SWB Pajero, 94' LWB Pajero 3.5L

Re: Thinking about importing a Pajero 2.8 Diesel

Post by pajerry »

Hey, if you're set on a diesel montero or love mitsubishi they are great trucks. I get around 14/L/100kms average city/hwy, sometimes as low as 11L/100km on flat road trips.

The problem with diesel in Calgary is they rely on a glowplug system to start, and its pretty damn cold there. When I drive up from the coast every christmas, the truck hates it. Windows don't work as well, starts rough unless its plugged in, and probably needs alot of $$ to get it working 100% and reliable. Another thing to consider, we have a SWB so its unique, but if you're looking for a LWB, why not just buy a gas montero for a fraction of the price from the US or locally and be done with it? Or even a 4 runner, pathfinder, or xterra, in that order?
'94 SWB Pajero 2.8L ITD, '94 LWB Pajero 3.5L DOHC 8-)
Firesong
Vehicle: 1998 L400 Delica Chamonix

Post by Firesong »

I agree in terms of reason... If it's diesel you want then go for it. Like pajerry said, you do need to winterize them for the cold. Thin oil, block heater and plug them in if available. But it can be done. I'm in Saskatoon running a diesel Delica and I like them. Honestly I would probably look at a montero myself if I was interested in a gas SUV. But I love these darn vans. The city of Saskatoon runs swb diesel pajeros for parking summer and winter.
pajerry

Post by pajerry »

:shock: In my quest for a 4dr pajero/montero I've been doing more research.

I did a cost benefit analysis between a higher mileage 3.5 DOHC and our current diesel with major maintenance for another couple hundred thousand kms, and the diesel ended up being cheaper after only the first year, mainly because of the inferior mileage of the 3.5. (much worse, at 16-19 l/100kms vs 11-14l/100kms).

I took into account setting both vehicles to a reliable base line of basic maintenance, oil, fluids, belts etc. assuming 25000kms of yearly use.

I also included the timing belt and valve stem seals job on the DOHC that most need immediately upon purchase ($$), and an inevitable head and gasket job for the diesel ($$$) with all hoses/belts/fluids etc for the 2.8L around 200k to 250k.

What I found, is that in less than a year, the gas model will end up costing up to 1500 more a year, just in fuel (at Calgary gas prices, not lower-mainland) :shock: :shock:

Also, after doing more research on the OZ forum. If you add bigger tires, armor, roof racks etc, the fuel economy drops to as low as 21+L/100kms.

I have to admit, I've been eager to switch to a gas model, and even testdrove one yesterday before hearing of 450km per 75-80L of fuel, and had $$$ flashing in my eyes! Im really happy I took time to do the spreadsheet!
ukrboy
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Ralliart

Post by ukrboy »

Firesong wrote:I agree in terms of reason... If it's diesel you want then go for it. Like pajerry said, you do need to winterize them for the cold. Thin oil, block heater and plug them in if available. But it can be done. I'm in Saskatoon running a diesel Delica and I like them. Honestly I would probably look at a montero myself if I was interested in a gas SUV. But I love these darn vans. The city of Saskatoon runs swb diesel pajeros for parking summer and winter.
Thanks, That shouldn't be a problem. It will be parked in an insulated garage overnight and plugged in at work.
pajerry wrote::shock: In my quest for a 4dr pajero/montero I've been doing more research.

I did a cost benefit analysis between a higher mileage 3.5 DOHC and our current diesel with major maintenance for another couple hundred thousand kms, and the diesel ended up being cheaper after only the first year, mainly because of the inferior mileage of the 3.5. (much worse, at 16-19 l/100kms vs 11-14l/100kms).

I took into account setting both vehicles to a reliable base line of basic maintenance, oil, fluids, belts etc. assuming 25000kms of yearly use.

I also included the timing belt and valve stem seals job on the DOHC that most need immediately upon purchase ($$), and an inevitable head and gasket job for the diesel ($$$) with all hoses/belts/fluids etc for the 2.8L around 200k to 250k.

What I found, is that in less than a year, the gas model will end up costing up to 1500 more a year, just in fuel (at Calgary gas prices, not lower-mainland) :shock: :shock:

Also, after doing more research on the OZ forum. If you add bigger tires, armor, roof racks etc, the fuel economy drops to as low as 21+L/100kms.

I have to admit, I've been eager to switch to a gas model, and even testdrove one yesterday before hearing of 450km per 75-80L of fuel, and had $$$ flashing in my eyes! Im really happy I took time to do the spreadsheet!
That's exactly my thinking. There are gas Monteros for sale, newer and not expensive at all. I'm just worried that it will be a gas guzzler.

Thanks for your replies guys!
Firesong
Vehicle: 1998 L400 Delica Chamonix

Post by Firesong »

On the overlander forum fuel mileage comes up too. It sounds like the monteros get similar fuel mileage up until you get a heavy foot. But honestly my 2.8 can be an extremely thirsty pig when I start driving it aggressively too. I just love the van aspect.
pajerry

Post by pajerry »

Haha, we just bought our second pajero.

We really needed the four doors and extra cargo room, so got the same year, 1993, but with the 3.5L DOHC V6. Man does this truck move compared to the diesel, but yes, you can watch the fuel gauge drop if you're working it much above 3000RPM. Hwy mileage is 15L/100kms in the mountains, so not much worse although I was playing very nice despite the temptation. Very nice smooth quiet ride, but I think for city and off road, I still prefer the diesel.

I find it hard to drive, because if you're not paying attention, you're going over 130km/hr in no time. I think I better install cruise control.... Its also nice not having to wind up the little 2.8 all the time in the mountains.

Thinking of selling the SWB, we'll see though I'm pretty attached to it. Unless a member wants it....

Return to “Pajero”