L300 a/c - compressor wires

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
Growlerbearnz
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Re: L300 a/c - compressor wires

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Great!

The +12v wire to the compressor doesn't go straight to earth/engine body, it first goes through a coil behind the pulley. If you look at the compressor with the engine running but AC off you'll see part of the pulley spins, but the steel disc at the front stays still. When you turn on the AC the coil creates a magnetic field which attracts the disc to the pulley, and starts it spinning, running the compressor.
Compressor copy.jpg
Compressor copy.jpg (55.72 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.
ynwa
Vehicle: L300 Starwagon TD

Re: RE: Re: L300 a/c - compressor wires

Post by ynwa »

Growlerbearnz wrote:Great!

The +12v wire to the compressor doesn't go straight to earth/engine body, it first goes through a coil behind the pulley. If you look at the compressor with the engine running but AC off you'll see part of the pulley spins, but the steel disc at the front stays still. When you turn on the AC the coil creates a magnetic field which attracts the disc to the pulley, and starts it spinning, running the compressor.
Compressor copy.jpg
Interesting side bar, my bus has a wire spliced into tue ground side that ran to a toggle hacked into the side of the shifter housing.

Had no idea what it was until recently. I guess I'll find out when i try to run the ac. :) seems my stock switch may be somewhat buggered if I'm reading into that right.

Good post.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
1991 L300 TD Low Roof
1992 L300 TD Low Roof
1992 L300 TD High Roof
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Post by lrp374 »

I was repairing a broken vacuum relay for the idle bump when the A/C is on after I had some work done on my van over the winter. I found a wire in the same loom that looked like a ground wire so I tested it and now my A/C doesn't work properly. Does anyone no where this wire goes. It seems to be something to do with the A/C. Ypelex's pictures ac1 &2 seem to show it going under the floor? I've looked and I see nothing.
Attachments
Unknown wire!!
Unknown wire!!
100_8551b.JPG (386.41 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Stella87
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Delica L300 P35W

Post by Stella87 »

lrp374 wrote:I was repairing a broken vacuum relay for the idle bump when the A/C is on after I had some work done on my van over the winter. I found a wire in the same loom that looked like a ground wire so I tested it and now my A/C doesn't work properly. Does anyone no where this wire goes. It seems to be something to do with the A/C. Ypelex's pictures ac1 &2 seem to show it going under the floor? I've looked and I see nothing.
I just made a fresh post about my ac issues, and as far as i understand it, that could be your thermo switch. GrowlerbearNZ said that he bypassed his thermo sensor by the coolant hose and put a loop terminal on it connecting it to the top of the idle up solenoid (if i remember correctly) because the way that switch works is that it sends that wire to ground anyways unless the coolant gets too hot, in which case that sensor takes the wire off ground and turns off the compressor. Have a look through the thread in the technical library and look for the pic with the blue and yellow wire going to the thermo sensor spade terminal. In your picture it looks as though the ran a new wire for the blue and yellow because that wire does not look factory
*edit* also im tired sorry for the jumbled post
"Delilah" 91 L300 P35W Exceed
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Post by lrp374 »

The wire in question turned out to be the ground for the condenser fans and likely a few other things. I put it back ( and the repaired vacuum solenoid ) and all worked except for the smoke I let out of the A/C Timer relay. I guess some of my testing was not non-destructive. A well placed jumper in place of the circuit board solved that problem on a temporary basis and now it blows nice cold air --48 degrees F.
Growlerbearnz
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Damn, I missed this post the first time around! But you figured it out :-)

AC blowing -48F air! That's pretty good AC!
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

Return to “L300 Technical”