Side door won't unlock - Is it just the cold?

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
JMK
Vehicle: 92 Chamonix

Side door won't unlock - Is it just the cold?

Post by JMK »

Last night it went to almost -30. I used the remote to lock and then unlock the doors, except the side door would not unlock. The kids had to crawl out via the front or back. Subsequent attempts to unlock it with key, pull the knob up, etc., all failed. It is still locked tight.

About the same time, the electric rear gate switch stopped working. It does not activate the dashbaord display either.

Then this morning, I pull into my driveway and the fuel gauage goes from half a tank to empty in one big swan dive. No fuel on my driveway so I assume wiring or sensor problem. Again, caused by the cold weather?

About the only bright note was it started at -26 with no assistance from any block heaters which haven't been installed yet. If the Exceed's do not have the dual batteries I'm starting to think maybe the Chamonix is not such a bad model for the prairies.
piyeguyo
Vehicle: 1991 Super Exceed

Re: Side door won't unlock - Is it just the cold?

Post by piyeguyo »

I got the same problem with the side door a few days ago... When I unlock my door this will unlock the other 2 (passenger + side door), but if try the key on the side door, it's kind of hard to unlock it. I thought it was the cold...

BTW, mine is a Super Exceed and it's got the 2 batteries. Not only the Chamonix have this option.

I didn't even try to use the car this morning... I think -28 is too cold for it so I decided to give it a break and left it resting in the garage.
JMK

Post by JMK »

2 batteries as well. So probably all they did with the Chamonix is gave you a ski rack, which was still in the plastic wrap in my case BTW! I guess if you wanted green carpet you got a Chamonix, blue you got an Exceed? In my case I simply got the first unit that came along that was in good shape.

I just went out and crawled into the back. I gingerly pulled the side door knob up and down a few times and eventually it seemed to 'catch' and unlocked.

When I turned the ignition on, the 'unlock' indcator light was on. I turned the switch off and the light went out. Turned it on again, and the light stayed out. Oh well...

Also when I turned on the ignition, the fuel guage needle started to climb, and then decided it could not keep it up anymore. I think my Deli is a male with an enlarged prostate. Sigh... Forecast low for tonight is only -9, but then goes back to -16 for a fews days. THe lower heater hoses seem hard to access to install my inline coolant heater, so time to run into the city and get one of those stick on oil pan heaters I guess.

Thanks for the follow-up. We should start a chart as to the lowest recorded temperature anyone has successfully achieved an unassisted (E.G. not plugged in) start. The Diesel Toyota Land Cruiser I've got sitting here with its 24V start system is truly amazing in that regard.
Delicanadabc
Vehicle: Super exceed 91

Post by Delicanadabc »

How to fix the door.

- Remove the loock button from the inside the door.
- Get some greas in a can prayer, with the small tube.
- Insert and apply the greas until you feel happy and smooth.
- Close the door and use the key a few times to lock and unlock.

-That chould take care of your door issue.

Regarding the two batteries it is an option to all Delicas and standard to some.
It is simply two smaller batteries rather then one big one.
It does not mean that will have moer CA becouse you have two batteries.(as far as I know).

Take care.
piyeguyo
Vehicle: 1991 Super Exceed

Post by piyeguyo »

I think you're going to win with -26... I had problems starting the van at -13 or something like that a few weeks ago, and I decided I don't want to damage anything by trying to start the car when it's too cold and I can't plug it in.

The door lock switch worked fine on mine for a while and then all of a sudden, it stopped working... As I'm "mechanically-challenged", I took it to my mechanic here in Calgary and he had it working in no time... 'Course that cost me almost $100, but it's nice to have anyway.

I'm curious to know where you are, Banff??
JMK

Post by JMK »

Thanks guys.

I'm across the bridge in Banff. You can give me a call if you're around and come by for coffee. Just send me a note and I'll send you my number.

Two batteries in parallel, will give you 2X the number of amp hours. CCA is the number of amps the battery can deliver at 0 degrees F for 30 seconds and not drop below 7.2 volts. So it would follow that putting them in parrallel will give you more CCA.

Return to “L300 Technical”