Engine Auxillary Gauge Installation

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
Fionna
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 68 VW bus

Engine Auxillary Gauge Installation

Post by Fionna »

Hi,

I have done a search for this topic, but haven't found an overall discussion of it. In order to fully monitor the engine to avoid damage I am considering in the following gauges: Oil Temperature, Oil Pressure, Exhaust Gas Temperature plus an Amp Meter and Hobs Meter.

If anyone can help me with the following questions, I'd really appreciate it:

1) In the past I have used VDO gauges and I have recently seen Stewart Warner and Autometre gauges. It has also been recommended to me that I use a multi-display LCD screen. I have found VDO satisfactory but I have no way of knowing if they were accurate. I'm not keen on a mutli-display because if the display breaks down you lose everything. How do other owners feel about which make and or model of gauges to use? Which are considered to be the most reliable and accurate?

2) With 5 gauges, placement of the actual gauges seems problematic. One solution seems to be to have a plate made up that would attach to the underside of the dashboard where the radio and ashtray holder is with the other end fastening to the gear lever pod. Any thoughts on this? And what are other possible solutions that have been tried successfully (or otherwise)?

3) Location of the oil temp/pressure sensors - it has been suggested to me that there is a fitting available that will achieve both, that goes between the oil filter and the engine. I don't really care for this because everytime you take the filter off, there would be chance of damaging the sensor or its connections. I seem to remember that VDO had a dual sensor for temperature and pressure that went into the oil pressure socket. What is the usual thing to do? Put the oil pressure sensor in the oil pressure position? and where does the oil temperature sensor go?

4) The pyro sensor - this goes after the turbo? But where exactly and how is it fitted?

5) Any recommendations for the installation work for the gauges? CVI has said they would do the mechanical work, but not the electrical work.

Thanks everyone for any help you can give on these questions! If anyone has very specific information and would like to talk to me directly, my phone number is 604 682-4569.

Fionna :-D
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Re: Engine Auxillary Gauge Installation

Post by TardisDeli »

Hi Fionna,

I just saw your post that wasnt answered, so am re-activating it.

Hoping others who have installs will reply so you can see them.

Jay of The TardisDeli helped Delicat install his pyro and boost and SVO system, so we have some familiarity. Too bad that Delicat has just left to drive across Canada so can't see his van. Jay also helps others with various wiring stuff (he normally works on boats so Delii are almost the same) so he can show you approximately where Delicat installed his guages, and help you if you decide to install.

Maybe we can organize a Deli-Meat so you can see some, I guess you're in the Vancouver area?

Cheers, Christine.
EricN
Vehicle: 90 exceed

Post by EricN »

1: Oil temp (transmission or engine?) Either way, your not towing or running a race car, unless you just want to have another guage to look at, dont waste your money.
2: Oil pressure: Be honest, what are the chances you would even notice it running low? What is too low? I would just stick with the stock idiot light unless again, you want it just because.
For oil pressure and temp you could "t" off of the stock idiot light sending unit port. Wouldnt be as accurate for the temp (you would want that in the oil pan) but it would be close enough to get to say you have an oil temp guage.
3: Ampmeter: Bad idea completely, if anything, go with a voltmeter. Even then, it requires you to actually look at it, idiot light, is eye catching.
4: Hobbs meter???? Again, not sure why unless you spend 50% of the time idling.
5: Pyrometer: Ok, fair enough on that one but I have to admit, I have come to the point of ignoring mine. Can put the sensor pre turbo (most "accurate") or post turbo (take away a couple hundred degrees) there is lots of room to do either, I put mine preturbo and consistantly get temps over 1500 f with ease. Average cruise temp is about 900-1000f, idle is 400f. You need to drill and tap the manifold, put a fitting in and then the sensor slides in through a compression fitting ferrel. Tighten down the compression nut and you are done.

I dumped the stock guage pod with the inclinometer and altimeter and put my boost (also pointless) and pyrometer in a pod I built on there. Works good. NOt sure why CVI wouldnt do the wiring, they are all quite straight forward. Maybe they meant the price they quoted didnt include wiring??

As for what kind, if you really want to do all this, I would get guages that have idiot lights built in. I have one for my EGT and it draws your attention when it lights up. I will look up what the brand is and post back later.
phunka

Post by phunka »

Hey Eric, thanks for the info.. I'm kind of curious about the EGT, mostly just because I like gauges, but also it can't hurt in the long run either.

Any pictures of your gauges online already?
oceaneer77
Vehicle: 91 exceed, 87 porshe 928, 67 datsun

Post by oceaneer77 »

Hi

I mounted my gauges under the radio as they just fit..

I have oil pressure volt and a combo pyro/boost.
The gauges are 2 inch.
The oil presure is the most usefull as the stock oil light only turns on at 3-5 psi long after the engine has sustained terminal damage.
The pyro and boost gauge were quite usefull in the past but with my new injection pump which is back to factory settinngs you cannot get the pyro temps to high anymore.. but the van is slower!
The boost never use it.. and the volt meter is good for camping as you know how long you can leave the lights on without jumping..

I went with Equis for the oil pressure and volt at i am not all that concerned about 1/16th of psi or volt accuracy and glowshift for the boost /pyro as it was the only 2 inch combo gauge i could find.

Thanks
Oceaneer
Attachments
PB120003.jpg
PB120003.jpg (37.3 KiB) Viewed 6261 times
EricN
Vehicle: 90 exceed

Post by EricN »

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_de ... er-470.htm
That is the pyrometer, the boost guage is a $20 Princess Auto mechanical one.
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww28 ... _16551.jpg

$150 and you can have it all as i am selling the truck.
delicat
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Post by delicat »

After going across the Rockies carrying close to 2000lbs extra I can say that I love my pyro.

First of, it gives you a baseline as to how your van is running. If one day you notice the egt is getting higher than where it normally sits for the same operation you know there`s something wrong. That happened to me and turned out one of my injectors was getting quite dirty. Cleaned the injectors and my egt was back to normal and the van ran much better. (I would have dragged this issue much longer without the pyro)

Also, it tells you when to slow down. I`m sure like Eric says that you can ignore it and keep on trucking but for me while on a road trip I can`t afford to break down so I`d rather slow down.

Basically, I would highly recommend it to everyone, way before any other mods. I like most of Eric`s thoughts for the other gauges...
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
Fionna
Vehicle: 68 VW bus

Post by Fionna »

Hi
Thanyou to all who replied to my post. I have been very busy organising a glider camp. Both Marian and I are glider pilots.

I am used to having gauges to monitor the engine both on our boat and also on the VW van with which we have done many long trips.

The temp and pressure gauges I believe really help if aneye is kept on them, which I do with a general scan periodically. This is also something you get used to in power flying as a matter of course.

The pyro for the very reasons given.

The ammeter or voltmeter because we are planning on putting in an electrical fridge and the power consumption will be a major concern.

The hobbs meter to keep an eye on maintenance times. I realise that the mileage will do as well.

I did see a heads up display that goes on top of the console right in front of the driver but I am not sure that would I like that in front of me all the time. Has anyone put intruments between the main console and the wind screen, or between the console and the air temperature/clock display.

Has anyone heard of, or dealt with Specialty Engineering in New Westminster?

I am open to any ideas so if there are more comments I would love to hear them.

Thanks again

Fionna
Erebus
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed

Post by Erebus »

Fionna wrote:I did see a heads up display that goes on top of the console right in front of the driver but I am not sure that would I like that in front of me all the time. Has anyone put instruments between the main console and the wind screen, or between the console and the air temperature/clock display.
My pyro is mounted on top of the steering column, below the instrument panel. Works okay there for a single gauge.

Someone did post a photo of 3 gauges mounted on top of the instrument cluster, can't remember if they were 2" or 1.5" gauges. Given how high we sit in the Delica, it really doesn't block vision. If I put more gauges (I would like oil pressure/temp and voltmeter) I will probably put them there.
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".

Return to “L300 Technical”