Long term reliability?

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
Pete and Jackie
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/

Long term reliability?

Post by Pete and Jackie »

Just having a few misgivings. Imported 1991, 55000 km "boogie bus" for around $4000.00. Failed Prov. Inspection. Have now spent another $2500 on fuel pump, brakes etc. Other bits (wiper blade, lights? etc.) still need attending to in order to pass inspection. Just wondering if anyone can give me any info on other major problems they have had - at what mileage. These vehicles sounded so great, now I am begining to wonder. I wanted to take my family on a cross country trip in this thing - does this sound like a good idea? I have a young adventurous family and need a reliable vehcle, but can't afford to spend more than about $15000. Any opinions? Thanks.
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Wow, $2500 for fuel pump, brake, and etc. Does that involve ordering a whole new fuel pump? I have arranged for a diesel mechanic to change our timing belt (preventative) and look at ordering a seal kit for the fuel pump. I want to do this as many times I have heard of JDM's in general developing leaky fuel pump's, and despite some of the blokes on the Aussie forum drive around with leaky pumps for awhile, I try and keep my vehicles well maintained. I changed for front rotor's and pad's for less then $250, including expensive metallic pads, properly didn't need to right away ether. As for wiper blades and lights that's where forums like this are so hopeful, there is allot of information concerning headlights - even changing the headliner lamp! I explain to quite a few people interested in a Delica that parts and other 'bits' require more foot work then a regular vehicle. I have already talked one fellow out of owning one, he was ready to give me money but is the kind of person that just wants to take his vehicle in when someone is wrong and have it fixed with no questions asked.

I have owned a new Toyota van and a Chev mini van's, and I believe overall (including resale value) I am coming out better financially driving a Delica. I trusted it to drive our family out to Edmonton this year; and we never before had taken a road trip this long. Even if you end up spending $6500, don't you think you have more vehicle for your money then anything available in North America? Hey, I just looked at your tag line!

Feel free to email me any questions, I'm sure anyone else here would also be willing to help if you asked.

Kevin - hoping the fuel pump leak is as simple as new seals and a few hours labor - hey they show you how in the repair manual I have! You can borrow it if you want!
Image Call me BCDelica-less
argo

Post by argo »

howdy,

I'm a certified heavy duty/commercial transport mechanic trained as a motor vehicle inspector, currently working in a marine diesel shop.

I'd be delighted to offer any assistance I can on technical matters,troubleshooting etc.

All I ask in return is that people start posting more part numbers for items which they have managed to cross reference.

I'm awaiting a 92 super exceed in January and would like to aquire belts ,filters, fuel pump and alternator overhaul kits etc in order to have materials on hand for a refit. I would very much appreciate any info.

Regarding brake linings. I always use less agressive non metallic organic ones when possible. They are more succeptible to heat fade, but unlike metallic pads they don't wear out your rotors. If you do go with metallic pads you will very likely have to replace your rotors at every reline. This may be why some parts retailers would rather sell you on the metallic ones.$$
BCDelica

Post by BCDelica »

Cheers, it's great to have some sound knowledge on board! Two quick questions though; people have said the 2.5 Mitsubishi diesel was also can as marine version, is that true, and in all my Canadian travel's I have never came across this Dingleberry? And if I ever get around to putting in a propane injection system in, I'll be full of questions.

Filters come in many brands:

Baldwin Luber-finer (read two read reports there v.good)

fuel bf7534 L-F FP941F
oil bd28 L-F LFP805
air pa 1667-fn LAF222 @ $24

Stores have sourced both Percolator and Fram fuel and oil for me, and the quick lube place down the road stock's a Toyota oil filter that is a perfect match ($38). Took my second Delica's belts in for a match and brought are first Delica's alternator in for a rebuild - big difference ($60 and no slow wipers after start up anymore, etc). I took that in November last year and asked, a month ago, the 70 something gentleman who runs the shop if he remembered the parts he used - he didn't even remember me I think!

I have got my diesel mechanic looking into timing belts and a fuel pump seal kit, but he is dragging his feet but that's the way businesses in Powell River seem to work - great people who do good work, but extra service - yeah what you get it in the lower mainland - isn't there. I could rant too long with stories about that! But I think I should do a good search of the timing belts and tensioners first, our first Delica is coming up to 100,000km soon and even the owners manual recommends changing it at that point. Information out there seems to suggest that a sixteen year old vehicle may need belt changes even more so.

Two of our three parts stores could only source me those $70 buck metallic pads; I have been down that road before with my Astro van. Seems metallic pads and braking with a 3500lb trailer can eat through rotors' fast, go figure. I try, may not be the right idea but seems to work nice, to use engine braking also and hopefully that leads to longer brake life.

Kevin - will work hard to post parts #.
argo

Post by argo »

Sites like this are a great resource. I've been hosed by parts people a few times and would like to help out if I can, by way of digging up less expensive alternatives.

There seems to be two ways to cross reference parts; by number or make and model. Make and model doesn't work very well here so you really need the #'s.

I'm going to ask my agent in Japan about parts prices for belt, kits pumps etc.

Cheers,

Mike [in Sidney]
BCDelica

Post by BCDelica »

Awesome Mike, posted this in Parts also!

Ok got this info off the Delica Club site, I tell yeah, I sure favor those aussie's forum. Any time I have asked them a question they answer in-mass and are so nice!

This link is a engine breakdown for a Pajero, and comparing it to my Delica manual (this morning) it's spot on for the 2.5 engine. Very cool, if we had a download section it's a must to be kept there - great reference. (Mark ? :) )

http://www.pajero.dn.ru/pdf/sport/11.pdf

Here the Delicclub.com's L300 part list - man it would be cool to get those ARB locker in our families Delica!!!! I will be calling in locally for those valve timing belts Monday.

L300
Rear Tail Shaft Uni-joint
HARDY SPICER RU J2045

Thermostat 2.5
MD 997606

Tie rod ends
Pedders TE 715R

Alternator Belt
MD313 660
Dayco 11A 1105

Valve Timing Belt
MD134 377
Dayco 94019 94012

Power Steering Belt
MD 180581
Dayco 13A 0750

Air Con Belt
MB 272652
Dayco 13A 0935

Air Filter
MD 603446
HDA 5886 (or RYCO HDA 5866)
K&N E-4810

Fuel Filter
MB 220900
Z304

Oil Filter
MD 069782
Z313

Shock Absorbers Front
KYB 344111 or 344113
Bilstein F B46-1332
Ironman F 12082GR
GABRIEL GAS RYDER LT G63418

Shock Absorbers Rear
KYB 343226 or 344226
Bilstein B46-1467
Ironman 12076GR

Ball Joints - (2.4L)
Lower BJ275
Upper Right BJ277
Upper Left BJ278

Air Lockers
ARB RD 25

Alternator Belt MD313 660 Dayco 11A 1105
· Valve Timing Belt MD134 377 Dayco 94019 94012
· Power Steering Belt MD 180581 Dayco 13A 0750
Air Con Belt MB 272652 Dayco 13A 0935
· Air Filter MD 603446
· Fuel Filter MB 220900
· Oil Filter MD 069782
· Shock Abs Fr KYB 344111 or 344113
Shock Abs R KYB 343226 or 344226
argo

Post by argo »

that's wicked !

I knew the stuff was out there somewhere. I really appreciate the leg work on your part. I'm not at all good at navigating sites and searching for info.

Many thanks!
BCDelica

Post by BCDelica »

Hey Mike,

If I order up timing belts, am I supposed to order and change any thing else?? I mean any springs or gaskets.

Kev
argo

Post by argo »

I've had a look at the manual [very handy indeed,cheers] and it appears as though there is two timing belts,one driving the valves and fuel pump and a secondary one for the balance shaft. The book says the main pulley must come off the crank, so it would be a good time to renew the front main seal [if it's leaking] The idlers look as though there in a position to carry a good deal of load too so would definately check the bearings in them for smooth operation. I'd have a good look at the rest of the belts while your in there. Lots of people would say do the water pump at the same time too while your have all the interference out of the way.

I saw somewhere on an off shore diesel parts site that they sell timing belt service "kits". It would be nice to know just what comes in the kit.

The book looks pretty straight forward and easy to follow.

Thanks again,

Mike
argo

Post by argo »

Just found the listing for the DAYCO timing belt "kit" #KTBA080
contains 2 belts 2 tensioners and a seal.

I'll call a jobber tomorrow for a price.

Cheers

Return to “L300 Technical”