trailer hitch wanted

Looking for a specific hard-to-find Delica part? Post your request in this section. Commercial postings can be found in "Delica Trader Parts Section".

Moderators: delicanuck, mark

martybc
Vehicle: 92 exceed

trailer hitch wanted

Post by martybc »

I am looking for a trailer hitch for my 92 delica can anyone help
thanks marty
fexlboi
Member's Photo Album: http://dinoevo.de
Vehicle: -

Re: trailer hitch wanted

Post by fexlboi »

Hey martybc, what is so difficult to a) post it in the right category and b) use the search? :? :-)

Would be good to know your location. If you are near Vancouver, talk to Maximum Overdrive in Richmond or E&N Hitch in Langley/Surrey
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

A member since 2007. Hmph. That's longer than me. A bit late for an introduction, would you not say? Tsk-tsk.

I moved the topic into "Parts Wanted".

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
TardisDeli
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Post by TardisDeli »

Hi Marty, its very nice to see you online again, I remember you from a previous post when gave me some info on the road conditions for Harrison, thanks again for your help.

I don't know of any used hitches for sale, but do beware of quality when buying a hitch.

Am replying to you as we are among the few who regularly use the trailer hitch on Delica (we tow our boats -- his boats, her boat, friends boats, Search & Rescue boats, etc) so always chat about hitches when at meets. Some hitches we have seen on delica's are scary, seen bolt on kits that became bent under load, seen some that came on vehicles from Japan that might just hold a child's bicycle.

The strongest and best attached are by E&H Hitch in Burnaby, as Rick loves JDM's and knows the different models, especially L300 and L400. E&H start with a solid hitch with a 2 inch square reciever they pre-make themselves, then do a custom welded install on each vehicle, no need to modify or lose spare tires / extra fuel tank / anti-sway bars / mufflers, but you do lose the little round "bumper" at the back. Takes a couple hours, costs $500 ish, extra if you want them to do the wiring also (done very neatly).

Also, beware what you are planning to tow, as you want to make sure you don't tow more than half your delica vehicles weight. Also, if you are carrying a lot of people and gear already, you need to ensure your trailer has it's own braking system. We use surge brakes on our trailers, as then can be used by any vehicle with a tow hitch. You should also read the posts by Mararmeisto from about 2 years ago, as he wrote about his careful research into towing and decided to install electric brakes in both his tent trailer and the delica to be safe for long distances (he tows up the Coquihalla and through the Rocky Mountains with 6 people aboard also).

I sometimes put a metal basket on the back (from Princess Auto, rated to carry 500 pounds) when doing group camping treks like the Harrison Road as can carry extra firewood and drinking water and camp chairs etc.

We have also towed our fellow delica's who get too enthusiastic about swishing around in the mud.

Very happy to meet you anytime, we're in Burnaby near North Road so Princess Auto is nearby (they sell do it yourself hitch parts and towing stuff) if that is convenient for you, and we'll show you what we've learned to watch for on hitches and towing.

Cheers, Christine.
Christine
Of The TardisDeli My TardisDeli travels thru time and space. Our house is nicknamed the TardisDeli Motel, as so many delii owners visit to share delii stories.
martybc
Vehicle: 92 exceed

Post by martybc »

thanks Christine for the info I will give those guys a call. I am towing a 17ft fiber glass boat I dont think it will be a problem.
I mostly boat in the sea to sky area

thanks again
marty
oceaneer77
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 91 exceed, 87 porshe 928, 67 datsun

Post by oceaneer77 »

If you are in victoria we had ours made out in sooke by driver enterprises.
It is the 3 receiver type and has worked quite well.
I would not tow without an exhaust gas temp meter though as our little engines are already working very hard.

Oceaneer

Return to “Parts Wanted (Non-Commercial)”