How to change the temp probe and thermostat.

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
Big-Bird
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=20974
Vehicle: 96 PE8W Spacegear

How to change the temp probe and thermostat.

Post by Big-Bird »

The 4M40 has great access to most of the engine bay components. If you ever wondered how to work on some common parts for the cooling system...boo-boo I got you covered!
AIR_20150307_00001.jpg
AIR_20150307_00001.jpg (88.37 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Thermostats and Temperature Probes are very important to the 4M40 because when they misbehave they affect fuel economy, glow plug life expectancy(and how the GP system functions). A bad temp probe sends a bogus signal to the computer and prevents the glow plug system from functioning at top efficiency. The Thermostat is stuck open or the rubber seals have gotten hard (age) the coolant will continuously circulate through the rad and in winter the engine won't reach proper operating temps. Fuel won't atomize properly, it certainly won't burn fully and your Delica will have crap fuel economy.

How to fix these???Actually its very easy and best done when the engine is cold.

Remove the intercooler unit and set it aside. Drain and capture the coolant at the butterfly valve located on lower rad tank (drivers side). The valve should be turned 1 to 1.5 turns, any more than that and the plug pops out and coolant sprays everywhere. Also remove the rad cap and the Air-Plug(in my hand) located beside the fresh air intake vent for your heater/AC system
AIR_20150307_00004.jpg
AIR_20150307_00004.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Next remove the 2 bolts that hold the thermostat housing. There is no need to loosen the rad-hose clamp as the housing and hose can be moved aside easily. There will be a mess soon so get the catch basin positioned for the next part!
AIR_20150307_00003.jpg
AIR_20150307_00003.jpg (61.27 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Once the cover is off you will see the nose of the thermostat sticking out. It will need some gentle prying with a screwdriver to get it free....here's the messy part folks.
AIR_20150307_00007.jpg
AIR_20150307_00007.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Install the new thermostat with the springs in first. The thermostat doesn't care what clock-position its in but I do prefer to have nose laying horizontally. Next bolt up the housing....now if all you needed is a new thermostat then button everything back up including the intercooler.....DON'T install the Air Plug yet!!!!!

Add coolant until nearly everything you drained is poured back in. Next start the engine and watch for fluid to start rising out the air-bleed hose...just before it starts to dribble out install the air-plug and gently tighten.....its only plastic. Add coolant to top off system and you're done. Wash the engine off as coolant can ruin belts and it stinks when it bakes off a hot engine.
Last edited by Big-Bird on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah I joined the Dark Side because the medical plan is top shelf!

Big-Bird

Re: How to change the temp probe and thermostat.

Post by Big-Bird »

The all important tempurature probe sends a signal to the gauge in your instrument cluster and its also monitored by the Glow-Plug system.

The probe is located next to where the upper radiator hose attaches to the intake manifold.
AIR_20150307_00002.jpg
AIR_20150307_00002.jpg (68.3 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
The probe has 2 contacts and the power connection does have a release clip.
Once the connection has been removed you will need a deep 14mm socket to remove the old plug and to install the new one(the deep socket prevents damage to the spade connections)
AIR_20150307_00006.jpg
AIR_20150307_00006.jpg (75.96 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Add teflon tape only to the threads on the new sensor and reinstall. Plug it in.
Top up coolant after you install the intercooler....the air bleed plug should be removed to let trapped air exit the system. Your're done!!! Simple.

This is some of the stuff I'll cover on our Calgary Delica Tech Night........we should do a webcast for Delica.ca! Who has web-savy and will be attending the tech night????

We might be doing ball joints and brakes that night! Fun stuff!

islander20
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 L400 LWB

Post by islander20 »

Great post, I have learned so much from this site all the helpful pictorials. Im about to setup a engine temperature sensor for an overheat alarm, would you recommend attaching the probe in the same location as the existing sensor?

On the topic of balljoints, do you know the average lifespan of the balljoints on the Delica? Im about to put a 2" lift on the van and am thinking about swapping out the balljoints while I am there. They were replaced 50,000km ago and aren't showing any weakness.

Thanks!
stever1000
Vehicle: 94 L400 SuperExceed

Post by stever1000 »

Excellent write up!!

When would you recommend doing this?
macro
Vehicle: L400 "The Invader"

Post by macro »

islander20 wrote:Great post, I have learned so much from this site all the helpful pictorials. Im about to setup a engine temperature sensor for an overheat alarm, would you recommend attaching the probe in the same location as the existing sensor?

On the topic of balljoints, do you know the average lifespan of the balljoints on the Delica? Im about to put a 2" lift on the van and am thinking about swapping out the balljoints while I am there. They were replaced 50,000km ago and aren't showing any weakness.

Thanks!
You could always replace them and keep your old ones around as spares. When I lifted mine, my balljoints went within the year because of the new angle.

Nice write up Big-Bird, very clear! My temp gauge is intermittently working again oddly enough...
stever1000
Vehicle: 94 L400 SuperExceed

Post by stever1000 »

My thermostat was replaced last year, but no idea about the temp probe. Did your temp probe fail or why did you decide to change it?
Big-Bird

Post by Big-Bird »

The temp gauge wasn't reading properly and the glow plug relay wasn't shutting off soon enough. Decided to do the change of both parts at the same time.

FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Excellent write up Big-Bird. I've loaded a copy of your post into L400 Dedicated Category Reference Forum >> Cooling & Oil ~ for convenient posterity, with a link back to the original thread (this one).

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

Return to “L400 Technical”