L400 Tip over, two days later fire...

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
afjansse
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica L400

Post by afjansse »

Hi Delica Folk!
So here is what happened, I was driving from Alberta to Vancouver, when I hit a patch of ice in Lake Louise, slid, hit the meridian, and tip the can over onto its side on the snow. Thankfully I was ok, and the van got out with a broken windshield, couple bumps, and a broken mirror. I through a bit more oil in it because of it being on its side for a while.
Once back on al 4 tires, it seemed all good. No engine lights, temperature ok, started first go, no problem. Once on the other side of the Rockies, pulling out of Kamloops, I through it into 4x4 again while entering some variable road conditions.

While going up the hill, the van was a little louder than normal and started smoking heavily. The temperature gauge was still reading normal. I pulled over and I popped the hood, and there was a small fire on the undercarriage of the engine!
Freaked out, I through some water and snow on it, and put it out.

I waited a little while before starting it up, checked the oil, and the oil was pretty low. With little options and no cell service, I started it up and drove it over to Merrit. The van struggled over the pass into Merrit, checked the oil and topped it up.

Took it VERY easy over the Coquihalla pass and hobbled it into Chilliwack. When I switch it into 4x4 it makes a terrible noise. The vents were shooting out some cooler air, and also a large cloud of smoke coming out of the exhaust when starting from cold.

I am needing a mechanic ASAP in the Fraser Valley/Vancouver area during the holiday season.

The Delica is an L400 Gas V6.

Anyone know what could be the issue with the van, any ideas as to where I can get a good look of the van between Christmas and new years?? I really need to get back to Alberta in the van.
Any help would be huge.
thelazygreenfox
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 99 white Hi roof gas Chamonix

Post by thelazygreenfox »

Sorry to hear of your plight, I'm a gas owner as well and hope you found a mech to look at it. If you still need a hand PM me and I can help Friday and Sat 29 and 30th.
Good Luck
MD :-D :-D
Wear your mask, it keeps others from seeing the parsley in your teeth
Big-Bird
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=20974
Vehicle: 96 PE8W Spacegear

Post by Big-Bird »

There are several shops in the greater Vancouver area you can go to.

I recommend one of these 2 shops.
CVI (Richmond)
Rising Sun Imports (New Westminster)
Yeah I joined the Dark Side because the medical plan is top shelf!

Return to “L400 Technical”