Ontario insurance issue and survey for underwriters

RHD-related issues ONLY please (NOT for general political ads!)
Bonsai
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: OMVIC# 5215108, drive my stock

Ontario insurance issue and survey for underwriters

Post by Bonsai »

As a Delica owner in Ontario, and the owner of a few other JDM cars, I am worried about an increasing negative insurance environment. Many providers are refusing to write new policies and others are choosing not to renew existing policies. If this trend continues, JDM cars will be effectively removed from the roads in Ontario and elsewhere and the resale market will be destroyed.

Given recent issues a number of Delica/JDM owners have had with insurance, we have found that insurance companies are basing their knowledge of JDM cars solely on a single, statistically flawed, study completed in British Columbia (ICBC). It seems that there has been no effort to collect data to support our cause, and one of our causes should be to get fair insurance.

My aim is to compile data from JDM drivers across the country to try and prove we are safe, low risk drivers and our cars are safe as well, that we know where to fix them and have access to parts. Insuring us should not have to be a &''(%-fight! Proving we are low risk and should have access to fair insurance without having to do an exhaustive search could also be a starting point for protecting the 15 year law.

I will supply my findings to anybody who asks, but I need as many responses as possible. Below I have put together a fairly simple survey, with the help of a friend in the insurance business. We will present findings to a variety of underwriters in the province with the hope of securing insurance that will not pull the rug out from under us, like has been happening to many drivers in this province. If you want to help, please cut and paste the survey to me in an e-mail. If you want, you can provide your name and more information/ rants/ thoughts/ reflections, but this can also be anonomous. I would really appreciate it if some of the long-time members of this forum would help me with this cause.

Your JDM Make/model/spec/year:
Your driving infractions in the last year/ever:
Have you ever been in an accident with your JDM/was it the fault of the JDM:
Do you feel safe driving a RHD:
Have you ever made an insurance claim on your JDM:
Did your insurance company have to provide you with a rental because of lengthy repairs:
How long do repairs typically take:
Is it easy to get parts for your JDM:
Do you have a reliable source for parts:
Is your JDM a target for theft:
Do you think your JDM is easy or hard to steal compared to other 15 year old cars.

Please mail me at craig@bonsairides.com
William
Vehicle: Always changing for me

Re: Ontario insurance issue and survey for underwriters

Post by William »

Bonsai wrote:As a Delica owner in Ontario, and the owner of a few other JDM cars, I am worried about an increasing negative insurance environment. Many providers are refusing to write new policies and others are choosing not to renew existing policies. If this trend continues, JDM cars will be effectively removed from the roads in Ontario and elsewhere and the resale market will be destroyed.

Given recent issues a number of Delica/JDM owners have had with insurance, we have found that insurance companies are basing their knowledge of JDM cars solely on a single, statistically flawed, study completed in British Columbia (ICBC). It seems that there has been no effort to collect data to support our cause, and one of our causes should be to get fair insurance.

My aim is to compile data from JDM drivers across the country to try and prove we are safe, low risk drivers and our cars are safe as well, that we know where to fix them and have access to parts. Insuring us should not have to be a &''(%-fight! Proving we are low risk and should have access to fair insurance without having to do an exhaustive search could also be a starting point for protecting the 15 year law.

I will supply my findings to anybody who asks, but I need as many responses as possible. Below I have put together a fairly simple survey, with the help of a friend in the insurance business. We will present findings to a variety of underwriters in the province with the hope of securing insurance that will not pull the rug out from under us, like has been happening to many drivers in this province. If you want to help, please cut and paste the survey to me in an e-mail. If you want, you can provide your name and more information/ rants/ thoughts/ reflections, but this can also be anonomous. I would really appreciate it if some of the long-time members of this forum would help me with this cause.

Your JDM Make/model/spec/year:
Your driving infractions in the last year/ever:
Have you ever been in an accident with your JDM/was it the fault of the JDM:
Do you feel safe driving a RHD:
Have you ever made an insurance claim on your JDM:
Did your insurance company have to provide you with a rental because of lengthy repairs:
How long do repairs typically take:
Is it easy to get parts for your JDM:
Do you have a reliable source for parts:
Is your JDM a target for theft:
Do you think your JDM is easy or hard to steal compared to other 15 year old cars.

Please mail me at craig@bonsairides.com
This is a great and positive approach! Cudos to you friend. Have you posted over at ivoac.ca ?
William - JDM Connection inc.
http://jdmconnection.ca/
thedjjack
Member's Photo Album: ucp.php?i=164
Vehicle: 1989 L300 HITOP!!

Post by thedjjack »

Email sent
surfhunter
Vehicle: 1993 Delica L300 Jasper

Post by surfhunter »

Survey completed and sent to your email address. $2200 a year Im paying for a $5000 replacement policy here in Ontario, BS.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do.
drrod
Vehicle: 93 Exceed

Post by drrod »

completed survey sent.
I pay $598/yr here in AB for full coverage.

Thanks for doing this. I fear that it is only a matter of time until all provinces have the same issues.

Rod
Mbryant
Vehicle: White 93 Exceed Crystal lite roof

Post by Mbryant »

Survey sent to email. Great idea by the way.
Bonsai
Vehicle: OMVIC# 5215108, drive my stock

Post by Bonsai »

Hi Everybody,
Thanks very much for all the survey responses. I have compiled responses from the you, as well as a few other JDM forums and have sent off the data, our arguments etc to about 10 underwriters. Hopefully I'll get to present in person after they have reviewed it, and I'll let you know how things go. In the mean time, keep the rants and surveys coming; It is all useful!
Regards
Bonsai

Return to “RHD Political and Legal Matters”