Black Point, Western Australia

4x4 trips to Mexico, to the ski hill, or to the local grocery store...

Moderator: mark

cruisn06
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Ng Pajero

Black Point, Western Australia

Post by cruisn06 »

Well, Its that time again, the long weekend was upon us, and has left as quick as it came..

But not without a fun side to it, After some discussion with a mate we decided we would push the 400km down the the southern coast of western australia to go wheeling along the coast.

We left right after work thursday night and pushed about 270km to the first camp site. which was jsut for a quick stop over.
My rig is the red Pajero, Mates is the white Navara

A quick stop at the beer store for important goods

Then it was onto the opne road:

Now that was it for night 1, but onto day 2, this was a big day for us.
we started at diamond climbing tree, you can climb 52m to the top, I crapped out at about 14m. but Dan made it halfway.

Dan at the halfway:

I stopped aroudn here. not a fan of heights without my harness from work:

Now the fun began, we only had another 100km of paved roads till the fun began.
time to air down:

Just some flowers:

We had issues getting into black point from our position, as the original way has a bridge out, the way I knew had closed roads and our first track attemp was to deep of ruts as I slid onto the frame and flooded the wagon:
Of course we walked the first puddle, but the second we figured would be fine. we made this mistake once and only once. we ended up walking about 25 of these puddles ranging in length from 10m to 200m and in depth from about .25m to 1.25m with seom deep spots that dunked well over the hood.

And he is bogged:

Some deep water crossings:

At the next puddle I found a turtle. how cool is that:

And that meant that after relocating him away from where we were driving jacki felt it was a good idea to follow him with the camera:

Walking the crossing:

This was the second longest crossing we did, what a fun walk that was. I have a video coming tomorrow night of me doing the crossing but for now jsut photos of dan giving it a shot:

Setting up camp for the next 2 days:

Night time rolled around we had a few beers and enjoyed out selves and cooked stew in the camp oven.

The next day we foudn our selves throwing a line out into the water with no luck. but hey, were on the beach, its win win:

Its all about the whip:

After some fishing I had a few small repairs to do to the wagon, I had my fan playing up and had to do a bit of a bush fix so it would run cool. I have a new one and a water pump on the way as the pump has some bearing play to.:

Dinner that night was stunning with Jackie pulling out all the stops, pickled pork done in the camp oven over 4 hours with potatoes and corn wrapped in foil thrown in the fire, it was an amazing meal:
Fall apart goodness:

On our way out we stopped at black point and had breakfast.

Then before we knew it, the trail was over and we had to head to Perth :(

Here are some water crossings from the trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qktQCbcD7CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWER5yFAnDo
Slimdog
Vehicle: 2000 L300 LWB

Re: Black Point, Western Australia

Post by Slimdog »

Great report man. Love driving on the beach.
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Great photo essay, Cruisin' some spectacular shots there, especially of breakfast ~ mm mm mm! So what was with the fan? Was it the viscous clutch? How did you fix it?

Got a table just like your's, I use it for wallpaper usually but perhaps I should take it into the toolies with me, as well ~ Looks handy. You say that's a turtle? Are you sure that's not a snake with a camper?

Also, what are the whips for? What kind of rig are you operating?

Thanks for sharing ~ always good to read up on people's experiences... smiles.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
Super Exceeded
Vehicle: 1993 L300S

Post by Super Exceeded »

Great shots, I remember climbing the Gloucester Tree when I was out that was. Long scary climb indeed.
cruisn06

Post by cruisn06 »

FalcoColumbarius wrote:Great photo essay, Cruisin' some spectacular shots there, especially of breakfast ~ mm mm mm! So what was with the fan? Was it the viscous clutch? How did you fix it?

Got a table just like your's, I use it for wallpaper usually but perhaps I should take it into the toolies with me, as well ~ Looks handy. You say that's a turtle? Are you sure that's not a snake with a camper?

Also, what are the whips for? What kind of rig are you operating?

Thanks for sharing ~ always good to read up on people's experiences... smiles.

Falco.

The clutch is shot so its free spinning, can spin it by hand and it keeps spinning for about 15 more revolutions. so I used wire to create a pinch effect on the shaft so its direct drive. helped big time. but the pump is having issues too, but I have a new one. and heater core hoses too!! oooohhhh, but in reality I should get off my ass and actually send it to a shop to have the ac lines refitted and recharged as the weather is normally above 30c now

Pretty sure it was a turtle.. but honestly I never asked. can they ever swim fast though.

Fishing, 12' beach rod, as for the rig, I am running a heavy lead weight right on the end, pointy to dig in the sand and stay put, about 1m up I have a hook then another meter up I have another hook both hanging about 30cm off the main line all on 40lb leader line. never lets me down.

the other setup i use looks the same except the hooks have bobbers hooked about 1.5m away from them causing them to float about 2m off the bottom with the heavy weight keeping it steady in the waves. works a treat.

for bait it normalls blue minnow of squid, squid is good for more casts.
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

cruisn06 wrote:Pretty sure it was a turtle.. but honestly I never asked. can they ever swim fast though.
I'm always amazed at the creatures found in Australia, many of them look like they're made up of left over pieces. Never seen a turtle with such a long neck. Truly astonishing.
cruisn06 wrote:Fishing, 12' beach rod, as for the rig, I am running a heavy lead weight right on the end, pointy to dig in the sand and stay put, about 1m up I have a hook then another meter up I have another hook both hanging about 30cm off the main line all on 40lb leader line. never lets me down.

I meant the whips attached to the bush bars on the fronts of your wagons ~ they're radio aerials, yes? What kind of radio rigs are you running?

Cheers!

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for posting so many shots - Love those big gum tees!
Happy Day!
cruisn06

Post by cruisn06 »

Gme ariel 1200mm long, 6dbl
inside i have a Gme 3100 reciever.
gets the job done, good for range but a little tougher in the hilly country, but thats not to common here lol

Return to “Member Trips”