Bummer

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

sahdot
Vehicle: 92 super exceed R.I.P.

Bummer

Post by sahdot »

Hi all,

This isn't a post I would prefer to be writing-I'd rather be debating Green 1 about UK imports or, as I'd planned, introducing myself in the new member's section now that Jack and Glen from Five Star Auto and CC Auto have, post sale, fixed the few minor glitches with my van admirably (as I was sure they would). Great service from these guys before and after the sale; I can highly recommend them. Jack even delivered my van to the Crofton ferry (near Duncan on Van. Island) last night so I could walk onto the ferry and pick it up to save me a trip up to Parksville with another car and the extra ferry fare.

However, when I got off the ferry today (Friday)--no van! Stolen in the night by some slimeball. I only had it for a couple of months and about 1500 km. and I miss it already. I never even got to see the new paint job on the bullbars (light grey to match the bottom paint); try out the new stiffer shocks; or enjoy the dry footwells after the quarter panel calking.

So - people will steal these vans even though they are rhd and stand out in a crowd. Hadn't got around to installing any anti-theft devices yet, but on my next one or, preferably, this one recovered-----

Anyway, if any members in Duncan see my dark gray over light gray van BC plate # AXK 975 (or possibly another #) driving around without me, or abandoned (probably from Victoria to Nanaimo and north), there are a few things a delica aficionado would notice that a casual observer might not that would set it apart. First of all you would notice a new deli in the neighborhood. Second it's a 92 Super Exceed crystal lite roof 7 seater with gray bullbars instead of chrome (or white as on an Exceed with a crystal lite roof). It came from Japan with what looks like two round red bicycle reflectors - one on each side of the "DELICA" logo on the back red tailgate garnish. The side mirrors are chrome, but the arms are black. It has dark tinted window film, but the rear window film has obvious ripples in it where the defroster wires are. The fog lights are the standard round yellow without covers. It has BFG RADIAL LONG TRAIL T/A P235 75R-15 tires on alloy wheels. It has Five Star Auto Sales decals on it, and, I think, "4 wheel drive" decals on the sides. So if spotted, hopefully unscathed, please call the RCMP and tell them. Or PM me, I'd love to get it back thanks.

Long post, sorry-
-jim
Attachments
The decals on the back and on the window are gone now-on lower right now is five star auto decal.   On side is"4 wheel drive" decal, I think. Please note ripples on rear window and xtra round reflectors.
The decals on the back and on the window are gone now-on lower right now is five star auto decal. On side is"4 wheel drive" decal, I think. Please note ripples on rear window and xtra round reflectors.
Delica46-2.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 6568 times
Green1
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Re: Bummer

Post by Green1 »

very sorry to hear about your Delica. hopefully you get it back safe and sound!

I have in the past taken some comfort in the fact that my Delica is extremely identifiable, hoping that would deter someone from taking it, however it appears that we are not immune from this scum.
sid
Vehicle: 1993 super exceed

Post by sid »

my friend got hid delica stolen christmas eve right from his carport!

as luck would have it, a friend saw it 3 days later driving down commercial dr with a couple o skid row types driving it, called the cops and tailed it for a while, they were arrested, he got his van back.

sadly the guys have probly stolen several more since they left jail.

sid
Green1

Post by Green1 »

I really need to hurry up and get my tracking system moved over from my old vehicle to the delica... would be nice when phoning 911 to be able to give the exact location of the vehicle...
delicat
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Post by delicat »

Hey Sahdot,

Sorry for you, agreed it's a bummer. I think you should re-post it under a more catchy title like "STOLEN DELICA / HELP!" Then all of us will read it for sure.

Good luck!
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
Green1

Post by Green1 »

Knowing that the rest of the import community pays more attention to imported vehicles driving around than the average citizen, I have cross-posted this to the Imported Vehicle Owners Association of Canada (IVOAC) forums... hope you get your van back!
rdub

Post by rdub »

Sorry to here that ,Ill keep my eyes open out here in the Valley and ill go down to Japanauto in Abbotsford and let them know to keep there eyes open also,in case someone comes in for something.Thats were i get my filters from and im do here soon.
Rdub
I am stable in most situations that I have no reservations in stormy conditions.
Delicanagan
Vehicle: 92 delica

Post by Delicanagan »

I always take note of odd vehicles (Deli's or otherwise), and will certainly keep eyes peeled here in the Okanagan Valley. Not that I think it will show up this far or on the mainland (would they be stupid enough to risk a ferry crossing?), but one never knows. I sure hope ya get your prize back in good shape and in good time. I feel nearly the same sorrow one feels over a lost puppy. If I wasn't such a tuffy, I'd shed a tear in my glass eye. ;) All kidding aside I really DO hope you get it back without anymore heartache than you've already suffered.

Cheers and good luck.
sahdot
Vehicle: 92 super exceed R.I.P.

Post by sahdot »

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Thanks also Green1 for your inspired efforts on my behalf on IVOAC's forum - again demonstrating why you such are an asset to our little community here. I also thought anyone with half a brain would bypass a Delica to steal a less obtrusive car. There were probably 30 other cars in that remote yet reasonably well lit lot that night - so I guess we were wrong.

I found a little hope in Sid's post about the morons driving his friend's highly visible Delica around for three days, but my fears about someone purposely taking my unusual van to go bush beating off road where they wouldn't be seen proved to be the case. I got a call from constable Trenn from the North Cowichan RCMP this evening and they found my van up some rough terrain by some power lines completely burned out. The scumbags torched it.

What a waste! It ran like a top. Started at -2C in about 1 1/2 to 2 seconds settled into a smooth 750 rpm idle after 5 - 10 more seconds @ 1250 - 1500 rpm and had enough power to go over the Malahat at 90 to 100 kmh. No rust or dents, nice interior - all four window shades even worked! Hope I can find another one as good.

There were a few reasons for my original post: feeling sorry for myself, I guess; hoping someone might spot it before it got wrecked; and also to let other members know that people will steal these vans. I had planned to put some kind of fuel shutoff on it like in my old backhoe ( only electric and hidden) but hadn't yet found the time. Shouldn't be too hard to do- definitely on my next one; or something even more refined. Anyway - food for thought.

-jim

Oh, an interesting comment from constable Trenn. She loves these vans. A friend of hers has one and she thinks they're great. Apparently not all LEOs believe ICBC's propaganda.
Last edited by sahdot on Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
delicat
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Post by delicat »

So sorry for you, that really sucks.

Hopefully you'll be able to find another one really soon. There seems to be a lot of them for sale right now and since you've previously had one you will be able to recognize a great one more easily than before. Best of luck with your next Delica. And keep your ears open for idiots bragging on their 4x4 run ending in a bonfire...
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
Green1

Post by Green1 »

I'm sorry it didn't work out better for you, but I am glad you managed to get some closure on the issue.

Do the RCMP have any leads on who did it?

I hope you manage to find another Delica soon, and in as good shape.

If you do the fuel-shutoff I am quite interested, let me know what parts you find to do such a thing.
loki
Vehicle: 1994 Delica Royal Exceed

Post by loki »

sorry to hear about your van, look at the bright side, at least they didn't just trash the engine and leave it as it is REALLY difficult or impossible to get insurance to replace the engine unless they blow it right out. I have always hoped that if a car I had got stolen that they burnt it so I wouldn't get it back and have it have problems after that. Still sucks to have happen though.
ccautos
Vehicle: 92 Delica SE

Post by ccautos »

Bas***ds , sorry but that van was damned good . Originally bought in to part we found it to be one of the nicest driving cleanest interiored vans imported . After a repair to the superficial panel damage on the front and extensive servicing that was one nice van . We just put in a replacement stereo (original) , painted the bush bars , uprated new front shocks , torsion bar re-adjust , alignment , cigarette lighter and even a replacement icecube tray and cover . the poor van even spent four days in a heated bay to dry out and reseal the front corner panels before some idiot took it for a joyride . I hope it was worth it and I hope they do get caught . I have to agree though it was better to end this way than get it back abused . Hope the replacement lives up to the original .

SquamptonRyan
Vehicle: 1992 Toyota Hilux 2.8 Quad Cab

Post by SquamptonRyan »

That is truly one of the saddest pictures I've ever seen. sorry dude. Take the bars off the front so if you find out who it was you have a suitable, at hand, theif beater 10,000.
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

That is such a bummer, we do hope you get an even nicer Delica. To bad you have to do the 'Delica wait' for these reasons.

Regards,
Kev
Image Call me BCDelica-less

Return to “General Discussion”