some new upgrades

Mitsubishi Delica Camper vans, lift kits & other Delica Accessories!

Moderator: BCDelica

garyo
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 91 exceed

Re: some new upgrades

Post by garyo »

made some headway today.

just to get the piping for the cooler to fit, a lot of pieces had to move.

radiator had to move 3/4 inch to the passenger side.
electric can in front of condensor moved 1 1/2 the other way.
lots of litle stuff like hoses and clamps in the way.
top right condensor mount moved up, bottom one also moved up slightly.

most of the tubing is leftovers from work that I pulled out of the dumpster.
All mild steel because it`s easy to work with. All tig welded seams.

Took some new pic`s tonight, then put it back together so I can go to work tommorow.
Attachments
from turbo to intercooler.jpg
from turbo to intercooler.jpg (49.56 KiB) Viewed 7703 times
tack welded to check fit.jpg
tack welded to check fit.jpg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 7704 times
inlet done.jpg
inlet done.jpg (89.05 KiB) Viewed 7698 times
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

Where are the cooling lines for the intercooler? Or is it an air-to-air exchange? Or is it a closed cooling loop (i.e. there are no lines to the vehicle coolant)?
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Air - air . simple yet effective 8-)
delicat
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Post by delicat »

Nice craft Gary,

Would a intercooler with both in/out tubes on the same side be easier to mount tubing wise? I can see you're running your return tube up and across/behind your radiator. Haven't look in details it there's enough room but if both pipes came from the intercooler driver's side could they both make their way up that way instead of crossing over to the top?

Kinda sucks that you need to take it all out to make your truck driveable... The joys of custom work!

Looks great!
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
garyo

Post by garyo »

It`s done.
It`s faster.
Attachments
phpnFdrX7PM.jpg
phpnFdrX7PM.jpg (76.66 KiB) Viewed 7519 times
phpBU5ADnPM.jpg
phpBU5ADnPM.jpg (89.03 KiB) Viewed 7523 times
php68HEnPPM.jpg
php68HEnPPM.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 7517 times
php6iLSFHPM.jpg
php6iLSFHPM.jpg (98.41 KiB) Viewed 7514 times
Delicanadabc
Vehicle: Super exceed 91

Post by Delicanadabc »

That is a hell of a rig!
Well done!
Can't wait to hear how it works out.
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Nice job, Garyo ~ and thanks for the tips.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
garyo

Post by garyo »

Went for a proper drive today after another day of finshing off a few loose ends.

today just made shure everything was not rubbing on anything else.If I were to do it again, I`d use smaller tubing everywhere.

I`m super happy on the performance now. Seems maybe slightly stronger from a dead stop, but once the boost hits 12 psi, it`s noticably stronger. Going up the cut in n.van, I gained 7 kmh in speed over the top.I didnt get a run at as per usual, stalled behind a slow truck. The best part is that now I can give full fuel all the way up the hill. pyro never went over 900. I never was brave enough to hold full fuel up this hill before. always had to back off 1/2 way up, and just feather the throttle, trying not to go over 1000 deg.

on a side note, I found that my egr valve was stuck slightly open. this was probably not good. Now with it completly gone, and more air going into the engine, the exhaust smoke seems to be less. When I tromp on it, a puff,then tapers off to barely noticable ( for an engine w/ the fuel screw turned up a bit)

now cant wait to get the water meth.
Jaz
Vehicle: "Rusty" no longer :(

Post by Jaz »

She's going to be a rocket ship!

Any noticeable increase in lag? All that extra pipework...

Also, if you did it again, would you mount it in the same place and use the same sort of cooler?
garyo

Post by garyo »

hey jaz,

no lag, which is suprising
I`d do a lot of routing slightly different, if the a/c was gone.
smaller pipes , both on the drivers side might make it easier. the part around the turbo was where it got tricky.had to roll the turbo,move the aircleaner, cut and reweld the intake pipe on top of manifold, make a block off plate for the egr port on the exh. manifold

total investment still under 200.$
well over 40 hrs of my time, but lots of fun now that it works.
Attachments
this is what replaces egr. plug for water-meth.jpg
this is what replaces egr. plug for water-meth.jpg (72.46 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
cr500 rad guard now arock guard for pipe.jpg
cr500 rad guard now arock guard for pipe.jpg (68.35 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
good pipe fitting critical for nice tig welds.jpg
good pipe fitting critical for nice tig welds.jpg (89.18 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Can't wait to hear your results with the water/alcohol injection - plus getting to see pictures of the completed install.

I'm all for water/alcohol injection (petroleum chemist once apon a time) but be careful with Canadian washer fluids - there heavy with surfactants.
Image Call me BCDelica-less
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

Garyo - could you draw some lines on your pictures to indicate which is going where (filtered air, turbo air, intercooler air, exhaust)? Just to clear things up?

Also, what was the cost for the Skyline intercooler? How does it compare, size-wise, to the one from a Pajero?
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
delicat
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Post by delicat »

G'morning Paul.

Gary will surely add to this but intercoolers can be best obtained from the scrapyards. Basically everything would work as long as it fits.

They usually come with in/out pipes on each ends of the intercooler or both of the same side (that style is not as common but I think would work better for our application). Other thing to consider is the intercooler pipes size. They are commonly 2" to 2 1/2".

Price is around $100 for a used one. I've seen where they take an intercooler from a transport truck (big rig), cut it in half, re-weld the end tank/pipe and have 2 nice big intercoolers (share with your buddy).

With our little truck we don't need much of an intercooler (but bigger is better, to a degree anyway). I'm not sure if you've seen the turbo but it's tiny! So as long as it fits you'll benefit from it without going crazy in size.

The routing is pretty simple. Air comes in through the air filter, carries on the the front/center part of the turbo (intake). Compressed and very hot air comes out of the turbo and instead of going to the engine you re-route it via new pipes to the driver's side of the intercooler (EGR gets ditched in the process). Air gets cooled down through the intercooler and comes out via the passenger's side pipe (which is a good idea to insulate to keep the air as cool as possible). That last pipe goes back to your intake manifold/engine. Voila! That simple.

The shorter the piping the better. Increase pipe length and you end up with additional turbo lag and air loose it's cool factor.

That's about it really! It's been a few years since I modified a turbo car by adding an intercooler but it wasn't that complicated. Hardest part is to find good location for your pipes and intercooler and hope that you don't have to rotate your turbo to accommodate your design.

Finally, if I were to do it I'd do it just like I previously did it:

The radiators on our Delica are not known to be very good so I'd ditch mine. I'd build a custom one that would be shorter and fatter and add the intercooler underneath. So the radiator/intercooler would fit into the Delica radiator footprint except it'd be thicker. Ditch the clutch driven fan and add an electrical fan (with thermostat).

As for the intercooller it'd be very nice to have one that have both in/out pipes on the driver's side. Finally, a slightly bigger turbo would be nice. I kinda had a laugh first time I saw the size of the Delica one. No wonder it's almost always under boost...

But hey, I'm not the one who just spent 40hrs scratching his head and bruising his knuckles installing a great looking system.

Good work Gary! Much easier said than done, I've seen his install in person and it's sweet. And who else could do it under $200, not me for sure!

Who's in charge of giving the STARS for outstanding work? Where's Gary's star? :-D

Cheers!
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
Luna-Sea
Vehicle: 90xeed+91cmnix,bth5spdz

Post by Luna-Sea »

Awesome work man!

I will keep a lookout for that some grey market windshield fluid with no crap in it!
I myself am a long way from doing those mods but it stokes up me to see it being done DYI style!
Thank you so much for doing to photo docs of the mod madness, very very cool and inspirational!
Use of the red pipes made it easy to comprehend!
Did you pick a source for the methanol-water system yet or are you going to give that poor been raked ,poked and rottiseried over the coals guamdoc dude some business? (All in good spirit, very interesting thread that one to be sure!)

Wicked Cool!
garyo

Post by garyo »

I`ll be buying from Guamdoc for shure. Too close to x-mas to spend any money now.

Return to “Delica Modifications”