US version Mitsubishi Van(left hand drive 2WD Auto)Questions

Skoo-B
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1987 Mitsubishi Van (US)

US version Mitsubishi Van(left hand drive 2WD Auto)Questions

Post by Skoo-B »

Hi,

I just bought a US version Delica Van, not even sure what you call it. It has a fuel injected 4 cylinder engine and rear wheel drive. Im having trouble locating parts for it and not sure what Delica parts will fit. This is a 1987 and Automatic. here are some issues/concerns:

- Fuel gauge doesnt work (sender unit maybe) (will the gas light come on?)
- Radiator has a crack in it (any other parts compatible?)
- 2WD sucks (can I convert to 4wd easily?)
- Doesn;t have moon roof(s) (anyone ever try custom sun roofs?)
- Interior is a bit hammered and dirty (delica interior for sale?)
- one windshield wiper doesnt work, bolt is type but arm doesnt move (how do you access underneath?)
- Any known or common issues to look out for??
- Where can I buy parts??
nvanadm
Vehicle: 1993 L300 Super Exceed

Re: US version Mitsubishi Van(left hand drive 2WD Auto)Quest

Post by nvanadm »

Hi, and welcome!

There's a whole Vanwagon subforum on this forum. Here's a link. http://www.delica.ca/forum/mitsubishi-vanwagon-110/
Or you can click on the "DELICA" logo in the top left hand corner of any page, scroll down to "Delica Canada Technical" and click on "Pajero, Strada, Mitshibishi Vanwagon", then click on "Mitsubishi Vanwagon". Hopefully all the information you need is there.
R.Costa wrote:You can get parts for them just about anywhere in the states, AutoZone, Napa, Carquest, etc. I get mine mostly online from rockauto. Hope this helps.
Skoo-B
Vehicle: 1987 Mitsubishi Van (US)

Post by Skoo-B »

Hi, I will check that out and thanks for the reply.
Mazdax605
Vehicle: 1989 Delica P25W

Post by Mazdax605 »

Welcome to the forum. I am new here as well. I just bought my 1990 Wagonvan in CA, and had it shipped to me in MA back in December. I am quickly becoming an expert in this thing though as I have had to replace the cylinder head, and all associated stuff on it in the last month plus.

-Fuel gauge is most likely the sender,and I don't believe they are available new, so you may be out of luck.

-Radiator is a unique piece, and no longer available either from what I have been told by an expert out in AZ. I would look to get the one you have repaired at a local radiator shop. As long as it isn't too bad they can fix almost anything.

-2wd is the only way we got them in the US, and also only automatic. I would imagine anything is possible, but I can't say it will be easy. I know I will get crap for this but the better buy would have been a toyota van as they came with 4wd, and manual transmissions as options in the US.

-Moonroof is something I wish my van had as well, but doesn't. I would imagine you could cut the roof panel out of a van with the moonroof,and move it to your van, but again not easy,and my guess is an aftermarket moon/sun roof would be better in this case.

-Windshield wipers I am not sure about yet, but my guess is you have to remove the dash board to gain access to them as there is no other way I can see to get in there. Doesn't look like a fun job.

-The only issues I can specifically point to so far is keep the engine cool, as these vans tend to get hot if the cooling system is not up to par. When they get hot the head will warp or more than likely crack like mine was when I got it(didn't know). Also it seems the timing belt is a 60k mile thing, but I wouldn't worry too much about it as these engine are non-interference so you can break the timing belt, and not worry about the engine.

-I have found most parts I have needed so far through Rockauto.com, and my local NAPA/AutoZone/Advance auto. I would imagine you can find almost everything you will need through there, aside from dealer only parts that are no longer available, and scouring the eBay for used parts from time to time.You are definitely in the right part of the country for these vans compared to me.

Good luck,

Chris
Chris

89 P25W L300 Aero GLX
74 Mazda REPU
78 Mazda RX-7 GS

Return to “Mitsubishi Vanwagon”