Mitsushi WVO set-up

WVO filtering, WVO conversion information, biodiesel fuel issues, etc.

Moderator: BCDelica

delicat
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Mitsushi WVO set-up

Post by delicat »

Finally! After months of planning and tinkering with my system, I finally made the big step and got to run on full veggie. :-D :-D :-D

Thank you so much EricN :M
Thank you so much Jay of the Tardisdeli :M
Thank you just as much Isaac :M

It's been a long process but I just can't explain how good it felt when I finally made the switch over to veggie and Voila! Actually, nothing happened :shock: , it just smelled like deep fried oil!

I'll post the pictures and a description of the install pretty soon. There are some innovative bits that I'm quite happy with the results... more to come!

I still have an issue with one of my tanks (a weld is slightly leaking and I may have to drop the tank) but the system ran faultless.

As Jay puts it "No french fries were harmed in the making of Mitsushi"!

Cheers!
Last edited by delicat on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Re: Running full veggie!!! Finally!

Post by TardisDeli »

Dude, congrats, I must remember not to drive behind your vehicle now... all those lovely cooking smells make me so hungry for sushi. christine.
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Congratulations, DeliCat! You have put an awful lot of effort into this project. Well Done.... so to speak.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Three stars :M :M :M :-D
Golf Cart
Vehicle: 1992 Exceed

Post by Golf Cart »

Veg On David !!

Will have to get a good look at it on Sunday ( and smell)
By the time you realize that my signature has no real message or life altering words of wisdom, you're too far into it to stop reading until you are finished
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

Well done indeed! Hope to follow suit one day myself... Looking forward to your pictures and description! :M :-D
Happy Day!
after oil
Vehicle: 92 cham-reimo poptop L300. 78MB240D

Post by after oil »

delicat wrote:
It's been a long process but I just can't explain how good it felt when I finally made the switch over to veggie and Voila! Actually, nothing happened :shock: , it just smelled like deep fried oil!
thats exactly what you want to happen when you switch to veg: nothing!
becuase if its something, its something wrong!

congrats!

is there any noticeable change in power?
delicat

Post by delicat »

No, power is the same or close enough that I can't notice a change. Took her up to SFU, nice long hill and felt the same. Quite happy!
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

Jonny5ive
Vehicle: 92 Super Exceed

Post by Jonny5ive »

Patiently looking forward to pics!

It must feel great!
delicat

Post by delicat »

Alright, here's some pictures.

In the first picture you can see both tanks, they are set up so that I can still mount a spare tire later on. The back one is shallow and is where the vent and filler fitting hook up. At the bottom there's a hose that bridge over to the front tank. Just beside the left shock you can see the filler hose running along the frame rail. EricN spent a lot of time helping me out on these as well as Isaac who kinda went through hell partly because of me (inside story... sorry Isaac!)
a.jpg
a.jpg (201.42 KiB) Viewed 8141 times
The 2nd picture shows the connection between the 2 tanks.
b.jpg
b.jpg (175.78 KiB) Viewed 8142 times
3rd picture is the front tank, you can kinda see the auxiliary fuel pump at the top front corner.
f.jpg
f.jpg (182.15 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
Here's a better picture of the fuel pump.
g.jpg
g.jpg (173.92 KiB) Viewed 8129 times
Now for the interesting stuff... Credit goes to Isaac for coming up with this idea.
This is the filler hose that is neatly tucked away where the bottle jack used to be. (Useless to me with my lift). The vacuum line makes a large loop and is always tucked in there.
c.jpg
c.jpg (87.95 KiB) Viewed 8123 times
All I have to do is pull the filler hose through this botched opening (was planing on installing a filler cap but changed my mind and design). This is a hydraulic quick connect, similar to a air compressor system but can handle fuel and pressure. The male part is permanently mounted on my truck while the female part is attached to my filtration system.
d.jpg
d.jpg (146.25 KiB) Viewed 8114 times
Now I simply connect them together and start my pump to quickly fill up my tanks without a mess. As you can see the vacuum line is now pulled down so that when the tanks are full it start to overflow into a cube. When all done I simply push it all back in place. I still leave the vacuum line sticking out about 6" so that if oil comes out it won't be in the truck but that's unlikely unless I'm really full and weather changes.
e.jpg
e.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 8093 times
Last edited by delicat on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

delicat

Post by delicat »

Onto the front cab...

This is where we mounted my switch. I didn't like the one supplied by Plantdrive so Jay was quick to find me a nice replacement. Even has LED...
h.jpg
h.jpg (120.34 KiB) Viewed 8071 times
The Vegtherm is mounted just where the hinges for the passenger's seats are. EricN came up with this location as it frees the engine compartment. He also mounted the Pollack valve on the back firewall which again frees the engine from all those hoses coming in and out of the valve. Great work EricN! (by the way, EricN also designed and cut my tanks and has been amazing at giving his time to help out! Merci Eric!)
i.jpg
i.jpg (187.1 KiB) Viewed 8073 times
n.jpg
n.jpg (185.87 KiB) Viewed 8075 times
You can also see lot's of the electrical attached to some of the hoses. This is where Jay came to play. Such a neat install, everything is built to be trouble free, lots of relay, nice connections... Jay is a lot of fun to watch working, like a little bee rushing around getting things done, real nice work. Merci Jay!

Here's some more of Jay's work. He asked me not to post the pictures 'cause he thought it looked too messy! Go figure? Great work!
j.jpg
j.jpg (219.35 KiB) Viewed 8057 times
My filter is mounted beside my battery to give easy access for filter change. It also helps to keep all my lines as short as possible. I place my "T" for the coolant as close as I could so that no heat was lost between the "T" and the filter housing.
k.jpg
k.jpg (92.79 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
And this is the view from down under...
l.jpg
l.jpg (155.97 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

delicat

Post by delicat »

Well, it almost sound like I haven't done anything and got everybody doing the work for me but it's not really the case. It's just a fine example of this great Delica community where people hook up together to help each others.

Now some more pictures on the filtration/filling set up. I wanted versatility with my system and that's the nice part with those hydraulic quick connect. In this picture you can see how I can easily use a conventional filler gun for my friends that have a more conventional system or to fill up my cubes.
o.jpg
o.jpg (201.84 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
I also wanted to be able to use cubes for road trips... so I'm making an adapter for that purpose. I'm simply attaching a female connector onto a cube lid. Princess Auto were out of the female part so I'll go back next week to get it finished.
p.jpg
p.jpg (136.32 KiB) Viewed 8032 times
This last picture should have been on my first picture post but ran out of room. It shows the back of the front tank where the fuel line attaches at the bottom and runs to the auxiliary fuel pump. We placed it at the back so that there's less risk of ripping off while offroading. I might change this hose for a clear one so that it could tell me how full my tank is...
q.jpg
q.jpg (196.76 KiB) Viewed 8029 times
All in all, I'm quite happy with how it went. I've had great help, made even better friends along the way and now my footprint is greatly reduced! There are some things that I might do differently if I were to do it again but hard to tell right now. I'll need a few months to find them...

Thanks to all that participated in this project!
WVO rules!
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Très bien !
after oil
Vehicle: 92 cham-reimo poptop L300. 78MB240D

Post by after oil »

that is AWESOME! nice work guys!!

my $.02...
toss the filter on the aux pump. itll get cold and gel, or clog or both. your oil should be filtered beter than that before you fill up, and of course you have a filter before the IP

also,
i had to vent both my tanks really well because the WVO wouldnt push through to the front tank, even though the hose is 1 1/2"
so i ran a hose from the front (or now the center tank) up into the engine compartment. although i did once overfill and got oil in there, but ill probably move it sooner or later
Luna-Sea
Vehicle: 90xeed+91cmnix,bth5spdz

Post by Luna-Sea »

Very Very Cool,
The install is very clean and tight!
What are the capacities of two tanks?

Right On! 8-)

Return to “WVO and Biodiesel”