B20 and B50 in L300 with No Conversion? Experience?

WVO filtering, WVO conversion information, biodiesel fuel issues, etc.

Moderator: BCDelica

dr_airtime
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: a

B20 and B50 in L300 with No Conversion? Experience?

Post by dr_airtime »

Anyone have experience running United Petroleum B50 in the Summer and B20 in the Winter on a unconverted L300?

Like the cleaning benefits of these blends, plus I may have a teeny tiny IP leak, so Biodiesel should help swell IP Seals just like WVO Right?

Read that a couple users ran two tanks of 50% WVO and never had a IP leaking problem again.

Just picked up 91 Chamonix with 140k. First tank was 11.7L/100km with 50% city/50% hwy with 300ml of two-stroke oil added. Highway was sea-to-sky which should get lower mileage than flats so I recon my mileage was pretty good from what I read so IP leak doesn't appear to be issue.

Much thanks in advance!
after oil
Vehicle: 92 cham-reimo poptop L300. 78MB240D

Re: B20 and B50 in L300 with No Conversion? Experience?

Post by after oil »

i think you should have no problem running b20 or b50 year round in an unconverted diesel engine. just keep an eye on the hoses for leaks from the alcohol in the biodiesel
Tojo
Vehicle: Delica L400 Super Exceed LWB

Post by Tojo »

I'm currently running B50 on an unmodified L300. Fill up at the United Petroleum in North Van. So far no issues, although I understand that biodiesel is acidic which means that I'll eventually have to get an IP rebuild.
1993 Delica L300, SWB, LSD, Super Exceed with Crystal-Lite, mostly stock but it's got a digital EGT!!!
1995 Delica L400, LWB, Super Exceed with Crystal-lite, Airlift airbags, SS intercooler pipes, soon to be WVO
1997 Isuzu ELF 2.0Ton Crane truck, 4300cc diesel, NKR66E
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Post by TardisDeli »

HI,
Biodiesel does not do the same as WVO. Biodiesel has alcohol or other solvents or explosive additives to make the force needed to replace diesel to power the engine for starting. After Oil (who is an expert user of WVO etc) gave you the warning, tactfully, that alcohol will affect your rubber. My warning is less tactful, those additives will EAT the rubber seals of your IP and eat your rubber fuel lines, and will clean and strip the gunk and the lining in your fuel tanks resulting in bits of gunk clogging your fuel system.

Pure WVO is only oil (usually canola) which does swell and seal rubber gaskets. L400's were built with tolerances for alcohol and solvents. L300 were not all so. I run WVO when the weather stays above 50 f /10 c at night (not yet as weather still chilly at night), 1/3 tank (or a cubie) wvo then fill the tank with diesel. Add a lubricity additive to the tank as diesel these days lacks sulpher which was the lube for the fuel system. Watch the lubes, do not get one that also cleans injectors, as that is the alcohol or solvent problem again.

I do not have any mods to my fuel system, but do replace my fuel filter annually, and air filter often, to ensure good fuel flow. Been using WVO in warmer weather for 3 ish years... usually from Queen Victoria's birthday, to end of september. Always carry a spare can of diesel in case you go camping at a local hillside, temp drops with altitude, cold wvo will gel, engine wont start, gelled wvo clogs fuel system, expensive tow to garage to purge (or tow to friends heated garage to get engine to warm air temp). Do NOT light a campfire under your engine to warm the gelled diesel, just don't.

Cheers, Christine.
Christine
Of The TardisDeli My TardisDeli travels thru time and space. Our house is nicknamed the TardisDeli Motel, as so many delii owners visit to share delii stories.

Return to “WVO and Biodiesel”