Import to the US??

Issues relating to the purchasing, importing, and inspection of JDM vehicles in Canada

Moderator: mark

jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Re: Import to the US??

Post by jessef »

Primary residence.

Realistically, you can get away with a few options listed on this thread.

Your problems can go from small to major if you get into an accident. That's the major issue. Especially if liability insurance is involved. Then it can get ugly.
pajerry
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 94' SWB Pajero, 94' LWB Pajero 3.5L

Post by pajerry »

If you are insuring through ICBC, don't even bother taking the risk.. I had a room-mate in Calgary from Comox BC that was living there for three months trying to find work on the oil rigs.. To make a long story short he got smoked by a large truck and they refused to pay him a dime unless he could provide gas and maintenance receipts from BC to prove he wasn't living out of province. He had a brand new 2006 Dodge Ram Sport of some sort, $60K truck managed to salvage it for a few grand.. never mind the damage to the cube van that hit him. He'll be paying that one off for a lonnng time.

If you were involved in an accident and injured someone, you would most likely be found liable and that can be $$$ in lawsuit happy USA. Im sure any lawyer worth his weight in lead could eat you up.. Delica's are great, but not worth potentially losing your life savings. Conform now and camperize a Dodge Van lol :) mmm V8 muscle!
'94 SWB Pajero 2.8L ITD, '94 LWB Pajero 3.5L DOHC 8-)
DelicaDJ
Vehicle: 1999 Pontiac Montana, no Deli yet..

Post by DelicaDJ »

If you know any of America's history at all, you'll know we're some stubborn people sometimes, & we don't give up without a fight... Well, I said that to say this, I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!!! 8-)
Daniel

I'm car-less at the moment... Moving to Virginia USA
Looking forward to getting a Deli in the US, prefer a 1986+ L300
DelicaDJ

Post by DelicaDJ »

I hope nobody thought I was shouting at them... :oops: I don't wanna look like a jerk, but I'm not giving up on getting my own JDM van or something like it! 8-)
Daniel

Mr. Flibble
Vehicle: 1995 L400 Royal Exceed

Post by Mr. Flibble »

DelicaDJ wrote:I hope nobody thought I was shouting at them... :oops: I don't wanna look like a jerk, but I'm not giving up on getting my own JDM van or something like it! 8-)
I have a number of friends in the Police force in the Seattle area, and basically you can't get around the 25 year limit for NHTSA. About the only way to achive this is to get the note from the manufacturer, and pay the $2 Million dollar fee to have the Delica model you want crash tested by NHTSA, and if it passes, then it will be legal.

In fact, I have TN Status in the United States (One Step below a Green Card) and I am finding out that it is extremely problematic - I may have to give up my Delica as I work in the US often, and I might not be able to continue insuring it with ICBC, and I am not able to register it with the DMV and get it licensed in the US.
Canadian living in Washington USA
DelicaDJ

Post by DelicaDJ »

I'm just gonna have to keep looking for an 86, or maybe look into the conversion someone did (is still doing?) in BC. Probably more likely for me to pick up one of the US version L-300's, as importing can still be a hassle... :-)
Daniel

konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

DelicaDJ wrote:I'm just gonna have to keep looking for an 86, or maybe look into the conversion someone did (is still doing?) in BC.
Here's the info on that conversion:
ccautos wrote:
I have an L300 LHD mitsubishi van that was imported new into the US and carries a washington title. The van was bought into Canada to modify it from 2wd/gas to a 4wd diesel. Most of the body conversion has been completed and the vehicle basically requires the running gear putting in and finishing. The owner was on the forum but due to the amount of time it took to find a body shop that was willing to take on the complex job of converting the vehicle the owner has fallen off the face of the earth. I have about $7000 invested in this project and figure another $2-3 k would complete it so that it is a fully legal `Delica` on US roads, no illegal import or grey area, just a LHD US registered van that has been modified. If interested in this project, please call 250-927-4536 or email ccautos@telus.net for more details and 100`s of pictures of progress and parts van. Thanks, Glen
Happy Day!
DelicaDJ

Post by DelicaDJ »

I tried sending an e-mail, but haven't heard back... I would love to see the pictures or perhaps come up there & take a good look at what all has gone into this van. Any excuse to go to Canada! 8-) Where is the van :? , & would a close-up look be a possibility if I make the trip?
Daniel

mtjohn
Vehicle: honda odyssey

Post by mtjohn »

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I was wondering if anyone has found a way to do this yet.. It is completely frustrating to me that we have such draconian laws about importing vehicles that are just as safe and typically more efficient than what we produce domestically, but we can't legally bring them into the country. Seems like these laws were designed only to keep competition out..

I have an idea and I would like to hear what people think about this.
This is the only way I figured to get a delica into the united states that might work?

Currently the import regulations regarding Kit Cars (http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/kitcar.htm)
reads as such
The production, sale and importation of automotive bodies alone (i.e., no chassis, engine or transmission) are not regulated by EPA since such units are not considered "motor vehicles" under the Clean Air Act. EPA form 3520-1 is not required for imported automotive bodies. A motor vehicle from which the engine has been removed is still a motor vehicle and is not considered a body.
The production, sale and importation of vehicle parts (engines, transmissions, chassis, vehicle bodies, etc.) are not regulated by EPA because parts are not considered motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. However if the parts constitute a disassembled vehicle or an approximate disassembled vehicle, the combination is considered a motor vehicle under the Clean Air Act. Any attempt to use this policy to circumvent the Clean Air Act or the Imports regulations will be considered a violation of the Clean Air Act and will be strictly enforced. An example of such circumvention is:

A kit car maker who also provides the engine and transmission before or after production/importation of the body/chassis.

According to the epa, removing an engine from a vehicle does not make it a body, but if you were to have the engine and transmission removed, would that not classify? Then have the body imported and later purchase an engine and tranny from someone else over seas and have it imported? technically this is like a kit car because you would have to build it..
Then file for a title as a kit car?

I hate our laws here.. but this is the only way I figure that we could legally get a safe and efficient car into the united states since it seems our laws are designed solely to keep competition out, or keep efficient cars out, whichever..
jessef

Post by jessef »

It won't work.

Mitsubishi did not make L300 'kit' cars, therefore if you strip the entire vehicle, it is still a vehicle, not a kit car.
No dice unfortunately.

Canada has the same import rule. It's just the dates that don't match.
mtjohn
Vehicle: honda odyssey

Post by mtjohn »

I am wondering if this would at least get it across the border though?

If I remember correctly there is a state that had some loosely defined laws when it came to issuing titles, and for under 150.00 you could get a title on just about anything. Then if I transferred that title to my state, maybe thats a work around?

I can't imagine that they can be too particular, by this I mean if I had it shipped in 10 different pieces, engine, trans, chassis, axles, etc. I could reassemble it and figure out the title work later, or modify another l300, etc. to become it?
jessef

Post by jessef »

two things you have going against you and it's been mentioned already

1. uniqueness of the L300. You WILL be stopped and possibly requested for a vehicle inspection. This will happen for sure because you will have the one L300 within thousands of miles.

2. insurance. good luck if you get into an accident, 'knock on wood' especially a fatal one. You will be denied coverage and possibly sued.

It's serious stuff driving a not-so-legal-grey-import.

If you can make it work, all the best to you. But you certainly will have no tangible advice coming from this side of the border that can help you.

Getting it across the border is possibly the most difficult part. The main one being finding someone gullible enough to sell their L300 to a US resident. It's their ass if their vehicle crosses the border. That's been discussed too. Someone wanted to drive their delica south and sell it. Coming back through customs would be a rollercoaster ride with a bad ending.

You have two options. Cough up the $7-10,000 and buy a real North American US Mitsu vanwagon converted to the L300 4x4 drivetrain/engine by coombs auto (mentioned as well) or buy a NA Mitsu vanwagon and convert it down there with parts.
Mr. Flibble

Post by Mr. Flibble »

Note, if you have a Canadian Licensed Delica in the US, you will very likely be added to a list of "noticed vehicles" by the local police. Should they see your Canadian Plate in the US for a protracted period of time, they will contact you to find out why you are in the US with a Canadian Registered Vehicle.

If you are not supposed to be there with the vehicle, you will be in serious trouble. My Delica has already been added to the list at least once. (Happens each time your license plate is run).

I have done extensive research on this at I have TN status, and gained employment in the US. There seems to be one legal option remaining, and I need to contact a registered importer to pursue this.

This will probably only work for me because:

1) I am Canadian
2) My Delica is my Van, and I owned it before I got employment in the US
3) I have TN Status

The process is as follows: Contact a Registered Importer who is willing to sign a bond for your vehicle. This costs money. This bond states that you will not sell or leave the vehicle in the United States, and that you will return it to the country of origin before the period of one year.

What this means: I register my vehicle with an importer and get a bond - which will be expensive. I legally import my van with the CBP showing the bond. I legally license my Van in the US. Before the period of 1 year, I return the Van to Canada. After a period of leaving my van in Canada - I return to secure a second bond for the next year.

For each year until my Delica model is 25 years old, I must repeat this process for as long as I own my Delica. When I choose to sell it, if it is before the 25 years of age period, I must return it to Canada.

Here is the specific legislation regarding the loophole that I can use:
A vehicle must be imported as a nonconforming vehicle unless it bears the manufacturer’s label certifying that it meets U.S. standards. If it is a nonconforming vehicle, the importer must contract with a DOT-registered importer (RI) to modify the vehicle and certify that it conforms to all applicable FMVSS. The importer must also post a DOT bond for one and a half times the vehicle’s dutiable value. This bond is in addition to the normal Customs entry bond. Copies of the DOT bond and the contract with the RI must be attached to the HS-7 form.

-------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I figured I would add this for the Americans who wonder how the import process works for them.

1) You must contact a registered importer.
2) You will need to import a number of vehicles, probably about 5 or so, and get permission from the CBP to do this.
3) The vehicles must be tested to pass and comply with EPA regulations. Dyno/emissions testing. (The Delica will pass this)
4) a fee of a CONSIDERABLE amount of money must be paid to NHTSA. This is for crash testing the 5 Delica's you brought in.
5) Should the Delica pass the Crash Testing (It won't) you can now be the only registered dealer who can import them
6) Should the Delica not pass the crash testing, a series of modifications to the frame, doors etc to allow the Delica to pass crash testing rules must be undertaken. If this is done, then any new Delica of the same model class that has had extensive modifications done by a registered importer to be brought into compliance may now be used.

Expect to pay the import costs, purchase costs, crash testing costs and cost of about 5 Delicas to import your single Delica.

Expect the cost to be in the area of $200,000 to $2,000,000
Last edited by Mr. Flibble on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Flibble

Post by Mr. Flibble »

If you illegally import or have a JDM in the US, you can be imprisoned (at least in WA state) for a year. I don't know about other states, or federal laws otherwise.

Here is the WA law:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.16.010

Some important links you need:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/
NHTSA - This is the Federal Agency that will deny your ability to import the vehicle.

------
A list of Registered Importers:
http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/en ... 062609.pdf

Note: MANY NO LONGER EXIST, MOST OF THE NUMBERS ARE NO LONGER IN SERVICE.

------

This is the form that allows you to import the vehicle if you own it for less than a year:

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/cbp_form_3299.pdf
Last edited by Mr. Flibble on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Flibble

Post by Mr. Flibble »

I am breaking up my posts because the forum does not allow me to post more than 4 links in a post....

-----

Finally, here is the MOST IMPORTANT FORM YOU MUST FILL OUT. THIS IS THE FEDERAL FORM FOR IMPORTING:
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN IMPORTING A DELICA OR OTHER JDM VEHICLE TO THE US, THEN DOWNLOAD THIS FORM AND *READ* IT:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/hs799short.pdf

Return to “Import, Inspection & Registration”