Ontario Drive Clean Updates!

Issues relating to the purchasing, importing, and inspection of JDM vehicles in Canada

Moderator: mark

Dino
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 Pajero 2800 LWB

Ontario Drive Clean Updates!

Post by Dino »

"Your attention please for a public service announcement!!!" - Is what the Ontario government should have been saying for the past 8 months. Instead they have failed to educate the populous and have "sprung upon us" new Drive Clean regulations :? .

I only just realized the other day that the 1998 model years are already going to be hitting the roads out here so I figured it was my duty to inform at least everyone here about the new rules and regulations that have come into effect as of Jan 1st 2013.

The most crucial update is in the types of tests that are performed. It used to be that all 2wd or selectable 4wd gasoline/propane fueled cars got a 25/25 dyno test (25MPH with a 25% simulated load) followed by an idle test. The exhaust would be probed during the test and the readings would be compared to manufacturer's specs with tolerances set by the government.

Full time 4wd vehicles got a "two speed idle" test, where the car would be revved at idle to 2500rpm for 90secs and then at idle rpm for 90secs. Just as with the dyno test, the exhaust would be probed and readings compared to specs.

Diesels on the other hand got away with just a visual inspection, where the exhaust would be observed for 5mins at idle, and if smoke was visible for a total of 5secs at anytime during the 5mins the vehicle would fail.

THIS IS NO LONGER!!!

The government has now taken advantage of current OBDII standard systems, thus causing many different testing scenarios.

All passenger vehicles since 1997 have been standardized with OBDII diagnostic systems that allow the car's computer to be "scanned" for information and error reports (codes) by diagnostic equipment.

For the emissions tests, all vehicles (BOTH GASOLINE AND DIESEL) model year 1998 or NEWER are required to have an OBDII Test performed. *NOTE - some exceptions apply.

The test comprises of plugging the Drive Clean Test Unit into the car's computer while the car is running. The Test Unit will cross reference the entered vehicle information with the information on the car's computer to prevent tampering/cheating. Once that is done it will check for error codes in the computer, quite simply, if there are codes stored in the car's computer it will fail the test. After checking for codes the Test Unit will check the monitors (the car's computer's checklist of emissions control systems), if there is more than 2 (model years 1998-2000) or 1 (model years 2001-current) "not-ready" or "not run" monitors the car will fail. This prevents you from simply clearing the stored codes before running the test.

Exception #1 - The bigger diesel fueled vehicles (GVWR 3850kg-4500kg) Model year 2005 or OLDER are not equipped with the same emissions monitoring systems as other OBDII vehicles, therefore they are given a visual test just like before.

Exception #2 - If a vehicle fails for "not-ready" monitors it will be given a second chance (there is a process that needs to be run first), if the vehicle still fails for "not-ready" monitors AND the test is required for an ownership transfer then a "two speed idle" test will be performed.

So to summarize, if your vehicle is model year 1998 or newer, and has a MIL (Check engine light) illuminated, then it will fail the test.

Now, for the rest of us with old vehicles...

If you have a model year 1997 or OLDER gasoline powered vehicle your car will be subjected to a two speed idle test no matter what drive train type.

If you have a model year 1997 or OLDER DIESEL powered vehicle your car will be subjected to the same visual inspection as before :-D

So... I hope you guys can make sense of this. TBH I don't know if the 1998 model year JDM vehicles are even equipped with OBDII (I would think so, but I don't know for sure).

If you guys have any questions please ask. I am a licensed Drive Clean inspector so I'm not just talking out my @$$ here, and if I don't have an answer for you right away I do have all the connections to find out for you!
thedjjack
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/forum/ucp.php?i=164
Vehicle: 1989 L300 HITOP!!

Re: Ontario Drive Clean Updates!

Post by thedjjack »

Your JDM will NOT have OBDII as fare as I know....
Bonsai
Vehicle: OMVIC# 5215108, drive my stock

Post by Bonsai »

I have had to test a few JDM gassers and diesels in Ontario this year including '98's with no OBD.

If you are e-testing a JDM 1998 gas or diesel you must send a 'gray market application' to drive clean so they can put your VIN in their system. The application can be e-mailed, relevant info on their website. It must include a photo of the VIN tag, pic through the driver's door showing the steering wheel, and a pick of the back showing any manufacturer badges and a goofy form. Also, they want a scan of the Ontario vehicle ownership. This is Not to be confused with the `Hot rod ap`

You'll get a phone call from drive clean once they have accepted your VIN and updated their spanky new system. If you have a 1998 JDM gasser you'll be tested at 1980's emission levels (600ppm hydrocarbons!) and is just a 2 speed idle.

Visual inspection for diesel hasn`t changed.

I have given them several ear-fulls since Jan 1st for not informing anybody and leaving a province full of confused drive-clean inspectors.
MardyDelica
Vehicle: DL#30843 /92 Delica Super Exceed

Post by MardyDelica »

hi, I know 1998 diesel Delica has OBD11 scanner plug in,
but try to used north American snap on tools thru my friend it wont work as it wont recognized the JDM chip.
answer is N/A, in order to read this you need a jap spec OBD11 scanner for japan or Asian spec.
otherwise its hard .
cheers
ImageImageImage
Dino
Vehicle: 1994 Pajero 2800 LWB

Post by Dino »

MardyDelica wrote:hi, I know 1998 diesel Delica has OBD11 scanner plug in,
but try to used north American snap on tools thru my friend it wont work as it wont recognized the JDM chip.
answer is N/A, in order to read this you need a jap spec OBD11 scanner for japan or Asian spec.
otherwise its hard .
cheers
Yup, I did a bit more digging, and although the European and Japanese market vehicles have the same standardized DLC connector they have a different communications protocol with the scan tools and thus will not work with a North American OBDII scan tool. I'd have to dig some more to see if these are easily obtainable or not, but irregardless it will not work with the Drive Clean Test Unit unless they were to update on their end.

Return to “Import, Inspection & Registration”