Hello

New to Delica Canada? Please introduce yourself and your van!
Nulla
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica JB500

Hello

Post by Nulla »

End of June we will be picking up our 1994 Mitsubishi Delica JB500 camper, Turbo diesel, 5 speed manual, 4x4. We don't know much about it but we like it's small footprint. We of course have many questions I,e. is this a L200, L300, or L400. I read from a post in this forum that 1994 is the 4th generation L400. We are trying to figure out among other things is when does the timing belt need to be replace, it has 73,000KM. We will be taking it on a road trip across the USA when we pick it up. Where should I post questions about this Delica on this forum? We are excited to begin this new adventure. Thank you
Attachments
PHOTO-2020-06-09-12-36-14.jpeg
PHOTO-2020-06-09-12-36-14.jpeg (64.9 KiB) Viewed 19183 times
PHOTO-2020-06-09-12-35-53.jpeg
PHOTO-2020-06-09-12-35-53.jpeg (53.29 KiB) Viewed 19183 times
Growlerbearnz
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Hello

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Welcome! The JB500 is a lovely little camper van, you're going to have lots of adventures!

That's an L300 beneath the camper body. Mitsubishi didn't stop making L300s when they introduced the L400 in 1994. 4WD L300s were made until 2000. 2WD L300s were made until 2016!

Some handy threads to get you started: Looking up the van's chassis number. Sounds dull, but it'll make finding parts much easier. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2119

Once you know your chassis number you can look up parts for your specific vehicle. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17210

The timing belts (there's two) in a diesel L300 are usually changed every 100,000km, but yours are now 27 years old, which is pretty damned old for something made of rubber. I would remove the plastic top timing belt cover and inspect the visible belt, any signs of cracking in the rubber and it's safest to replace them.
If a belt fails it will generally destroy the engine.

Technical questions would go in the L300 Technical forum (viewforum.php?f=6)
Also don't miss the FAQ (viewforum.php?f=16) or Technical Reference Library (viewforum.php?f=78), many common queries have been answered there.
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.
philmeup1
Vehicle: 1992 Delica

Hello

Post by philmeup1 »

Beauty camper, and excellent advice Growler. I knew the L300 body style continued past 1993, but I was unaware of these specifics. Now I want a 2000 L300, lol.

You will love that camper. I almost bought something similar a few years back, but my bid wasn't high enough at the auction. Please post more pics:)

Cheers,

Philmeup
Intrepidor
Vehicle: '93 Delica JB500 / '91 Super Exceed

Hello

Post by Intrepidor »

Hey Nulla, welcome to the club! Looks like yours is in good shape, you'll have to post more pics when it arrives. We've had our 1993 JB500 for a little over a year, but unfortunately haven't had a lot of time to use it, but it's interesting to see the changes from 93-94. Your nose is different than ours and the gray "skirt" on your angles up (ours is just straight) I'd love to see if your interior differs as well? the links Growlerbearnz included are a great place to start, but let me know if you have any questions. I was able to get my wiring system translated (under the side bench in ours) so assuming you have a similar setup, I'm happy yo share that with you. Here's ours for comparison. Please share more pics when you get it!
Jiro-2-sm.jpg
Jiro-2-sm.jpg (151.47 KiB) Viewed 18983 times
Nulla

Hello

Post by Nulla »

Growlerbearnz wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:35 pm Welcome! The JB500 is a lovely little camper van, you're going to have lots of adventures!

That's an L300 beneath the camper body. Mitsubishi didn't stop making L300s when they introduced the L400 in 1994. 4WD L300s were made until 2000. 2WD L300s were made until 2016!

Some handy threads to get you started: Looking up the van's chassis number. Sounds dull, but it'll make finding parts much easier. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2119

Once you know your chassis number you can look up parts for your specific vehicle. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17210

The timing belts (there's two) in a diesel L300 are usually changed every 100,000km, but yours are now 27 years old, which is pretty damned old for something made of rubber. I would remove the plastic top timing belt cover and inspect the visible belt, any signs of cracking in the rubber and it's safest to replace them.
If a belt fails it will generally destroy the engine.

Technical questions would go in the L300 Technical forum (viewforum.php?f=6)
Also don't miss the FAQ (viewforum.php?f=16) or Technical Reference Library (viewforum.php?f=78), many common queries have been answered there.
Thank you for all this great info. I am pretty certain I will be changing the timing belt, should I change the water pump, seals, tensioners like you would normally do when changing the timing belt? This rig only have 43K mile on it. thx
Nulla

Hello

Post by Nulla »

Intrepidor wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:10 pm Hey Nulla, welcome to the club! Looks like yours is in good shape, you'll have to post more pics when it arrives. We've had our 1993 JB500 for a little over a year, but unfortunately haven't had a lot of time to use it, but it's interesting to see the changes from 93-94. Your nose is different than ours and the gray "skirt" on your angles up (ours is just straight) I'd love to see if your interior differs as well? the links Growlerbearnz included are a great place to start, but let me know if you have any questions. I was able to get my wiring system translated (under the side bench in ours) so assuming you have a similar setup, I'm happy yo share that with you. Here's ours for comparison. Please share more pics when you get it!

Jiro-2-sm.jpg
Finally my JB500 is on my driveway, I have already started taking it apart to change the timing belt, water pump etc.. I have not gotten around to sorting out the camper I will for sure ask you how to make things work on the camper. I will start a JB500 thread on the L300 section. Hopefully other JB500 owner will help me sort things out.

Return to “Member Introductions”