Thread/Post Etiquette poll

Report a bug, or request a feature...

Moderator: mark

Delete unsubstantiated posts that attack a members integrity.

Poll ended at Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:35 am

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 29

marsgal42
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: The Mighty Gumdrop

Re: Thread/Post Etiquette poll

Post by marsgal42 »

I'm reminded of the quote from Childhood's End, about well-bred people not caring to read about the social gaffes of others.

There have been the much-ado-about-nothing threads (e.g. odometer rollback), and one recent nasty thread about a dealer who are actually pretty good to deal with (I'm happy with them), and who actually do sell decent vehicles (mine is very nice indeed), but who don't seem to merit the mass adulation and general godlike status of Amazing Imports (Mardy) and CVI (Butch).

I can, and generally do, ignore the former category of threads. But the latter category can do a lot of damage, and do not contribute to Canadian Delica-dom in any way. There are some subjects I feel strongly about but have given up on, since my views seem to be incompatible with the consensus.

Forums like this tend to be badness amplifiers, and have always been. People rarely write that Dealer XYZ sold them a great van and are taking great care of it, or that their van performed just fine on a recent trip. People only write that Dealer ABC screwed them, and that their pile of junk fell apart on the Malahat.

I try to post positive things, and do positive things for Delica-dom. Like ordering a second copy of the JPNZ L300 shop manual to put us over the top so they'll publish it. I encourage others to make our little corner of the web a better place, each in their own way.

...laura
dfnder
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '91 Exceed

Post by dfnder »

the results are in, but no definate verdict.

thanks for participating
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

I have a question: How do you define the words "attack" and "integrity"?

During this whole deal with Kei King I often got red flags and PMs from Kei King (amongst others) claiming that others had attacked his integrity. I had to read through many posts, including the relevant posts around the post in question, to determine what integrity had been compromised and who had got their nose out of joint or who had a bad day at the office. Then I discovered that Kei King was operating puppets and that changed things. However I saw frustrated people saying things that could be used against them in court. If you peruse through "Dealer Feed Back, Beefs & Bouquets" ~ such as the Silk Road & Japanoid threads ~ there are a lot of members that could be construed as "attacking someone's integrity". In such cases I refer to "Site Rule 1.1.1", which can be found in "Member Introductions", remembering that sometimes one must get their ya-yas out and as a community we must hear them out with a certain measure of "Tolerance". Perhaps we should open a new forum called "Venting" (as mentioned before by someone) where what is said would stay in there ~ a sort of "bad dog box". On the other hand I think this would invite more negative feelings into our otherwise pleasant community.

Maybe we should remember to practice Tolerance and Courtesy and remember that the first rule of "Right Of Way" is that it is "to be given and not taken".

Having said that I think I will climb back into my box.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

Return to “Site Suggestions & General Feedback”