Whipsaw 4x4 wknd overnight - wknd of Sept 10-12

Mr. Pistachio
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L400 LWB Super Exceed

Re: Whipsaw 4x4 wknd overnight - wknd of Sept 10-12

Post by Mr. Pistachio »

So I'll be coming for sure. I'm leaving Vancouver at 7 pm (CBC at Hamilton/Robson) and it could be great to convoy with someone as I'm not totally sure where I'm going! If everyone's gone before 7pm I'll drive to Eastgate and camp close ishh to the entry of the trail as I'm not confortable to drive alone in the dark because I have no clue where I'm going! So if anyone can delay a little bit their leave it be nice or I'll meet up saturday morning!

Antoine
Mr. Pistachio

Post by Mr. Pistachio »

Gas station:

Just so you know! Eastgate gas station close at 8pm on Friday. Princeton Esso and Petro-Canada are open 0600 to 2200 every day. Before Leaving the Highway 1, there's the Coquihalla Chevron that's open 24 hours in the city of Hope : http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=fr&q=Coqu ... 16&iwloc=A

Cheers!
delicat
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Post by delicat »

I was hoping to leave earlier like 4:30 or so but we quickly need to access who exactly is coming, what time and where from so we could organize one or two convoys.

If we leave earlier, like 4:30pm I think we might do better taking the 99 to zero avenue... or Patullo Bridge but that's more risky. Either way we'd get there earlier than waiting for 7pm plus construction traffic won't ease that much. If everyone prefer to wait for 7pm then we'll adjust and probably meet at Ikea in Bby and take hwy 1.

So I'm good to go from 4pm and if an early depart we could meet in Richmond near Oak bridge exit, there's a Tim Horton on Brigeport and West of No. 4 Rd. Makes for an easy access to the 99. If we take Hwy 1 then we'll need to find something else.

So, names time location please, just so we don't leave anyone behind!

Cheers,
Mr D.
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
RichD

Post by RichD »

Delicat; I've been in touch with people and I know who to be watching out for and where on Friday:

- David & Felix - last I heard you guys are leaving after work on Friday, have GPS on board, and know the trail well enough to get to the low camp after dark
- RichD - low camp for sure on Friday, will make an attempt to convoy Antoine from Eastgate to low camp Friday evening.
- Tony & kids - probably will be at high camp Friday; I'll come say hi before dark
- Antoine/Pistachio - departing from Vancouver at 7PM, will be camping by Eastgate on Friday and will meet us early Saturday AM.

- Falco is out, Coaxial is out.
- Jay is tentative.

I have no direct confirmations from the Okanagan crowd but it would be tremendous fun to see one or two of them.

If your name wasn't mentioned but you intend to show and want us to make an effort to meet up with you, please contact me.
Richard Dagenais
Mr. Pistachio

Post by Mr. Pistachio »

Hey Folks,

So I'll try to leave early, 1815, I'll have to check out today! In any case, I'll stop at Hope for Diesel and I'll camp at the entry of the tracks. Basically I'll zero my Odo at Esatgate gas station and should be good to find the entry point. And I'll camp there. As for saturday, is the track obvious enough for me the join you at the low camp or there's too much left and right turn to be done?

Antoine / Mr. Pistachio
delicat

Post by delicat »

Just a heads up for fuel, cheaper in Chilliwack, Lickman exit there's a Shell for trucker and also good for us...

As for ease of finding the trail it might be a challenge in the dark. It's not that far off the entrance (maybe 1/2hr?) but just to be safe we could meet Saturday morning just off the hwy where the dirt road start? Dunno, I think Rich posted a bunch of topo description? But eh, Rich is running the show this time... he'll let you know! :-D

Mr D.
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

tonydca
Vehicle: 95 L400 Exceed - yeah, baby!

Post by tonydca »

delicat wrote:Just a heads up for fuel, cheaper in Chilliwack, Lickman exit there's a Shell for trucker and also good for us...

As for ease of finding the trail it might be a challenge in the dark. It's not that far off the entrance (maybe 1/2hr?) but just to be safe we could meet Saturday morning just off the hwy where the dirt road start? Dunno, I think Rich posted a bunch of topo description? But eh, Rich is running the show this time... he'll let you know! :-D

Mr D.
Not sure what route I took when I went (no GPS so no co-ord trail...), but I basically followed the primary Whipsaw FSR pretty much the whole way along, and it's fairly well marked: (km markings are approximate)

At km 2.4 is a sign for the Lamont FSR. Do not take it
At km 4.2 is a sign for discontinued Whipsaw Creek road. Do not take it (bear left along the main road)

Various off-shoot roads for the next 10 km or so, but the "main" FSR road is noticeably wider/clearer than the others; stay on it.

At km 15.5, sign for Garrison Creek road on the left; fairly major-looking road, but do not take it (bear right). Beyond here, the "main" FSR becomes rougher, but basically keep following your nose!

At km 18.5, road has a three-way fork, shallow-down to the left, level straight ahead, or up and to the right. Take the centre road. If you are on the correct one, about 50 yards past, look back over your shoulder and you will see a yield triangle sign on the left with the obligatory couple of bullet holes in it.

You will know you are on the right path when you pass the wreckage of a mining area from the 60's on your left at about km 20. Lots of old wooden boxes with core samples in them. Good fun to explore but lots of nails poking thru the wood!

At km 22 is the sign for the "Hope Pass Trail" but it is also very clearly marked by others: "Whipsaw Trail==>" Follow all the signs and arrows pointing to the right, along the rutted road, past the very cool Corral Creek cabin at km 23.5 (inhabited, I think), then you have no choice but to follow your nose right along the trail for about another 5 kms to the Holding Cabin.

I was a bit cautious the last time I head up there on my own, and there are a zillion opportunities to roam around the many offshoots, but if you are aiming for the Holding Cabin, it is a pretty straight shot to get there.

We're planning to head out Friday morning for dinner at the Holding cabin; if anyone wants to convoy up there with me, drop me an email tdoman(at)direct.ca and we can arrange a meetup. Otherwise we'll keep the fire on and the coffee going and we'll see you up there later!

Cheers,

Tony.
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the elementary-school-aged boys...
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

I can't leave until sat morning.

Where do you think you guys will be along the trail late sat am ?
tonydca
Vehicle: 95 L400 Exceed - yeah, baby!

Post by tonydca »

jfarsang wrote:I can't leave until sat morning.

Where do you think you guys will be along the trail late sat am ?
There should be a camp setup by the lake at Holding's cabin (see earlier posting; about 50-100m past the actual cabin off the main road); sounds like a few folks are coming up there for Sat am. When we head out from there on Sat for the rest of the day, we'll make sure to leave a note, but I think the current plan is to spend Sat night there.
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the elementary-school-aged boys...
RichD

Post by RichD »

Jesse bring cookies.
Richard Dagenais
delicat

Post by delicat »

Jesse,

Just keep pushing ahead, I'm sure you can't miss us! I would simply leave early, very early (pre-packed the night before) and I'm sure by the time you arrive we'll still be at our first camp. That's what I'd do... but I'm used to get up at 5am :-D

If you let us know for sure then I don't see a problem waiting for you.

Cheers,
Mr D.
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

jessef

Post by jessef »

I'm in for sure.

How long will it take me to get there from Vancouver ?
RichD

Post by RichD »

3hrs all told. Where are you meeting us? We are halfway there.
Richard Dagenais
jessef

Post by jessef »

Just spoke with David.

I'll leave at 5am and shoot up there.

First time I've come in from that route. Usually pop in from the other side.

If it works out timewise, I'll be at 1st camp around 10 or earlier.
RichD

Post by RichD »

RichD wrote:It is extremely unlikely that we could do the whole loop in one weekend, and I am quite certain that the way we go in is the way we get out.
RichD wrote:The hill climbs look fine but around the 2min mark is where I think the Delicas give up.
RichD wrote:The Whipsaw's reputation is overstated.
I will now eat my words.

Delicat, jfarsang, Felix, tonydca (& family), Mr. Pistachio, and myself have the distinguished honor of having completed the entire Whipsaw Trail from start to finish - entering on Hwy3 and exiting at Coalmont - in two days with two stock L400s (LWB & SWB), a stock L300, a lifted L300, and the tremendous support of two stock Safari's.

This epic adventure featured two very long days of intense offroading, and covered famed obstacles like Falcon hill and The Ditch. Delicat even climbed The Ledge! The trail was much more rugged than what we saw in our previous weekend, and the wet conditions added loose earth and slick mud to the equation.

As I lay in my slightly battered Deli parked at a Rest Stop short of Vancouver, too exhausted to drive but too wired to sleep, I still can't believe we made it. While this experience was a tremendous affirmation of the respect we have for our capable machines, by far the best part was the group. This was nothing less than a team effort; we carried each other through those mountains as much as our trucks did. None of us had ever done this trail before. Every corner brought a new challenge. There was real uncertainty, peril, adrenaline and the exhilerating joy of conquest.

We have photos and videos but none of it really does justice to the experience, or the difficulty of the manoeuvres. Watch this thread; I hope people post stories as well as media...
Attachments
DCATeamWhipsaw2010.jpg
DCATeamWhipsaw2010.jpg (361.48 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
Richard Dagenais

Return to “Events - BC Lower Mainland”