Help me see the light...

A close "cousin" of the Mitsubishi Delica
SouthpawTiger
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5td LWB

Help me see the light...

Post by SouthpawTiger »

Hey y'all!

This is my first 4x4, and I was very excited to buy it. The prospect of going anywhere, an engine with seemingly infinite longevity and lauded history, and a rumbly turbodiesel which my father would have loved. Combined with the fact that this 92 only had 220k kms, and had been opened up to 15psi made me very excited to drive it home
However....
I have a huge puddle from some leak as I arrive to work today. I notice the rubbers are hardened around the windows, there's a bunch of corrosion on the undercarriage, and it seems like the main seal and some of the gaskets have gone. I've got a little bit of what might be buyers remorse nipping at my heels, partly because I've not yet sold my 97 nissan d21 pickup, with a manual transmission and a peppy engine.

So, I ask your advice, please.

Will this be able to be the adventure truck I've been hoping for? Should I put in the work to replace the gaskets, main seal, and track down the oil leak issue, or should I do what's convenient and simple as time goes on, enjoy the truck and accept that it will leak and that's just that?
I have a feeling my father would have said, "just let it leak and enjoy it, that's the way these old trucks are." The engine seems sluggish, I'm starting to doubt that it wouldn't have the energy to take me, some friends and some gear up to the mountains to the serene camping grounds I'm hoping for without a rebuild.

Your advice and comradery are greatly appreciated. I want to love this truck, so please either set me straight or help me see the light! Thanks again!

This is her:

This is a suspected source of the biggest leak. Please help me identify it if you have any clue what this is
a- Some sensor, haven't seen yet where it attaches
b- A banjo fitting, some hose leading somewhere
c- A rubber hose connecting to the oil pan I suspect.
leak hunting.jpg
leak hunting.jpg (60.54 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
Another angle of the pump which the hose attaches to.
pump with leakage.jpg
pump with leakage.jpg (47.42 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
Attachments
My new rig
My new rig
Tasha.jpg (82.62 KiB) Viewed 1844 times

Return to “Pajero”