Location of Low side port on A/C for 1992 Pajero.

A close "cousin" of the Mitsubishi Delica
Grasshopper2Ant
Vehicle: 1992 Pajero

Location of Low side port on A/C for 1992 Pajero.

Post by Grasshopper2Ant »

I have a 1992 Pajero 4 door. Can someone post the location of the low side port on the A/C. I also want to know how I can tell if it is R12 or R134a in the system. I have read it is on the compressor but I cannot see it. Also I took the grille off and can see the sight glass but no high /low ports.

Thanks for any help.
Grasshopper2Ant
Vehicle: 1992 Pajero

Re: Location of Low side port on A/C for 1992 Pajero.

Post by Grasshopper2Ant »

Located on the compressor. Black cap is low side, unscrews horizontally. Red cap is high side, unscrews vertically. My nipple is not retrofitted so I assume it is r12 freon.
Hope this helps someone.
LeeHammy
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8L Turbo

Re: Location of Low side port on A/C for 1992 Pajero.

Post by LeeHammy »

Hey,
I'll start out by saying I am a journeyman HVAC technician. I have not yet worked on the Mitsubishi A/C however it is basiclly all the same. Two things you can do to test if your port is low side or high side is while running the system the low side will be cold and high hot. Obvious I know however if your unable to run the system you can often tell by the line size. The high side is a smaller diameter line than the low side.
Your should be able to test the refrigerant inside by looking at the name plate. but just by the year of your ride it is most likely R12 which by the way is not Freon. Freon is a trade name for R22 use in residential A/C like Kleenex is for tissue.
Because R12 is phased out and is almost impossible to come by your are now stuck with the issue of putting a drop in replacement. You must be careful when doing so. If you are "low" refrigerant it is only because you have a leak. There is no point "topping up" your R12 if there is a leak. Some guys will say that just adding R134a is fine however R134a uses POE oil (Poly Ester Oil) and R12 uses mineral oil. These oils are specific to the refrigerant. You should not and cannot (if you expect the work and money you put in to last) ignore the fact that they are not intended to mix.
In addition to all of this heavy info is the following.
- If you don't have a gauge manifold you have no idea what is in your system nor what it is doing.
- Water and refrigerant equal acid. Acid eats away at the system causing compressor failure.
- Water is in our air. H2O. Exposing your system to our air will cause failure. This is not like topping up your gas tank..
- Find someone who can retrofit a new R134a system in your ride. And ask them the same questions I just asked you.
- If they say things like I'll just pump in some 134a and all will be fine.. RUN. not worth the wasted money.
- If they have R12 cool. However make sure they leak check your system before adding it because a leaking system doesn't repair itself and you will just be back every 4 months to have a "top up" which isn't solving anything.

Any questions.. let mw know.

Liam
i like cheese

Return to “Pajero”