Sliding Door Window Leak

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Sliding Door Window Leak

Post by lrp374 »

I was recently in a severe thunder,rain and hail storm. Taking refuge the the van I noticed the window leaking. No big deal I thought I can fix that. I've taken the window out and replaced the paper thin rubber between the window and frame with 3/16 x 3/8 self adhesive rubber. It appears to leak as bad as the original. I'm sure I'm not the first to have this problem. I searched the form and can find every other kind of leak imaginable. Any easy fixes would be appreciated.

Larry
TardisDeli
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Re: Sliding Door Window Leak

Post by TardisDeli »

hi larry, your van looks identical to my other L300 1991, same colour. I think you are the first with a window leak there (except for those with slider windows) after seeing hundreds of L300s over the years.
I would spray a silicone protector that will swell rubber, I glob it on after I have cleaned it with alcohol which I let dry, then rub the spray in with my finger, let dry in the sun for some minutes, then rub more silicone in. Check that you dont have a tear or crack in the rubber. also check the screws that hold the window in, they do rattle loose on gravel roads (I always check after off roading), the screw is one piece with a moulded plastic top cap, just turn the screw head cap with your finger tips to ensure you can't undo it with your finger tips. i prefer No Touch Interior shine and protect, made by permatex, avail at Lordco, but don't use on the steering wheel as incredibly shiny and slippery.
Cheers Christine.
Christine
Of The TardisDeli My TardisDeli travels thru time and space. Our house is nicknamed the TardisDeli Motel, as so many delii owners visit to share delii stories.
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Thanks for the info Christine. This window does not have the usual rubber seal. The piece I took out was paper thin and almost looked like the 3M double sided tape used to attached molding etc. with only one side sticky. The new rubber I tried was thicker which I thought would be better but it is not. It almost appears the window bends because of the extra thickness and leaves a gap in the middle.

Any other thoughts?
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Well I tried the 3m tape a few weeks ago and it appears to have worked like a charm. The center of the window is now solidly stuck to the frame and no more leak. You can purchase a strip on Ebay or likely buy a big roll locally.
Attachments
3M Tape.jpg
3M Tape.jpg (2.92 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
Growlerbearnz
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Post by Growlerbearnz »

I had some windscreen sealant left over, so I used that. I was amazed that the Mitsubishi's silly little foam gasket ever worked at all!
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

Return to “L300 Technical”