No Start

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
rootbeerinacan
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L300

No Start

Post by rootbeerinacan »

Hey all! I am brand new to the Delica community, and decided to get started with a white 1992 L300 with a '94 engine.

I drove it from Victoria to Nanaimo to Vancouver without issues, but the next morning it would not start.

Normal start:
1-Key in, turn to "on".
2-Hear first click (glow plugs on), hear second click (glow plugs off).
3-Turn key to "start", engine starts, release key.
4-Drive and be happy.

Current condition:
1-Key in, turn to "on".
2-Hear first click (glow plugs on).
3-Turn key to "start", hear click from behind driver's seat (same as glow plug clicks), no response from starter or engine. Another click upon key release.
4-Smash head against steering wheel in a fit of rage.

The initial glow plug click and the click that occurs as I turn/release the key are a different sound.

I've already rebuilt my starter, then it started a half dozen times, only to fail-to-start again when I actually drove it somewhere.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! Such a failure on day-2 of Delica ownership really kicked my enthusiasm to the curb, how often does stuff die on your Delica?
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Re: No Start

Post by konadog »

As a temporary fix to try and get it started, try giving the starter a few whacks with a hammer. I've not done this with a delica, but it's worked for me in the past... Good luck.
Happy Day!
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Post by TardisDeli »

We need totroubleshoot. my hunch is wiring since you have nothing and no ignition cllcks.

If you heard engine trying to start, then would look at fuel, ip, starter.

excuse my bad typing, not on normal pc, just rushing to give u advice asap. I am Christine.

is it battery, without engine on, are headlights bright, and stay bright without dimming for one minute. if yes, we rule out battery. if no, do a battery Load Test. If load test ok, next we look at alternator.

the easy way to know if alternator problem, whiledriving in dark area, did the warning lights on the dashboard along the bottom of the guages, glow when they should be dark, ie did warning lights for overheating or transmission or oil or handbrake light up or fade in and out... they should be dark unless you have an emergency problerm. so, if they glow then yr alternator is crying out for help.

Wiring issues that give you a Nothing are located near main battery. look at wiring above battery, under passenger seat. there is a Fusible Link, with 4 wires curling in and out, each of the 4 wires is actually a fuse, is anything melted or toasted on this. also look near it, there are one or 2 small single plastic connectors with a single wire going in and out, if the plastic housing is burnt or toasty brown or wires are a fit melted near the plastic connectors, then these will prevent yr starting.

i will pm you my home phone, call me to walk thru troubleshooting on phone this morning.

christine.
Christine
Of The TardisDeli My TardisDeli travels thru time and space. Our house is nicknamed the TardisDeli Motel, as so many delii owners visit to share delii stories.
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Post by TardisDeli »

do read the recent post called Electrical Question, writtten by Explosive Abe, his problem might be same as yours. c.
Christine
Of The TardisDeli My TardisDeli travels thru time and space. Our house is nicknamed the TardisDeli Motel, as so many delii owners visit to share delii stories.

Return to “L300 Technical”