oil being forced out oil cap

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
hotplate
Vehicle: Dodge Ram

oil being forced out oil cap

Post by hotplate »

Hey guys,

so for some time now oil has been coming out of the oil cap and leaking like crazy. I've replaced the cap and that is obviously not the issue. Someone told me that maybe the crank case isn't breathing properly?

Has anyone had a similar issue and found any probably causes/fixes?

Thank you
Big-Bird
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=20974
Vehicle: 96 PE8W Spacegear

Re: oil being forced out oil cap

Post by Big-Bird »

If you have a diesel then the breather hose between the valve cover and the air cleaner could be obstructed.

the oil cap may need the tabs bent slightly to get a better gasket seal.....the metal surface of the valve cover opening may not be flat, clean. the gasket on your oil cap may not be seating properly due to the seating surface on the valve cover and/or the gasket on your oil cap is damaged or hard.

if it's a gas unit then your PCV might be plugged.
Yeah I joined the Dark Side because the medical plan is top shelf!

hotplate
Vehicle: Dodge Ram

Post by hotplate »

Its a diesel

I would imagine its this breather hose issue cause the cap is on there super tight and its still spilling out. Can anyone describe to me how to locate the breather hose? Does anyone have a picture? Also whats the best way to go about unplugging it?

Thanks
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

It's the four inch long black hose which emanates from the back of the rocker cover as you look at the motor from the passenger door. It runs from the rocker cover to the black metal air intake pipe, at least if it's still the stock arrangement.

Question: Did you replace the oil cap with a brand new one or a used one? If the latter I found that adding a rubber O ring behind the cap's rubber seal works wonders. Regarding cleaning the breather tube ~ it's something like a quarter inch interior diameter ~ you could probably clean it out with a phillips screwdriver.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

Return to “L300 Technical”