Not running after Oil & Fuel Filter change

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
cinjay
Vehicle: 1994 L300 Super Exceed

Not running after Oil & Fuel Filter change

Post by cinjay »

Hello all,

I have a problem with my Van after an Oil & Fuel Filter change.

Did the Oil first. Starting the van after revving up a little then topping up to full line on dipstick. Everything as normal so far. In replacing the fuel filter I removed the hoses and electrical from the filter and housing. Undid the two nuts from the firewall and placed the housing in the vise. I find this much easier than trying to get at it while its still in the engine compartment. Grabbed the new Baldwin filter and o-ring. Installed it back on the housing then installed that back in the the engine compartment. Hooked the hoses and electrical back up. Primed it with the pump. Fired it up and took it for a test drive. It did not run very well. No power. It took forever to get up to 80kms. Made it back home. Went over what I had done to make sure all is in the right place. Everything looked fine hoses were not backwards. I even had a look at the kick down cable linkage to see if I bumped something there. Everything looked as it should. Was thinking it has to be some sort of air infiltration, so I checked all connections. Everything was secure. Thought maybe I had a faulty fuel filter. Installed a new one. Still the same problem, if not worse now. It stumbled on idle, and stalled at a stop sign. A few years ago I changed out the hose that runs from the filter to the IP. It was getting dried and cracked. So I decided to just replace the remainder of the old hoses to see if that solved the problem. It didn't. I dug a little deeper, and looked at the fuel tanks for rust. I read that a few people have had problems with that. The tanks look to be rust free. I phoned Butch to see if he had any suggestions(Wish I was closer to CVI). He mentioned to blow a little air though the filter housing passages. Might be something caught in the housing causing it to lose prime. Still didn't help. One thing I tried is while the van was running, to push on the filter prime. It would depress and the van would seem to run better. I could actually rev it up with out it stumbling. I don't know what else to try. Please let me know if you can think of something I can try.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!
Jason
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Re: Not running after Oil & Fuel Filter change

Post by lrp374 »

I just changed my oil and fuel filters and was lucky enough all went well. I think in your case it sounds like something happened you didn't do. One easy way to isolate your problem might be to disconnect the hose to the IP pump and stick it in a jar of fuel. If the engine runs well the problem is from the filter back , if it doesn't then it's from this hose on. I believe some IP pumps have a filter installed in the fuel fitting. I know there is a post on this filter I'll see if I can find it. Good Luck!!

Larry
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

cinjay

Post by cinjay »

I will try it when the weather is warmer. It’s-30 tonight. Thanks for the info.
cinjay

Post by cinjay »

The weather is better so I was able to run a line directly into the pump bypassing everything. I checked the banjo bolts. No screens there, and they looked clean as far as I could tell. Started it up, but it didn’t improve. It would idle not to bad, a little rough. If I increased the rpm it would almost stall. I could get the rpm up a bit if I feathered the throttle. When it came back down it was very rough at idle. I tried bleeding at the injectors as well. Fuel was making it to all of them. Anything else to try?
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

I think you've reached the limit of my potential help. I will keep on thinking about it though. I might suggest sending a PM to Growlerbearnz asking him to look @ your post. He is "THE MAN" when it comes to L300 Problems. He isn't on the site much anymore as most L300's don't appear to be having problems. I know he helped me a lot. If he reply's you'll get a whole new appreciation for the L300.
cinjay

Post by cinjay »

Well it’s been over 100k and I don’t know how many years since the IP has been looked at. So I decided to ship it to CVI. I will update when I know more. Thanks for the help :-)
cinjay

Post by cinjay »

Well the injectors were definitely in need of a service. All nozzle tips we’re sticking. Butch cleaned them with the ultrasonic cleaner and they are good as new now. I’m guessing I sucked some dirt in when I changed the fuel filter. I got the IP done at the same time, so that is good as new too. Got it shipped back from CVI. Once installed it fired right up. Took it for a quick spin. Noticed it had a bit more pep, and also smoothed out the idle. Did the fine tuning to the IP buy rotating it a bit. I wasn’t expecting such an improvement in performance! Way quicker from a dead stop to 50kms, smoother idle, and hills are a breeze. Thanks Butch!
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Good to see your back on the road. Butch does great work. I had his Deli tune done on my van a number of years ago and it really does make a difference. Good to hear he is still working.

Return to “L300 Technical”