Help! No power steering, very stiff brake pedal

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
Spacetractor
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Delica l300 1992 diesel

Post by Spacetractor »

I have a 92 diesel manual delica, and I began hearing squeaking ing when turning, so I checked the power steering fluid (took a little time to figure out it was under the drivers seat), and I couldn’t d see any in the reservoir, so ignorant me put power steering fluid in, and then tested it, no dice. Then I read it doesn’t take power steering fluid, it needs dexron atf, so I used a turkey baster and got all that I could out of the reservoir, then put dexron 6 in, road tested in again, and it still squeaked, went to turn around to go home, and my brake pedal was extremely stiff, and took a lot of force to brake. What should I do? Is it possible to drain the rest of the bad fluid? Is the bad fluid what’s causing my problems?
Thanks
Growlerbearnz
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Do you also have the battery warning light on the dashboard? (Does it come on before you start the engine, and go off once the engine is running?)

It sounds like the twin belts that run the alternator are loose or broken. The alternator has a vacuum pump on the back that powers the brake pedal booster, and the belts also run the water pump- which has another belt coming off it that runs the power steering.

ATF and power steering fluid are pretty much the same thing, ATF just has more additives and some red dye.
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.
Khrolar
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/VD
Vehicle: 1994 L400, LWB, Super Exceed

Post by Khrolar »

Well I can't help as to what's causing the squeaking. But It is possible to drain or flush the power steering fluid. Keep in mind that I'm not a L300 owner, but an L400. However the power steering setups are similar from what I can tell.
At the resivor that you filled up there should be 2 hoses coming into it. One on the side, one out the bottom.

Disconnect the hose on the side, and plug the reservoir so it won't suck or overflow via that inlet. A piece of hose with a bolt and hose clamp will work.

Now on the hose that's coming from your power steering rack add an extension to it and run it down to a bucket.

Add fluid to the reservoir and while the van is running start turning from side to side, this will move fluid from the reservoir through the power steering rack and instead of flowing back into the reservoir, will overflow to the bucket.

Do this untill the new fluid starts to come out into the bucket, Then a little more. When your done hook up the system as it was at the beginning. Top off the reservoir and go for a drive. Then recheck the reservoir for the right fluid level.

Having the van on jackstands will save you grinding your tires into the pavement as well.

Did I miss anything guys? Or am I totally out in left field here?

Return to “L300 Technical”