The Japanoid Nightmares / Japanoid sucks Chronicles

Forum rules
Please refer to Site Rule 1.1.1 prior to posting in this forum.
tbrownell
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 Delica

The Japanoid Nightmares / Japanoid sucks Chronicles

Post by tbrownell »

I've dealt with Japanoid exactly 3 times, and each time has been a trainwreck.

First time was with a 1994 Delica where one of the brake calipers pretty much locked up while I was driving in New West. Took it in to Japanoid, and asked for a quick quote on replacing the calipers and pads. While I was there, I asked how much they charge for an oil change. They said they would take a look, but was in a rush and left the vehicle and returned a couple hours later, only to be handed a bill for nearly $200. Brake inspection and oil change! I didn't request either. I just wanted a price for both. I managed to negotiate to pay for just the oil change, but that was after some time. I took the vehicle to Mardy at Amazing Auto and he did a fantastic job on the brakes for half of what Japanoid quoted.

The second time was with a Honda Acty I purchased used that needed the alternator replaced. I've replaced a few alternators in my day, but the Acty is nuts, and simply didn't have time. Took it in to Japanoid, and long story short, required shipping a used alternator from Japan. I was apprehensive, and instructed them to ensure the alternator worked before shipping it. The mechanics replaced it, only to discover that it too wasn't working. It required pulling it again, and rebuilding from the two alternators to finally get one working. Total price to replace the alternator: $650 and two weeks.

The third and last time (glutton for punishment, I know), was the same Acty which failed Aircare. I took the vehicle back to Japanoid for a tune up, which they did, but ran the vehicle through Aircare themselves (charging me $130 to do so without notifying me) where it failed again, only this time the readings were twice as bad as when I ran it through earlier. When I complained to the mechanics, they admitted that Japanoid shouldn't be doing Aircare repairs, as they don't have the equipment or expertise. After emphasizing how shocked I was, paid my bill ($455 for a lousy tuneup) as I was given no choice. Totally disgruntled now, I drove away only to find the vehicle was running terribly, much worse than when I dropped it off. I returned it complaining again and a few hours later received a call from Shogo (the owner) where he said they 'did their best' and I can find my car on the street. No apology. No refunds. And given they are not an Aircare Certified shop, no conditional pass either.

I do want to add that I've found the mechanics themselves to be very nice and as helpful as possible. But it's Shogo you need to deal with. Shogo, if you're reading this and would like to rectify any of it, you have my number, and I'll be more than happy to update this post.
shealy
Vehicle: 92 Delica Exceed

Post by shealy »

Good luck getting a response from him. This sounds all to familiar.......
Drumster
Vehicle: '94 L400 diesel

Re: The Japanoid Nightmares / Japanoid sucks Chronicles

Post by Drumster »

Those are totally different experiences from mine with Japanoid; guess I was just lucky. I had no problems with Jamie there. But to tell the truth your story is enough to keep me away and stick with CVI and RSI instead; both who have treated me well - and no horror stories.
I'm here to learn.
SunshineCoastMark
Vehicle: 1990 L300 Delica

Re: The Japanoid Nightmares / Japanoid sucks Chronicles

Post by SunshineCoastMark »

Here are my two bits about Japanoid, I got them to do the timing belt service at 112,000 kms recently I wanted to replace the valve cover gasket and noticed that the balancer belt is snaped in 2 at 160,000 kms .
I have also had my brake rotors replaced with Japanoid, this job requires the bearings to be removed and reinstalled, they advised me that I need to replace the worn berings, I agreed and they double billed me for the bearing job seperatley, my advice is to stay away from this shop, I have a damaged engine as a result of dealing with them.

Return to “Dealer Feedback, Beefs, and Bouquets”