Mendels Garage

Forum rules
Please refer to Site Rule 1.1.1 prior to posting in this forum.
Jere1960
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica L300 1991 P25

Mendels Garage

Post by Jere1960 »

Hi everyone. Just wanted to update you on my buying process from Mendels Garage, Michael Shmulevich in Philadelphia, PA.
So far it has been a good experience. I got a good price for US market I believe on a 1991 P25W l300. The owner, Michael was and has still been in close contact with me. $12000 for a low mile vehicle 116,050Km with original owners maintanence records. $250 for document title, fees etc. It has new tires, and has been serviced. He even set up delivery quickly after a deposit and it was shipped(arranged by him) for $650 to Lehigh Acres Florida. The title was not ready yet, but he sent me a dealer tag so I could at least drive it around a little. So far it looks pretty good and am having a lot of fun, but yes I am not a mechanic so time will tell. He is the fellow selling Delicas on internet. We conversed by phone, text and email, mail and his responses have been prompt, professional and courteous. He also has had some delicas on "bring a Trailer."
After hearing my concerns about driving RHD, he even offered to convert it to left hand drive if I did not like it. So far I love it!
He gave me a 6 month warranty on Powertrain and said he will be working on setting up some service plans in the future. I am getting new window film here since it has faded and adding an alarm system and pyrometer and boost and a few other things ya'll have recommended. He has found me a english owners manual which I look forward to viewing since I am so new to 4 wheel drive and delicas.
He told me hopes that another mechanic will be available in the Orlando area for servicing Delicas soon. You can find other info on Mendel's on his webpage and a facebook page if interested. The process has been relatively harmless and convenient. I especially like I did not have to deal with the importation and title process and it was already here in the states. I will see how it goes once it is registered. I will have insurance through state Farm insurance comparable to my Toyota Highlander.
Here is a picture of my new Deli. Still thinking of a name. "Miso Bitshy" or "Miso Bitshie" might be in the running.
Jere's delica
Jere's delica
mydelica.jpg (26.23 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
daffodil's delica
daffodil's delica
daffodil_delica.jpg (264.4 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
Thank You and I hope some of my information is helpful to others wanting a Deli in the states.
Feel free to contact me for any other questions.
Jere "Happy in Florida"
Jere1960

Re: Mendels Garage

Post by Jere1960 »

Ooops, I wrote this a while back just got around to submitting today. One update, I actually received the Title very quickly by Mendels and did not even need the dealer plate. All in all Great Process and experience!!!!! Still very pleased.
Jere
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Congratulations on your purchase! What is she, a '91? Do you have more pictures? :-)

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
cksherrill
Vehicle: 1990 Mitsubishi Delica L300

Post by cksherrill »

This guy is related to Mendel's so take everything he says and posts with a grain of salt. This the spamming all around this forum about Mendel's garage. He isn't an unbiased commentator. Check Mendel's auctions on bringatrailer and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin

cksherrill wrote:This guy is related to Mendel's so take everything he says and posts with a grain of salt. This the spamming all around this forum about Mendel's garage. He isn't an unbiased commentator. Check Mendel's auctions on bringatrailer and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Wow, really?? I was just chatting with another member about the $12,000.00 American for a '91 Starwagon with 116,000 kliks on her. Seemed a little steep when you can get them up in Canada for under $10,000.00 Cdn. I think this ad should stay up all the same as it is an informational avenue but I'll keep these posts along with it- buyer beware, I suppose. Thanks for the intel, CK.

Falco.

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
Jere1960

Post by Jere1960 »

Hi all, Maybe I am a little naive but am happy with my purchase of this 1991 Delica P25 so far from Mendels. I tend to judge people based on my own experience with them and pray they will do right by me. He is Russian lol not to pigeon hole folks. I know a few Russian Dr.s and they can be difficult to deal with. I just treat everyone with respect and as a southern girl from Louisiana usually have no problem being treated fairly. I suppose time will tell. $ 12000 may be a bit much, but Right hand had quoted me about $14000 with more stuff and delivered to the US and Silkroads had one for $11,500 and about $2500 transport to the states. I could have gone to Canada and bought one, Really liked the Bonsia rides fellow,and could have figured out how to ship myself but am an older lady by myself and so opted for convenience and safety. Also I wanted it now. I pray that since Mendels is in the US I can establish some kind of rapport so he can be a good source for me. What is the saying about flies and honey? I wanna be a good steward in the world and have always been about love, sharing and peace. How can we help each other? How can we extend a hand to each other?
Oh and who is related to Mendel's?
If he is not an unbiased commentator, then call him out on it. I would and would ask him to do better or at least think about it.
If I may help anyone anytime I will. It is my nature. It is why I became a nurse. My mate died last Easter and this is a part of her I wanted to share, this Delica, her love of the outdoors and of others and of course my memory of her geting her mitsubishi 4x4 Montero stuck up to the windows in mud. It is my way of continuing to live, love and laugh and connect with the world and honor her and yes keep a part of her alive.
If we call people out and ask them to do the right thing and they don't, at least we tried. And who knows maybe one day they will finally get it. I mean no ill will and if you don't want me posting anything about Mendels I will respect all of ya'lls wishes. Just wanna have fun is all and live a little and learn from this forum and group. Life can be hard enough.
Thanks,
Jere Jane Shuler
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin

Wow. Well, going by your response, I'd say it's highly unlikely that you're a spambot (grins)!

Jere, welcome to Delica Canada :M
Feel free to post, that's what this club is all about and of course people are going to have opinions ~ your opinion is worth something, as well.
Jere1960 wrote:... I just treat everyone with respect and as a southern girl from Louisiana usually have no problem being treated fairly. ...

A southern girl, eh? I had a friend in Little Rock, Arkansas and spent a few weeks down there. This is where I was introduced to cornbread, beans, catfish, pulled pork and Knob Creek bourbon. Awesome. I would usually start my day at the River Market and talk with the guy serving me coffee ~ "Man... you look like you might be from here but you sure as hell don't talk like you's from here!" There are some really nice folk down there.

I'm from North Vancouver (on the north side of Vancouver Harbour) in British Columbia. This corner of Canada has been ground zero for the introduction of the mighty Delica. I was first looking to import my own but the idea of purchasing sight unseen didn't really sit well with me, either ~ if I imported my own I would have saved four or five grand, I suppose ~ I like to kick tyres, as it were. I've had my wagon for over eight years now, I have absolutely no regrets.

One thing I would recommend to you is to learn about what makes your wagon tick, also know ~ they have personalities. Many people laugh at me because I talk to my wagon, which is fine, I guess ~ but she takes me places that the hyaenas do not so there you are! :mrgreen:
You also want to keep on top of fluid changes and remember that rubber has a lifespan and should be respected as such ~ think bushings, belts, seals &c..

In the meantime, you must feel at home here and we appreciate your input to the site.
Be well,

Falco.

Jere1960

Post by Jere1960 »

God Bless you sugah,

I appreciate your response and advice. I think I have read almost every post regarding repair and fix up and do it yourself and am getting tools together to learn and do. Am not a mechanic but can be handy if need be and not adverse to bugging a few mechanics to learn. Persistance can go a long way. I talk to my Deli also. I believe they are beautiful machines and can't wait to learn and pray I do right by her.
My brother lives in the little Rock area. Used to go camping that way and play in the buffalo river. Would like to do that again.
I have really enjoyed some of the write ups by you and some of the other fellows regarding them mechanics and maintenence of the Delicas. I am amazed by your knowledge and I hope one day I will be able to converse and maybe contribute as I learn. Are you an artist as well? That intrigues me coz I fancy myself to be a bit of an artist myself and sometimes musician. Thank you for the welcome Falco. It means a lot to this ole girl.
Best regards,
Jere Jane
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin

Jere1960 wrote:... Are you an artist as well? ...
Wow, you have been doing your research! I'm a painter by trade, which spans the spectrum from airless spraying of an aircraft hanger at Vancouver International Airport to spraying out warehouses to decorative finishes, to faux fini, to trompe l'oeil, to murals, to canvases, all the way to splashing out one and two bedroom apartments at the end of the month. My limited mechanical abilities have been recently acquired since my acquaintance with Misu Komusume (my wagon).

The Starwagons are simple. When I first had the issue with my combo switch (indicator/lamps switch beneath the steering wheel) I was nervous. When I opened the casing and saw all the pretty coloured wires I nearly had an accident in my britches! Upon closer inspection I noted that of the many coloured wires there would be only two or three going to the various mini-PC boards that make up the unit like a club sandwich. Kind of like a Beatles' song ~ the whole piece can be complex but when you break the song down you realise that it's comprised of simple components.

One thing I experienced in my mechanical trial by grease ~ to know what to reef on and what not to reef on. Once whilst working on the front suspension I was worried about breaking something until it was pointed out to me that if the unit handles me doing ninety kliks (KPH) down a Forest Service Road (dirt logging road), then how easily could I break it by putting a little pressure on it? On the other hand, when I was working on my turbocharger, there is this one bolt that is hollow, called the oil feed eye bolt, it's a banjo bolt and must be twelve foot pounds of torque when tightening it down. This was a learning experience, let me tell you: How much is twelve pounds? I imagined what twelve pounds weighed and tightened accordingly. Then the top of the bolt came off. Oh dear.... turns out that twelve foot pounds is less than finger tight. In fact the average trigger pressure on a firearm is thirteen foot pounds! Basically, don't take anything for granted. If you see something that you think you might understand then read up on it to be sure. Also, don't forget that YouTube is your friend... smiles.

Falco.

Daron
Vehicle: 1989 Delica 4x4 Diesel

Post by Daron »

Hi all... I bought my van from Mendels. Aside from the sketchy location in philly I had a pretty decent transaction with Michael. My van is great and he represented everything about it on the up and up.

Daron
Jere1960

Post by Jere1960 »

Congrats Daron! So glad you have had a good experience and hope you have loads of fun with your Deli.

Oh Falco interesting history on your craft of painting/artistic talents. I understand about looking at the Delica and going wow look at all those wires. lol already had my gas gauge quit and then unplugged my phone plug from the cigarette lighter and it started again, so now I have to track down where the short or whatever is going on with it.
Lol torque on the Turbo, I just bought a used manual torque from a pawn shop, pray it comes in handy once I know how to use it. Now which turbo did you get to replace yours. Have been reading all about turbos and intercoolers and superchargers and even saw a supped up deli with a Galant VR4 engine and with a Nistune real time tuning board. Boy could it go. Thank goodness for you tube, others trial and errors will serve me on this adventure.
I wondered if an L200 intercooler would fit the Delica L300. So much stuff to learn and read, but so far it is interesting.
My art has been a pastime for years. My first mural was a fire breathing Dragon on my bedroom wall hugh and in acrylic and also coated so it would stay.
It is still there somewhere under the 6 coats of paint my mother covered it with. I love it all. Have been looking for my airbrushes so maybe I can put something on my Deli. Not a professional but I have fun and will try most anything from watercolor, oil, wood carving or whatever hits my fancy.
Now a days I am finding pleasure playing with my Deli.

Big smiles,

Jere
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin

Jere1960 wrote:... Now which turbo did you get to replace yours....
Big smiles,

Jere
I didn't replace the turbo, I replaced the turbo seals.

Falco.

Jere1960

Post by Jere1960 »

Oh ok, smiles. Still learning.
Jere

Return to “Dealer Feedback, Beefs, and Bouquets”