A Word To The Wise...my experience with Rising Sun Auto Imports

Forum rules
Please refer to Site Rule 1.1.1 prior to posting in this forum.
Klecko
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1996 Delica l300 Active World

Post by Klecko »

Just wanted to relay my story with regards to my dealing with Rising Sun Auto Imports and Steven Lee.
Little bit of history. I owned a delica l300 which I bought in Montreal from a young man who had purchased it from Rising Sun Auto Imports. Really loved that ruck and used it for approx. 5-6 years always ordering parts from Rising Sun to keep the rig running (few thousand spent). Recently I decided to upgrade to Delica L400. I saw a unit on Rising Sun Auto Import website. Had a friend go check it out, Steven Lee assured me it was one of the best in Canada. Bought it.....had tow bar added and rear suspension air bags placed and fender flares purchased for future use......Spent about 17000. Warranty, 1 year drivetrain and engine amongst other things was included. When I went to register vehicle it was a nightmare....had to get docs translated, stamps missing from Rising sun on import docs etc.....after numerous weeks got it finally resolved and on the road. Called Steven Lee at Rising Sun numerous times for help on the registration.....he got proper stamps but seemed annoyed and became quite hard to deal with during the process. He later stated that I was harassing him with all the calls to get this thing registered.
On the road for a few weeks, loving vehicle......put on snorkel, xroks bull bar from Australia.....got all my lights ordered, roof rack, ladder and great stereo.....even in process of ordering sheepskin front seat covers. Driving back from Montreal last week Turbo blows leaving me on the side of road. Get a tow on flatbed from Montreal to Ottawa. Call Steven at Rising Sun to inform him. take pics and explain situation......Here is where it goes south! Steven Lee sends me a copy of warranty and says because turbo is not expressly mentioned in warranty he won't cover it...when I got upset and pressed him he hangs up on me. I call back and he asks me to stop harassing him. Asked him to cover parts, split cost etc......hangs up. I have now found a turbo and have a diesel mechanic installing and I figure about 1500.00 total repairs.
Things I learned
1. Make sure you do your due diligence about the vehicle and business you are buying from....ask other members. Apparently this has happened many times with Rising Sun Auto Imports
2. Make sure car is registered in Canada by dealer.....will save you lots of work.
3. Go through warranty with place you are buying from very carefully.......unfortunately many people have no honour and would prefer to ruin their reputation and business rather than spending a few bucks.
4. Avoid Rising Sun Auto Imports and Steven Lee. In my humble opinion you will not be taken care of if something happens to your vehicle.
5. Check if car is smoker...was not disclosed...not a big deal but some might be allergic etc........
Klecko

Post by Klecko »

In process of filing complaint with the powers that be in B.C. We'll see what comes of it.
Klecko

Post by Klecko »

I'm in Ontario by the way......Had my new 2000 L400 Chamonix shipped by trailer to me here in Ottawa...........

Return to “Dealer Feedback, Beefs, and Bouquets”