Starting problems in the cold.....a short story.

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
Carp
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 94' L-400 Super Exceed

Starting problems in the cold.....a short story.

Post by Carp »

I bought my van last October. A real nice L400 which I was lucky enough to grab from a fellow in Calgary who relocated tothe states. He said, when I purchased it "She's a great machine but she doesn't like the cold" No kidding! Last winter was a challenge to get my wonderful ghostmobile on the road each weekend. (....maybe not so short a story)

So...anyway, this summer I had my alternator fail and had to get a replacement. I opened up the fuse box, looked for a translation sheet and dusted off all the fuses......whats this? A burnt out fuse? Hmmm, fuel heater.... wonder what that does.........sigh.

She starts a whole lot better these days.
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Re: Starting problems in the cold.....a short story.

Post by jessef »

:-D
jcolvin

Post by jcolvin »

Carp wrote:I bought my van last October. A real nice L400 which I was lucky enough to grab from a fellow in Calgary who relocated tothe states. He said, when I purchased it "She's a great machine but she doesn't like the cold" No kidding! Last winter was a challenge to get my wonderful ghostmobile on the road each weekend. (....maybe not so short a story)

So...anyway, this summer I had my alternator fail and had to get a replacement. I opened up the fuse box, looked for a translation sheet and dusted off all the fuses......whats this? A burnt out fuse? Hmmm, fuel heater.... wonder what that does.........sigh.

She starts a whole lot better these days.
wellll.....what *does* the fuel heater do????????? I've never heard of a stock fuel heater on an L400, and I've never seen a "fuel heater" fuse on any fusebox translation. Are you running veggie or something?
madmazda
Vehicle: 1994 l400

Post by madmazda »

x 2 next time we get together for an ice climb you'll have to show me where this elusive fuse is hiding...
Carp

Post by Carp »

Hi Madmazda, check out the fuse box diagram regarding the fuel heater. (the 15 amp in the bottom corner)
DelicaFuse1_resize.jpg
DelicaFuse1_resize.jpg (156.91 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
I know I replaced the alternator and that may be why she starts easier but I think that fuel heater fuse is there for something. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this does exactly?

Great pictures of our ice climb by the way, thank you, I will post a few in a day or two.
jcolvin

Post by jcolvin »

Interesting! Perhaps the "winter package" delica comes with some sort of fuel pre-heater? What exactly does it heat? Anyone???? Checking this fuse should be probably be part of any cold-weather-start-problem-degremlinifaction program.

Jonathan Colvin
vixentd
Vehicle: vixen td

Post by vixentd »

BMW diesels the fuel heater is above the diesel filter. Its purpose is to heat the fuel up to prevent jelling. Jelling is formed when the wax in diesel solidifies and plugs up the filter. Many years ago at 45 degrees below zero power blend was one of the better additives to prevent Jelling to keep my diesel rabbit running. It had no fuel heater.

All of the semis also run fuel heaters.

A fuel heater though will not help the starting as it works off of 12 volts and only when the vehicle is running, to prevent jelling.
CREGAN
Vehicle: 94 L400 SpaceGear Super Exceed

Post by CREGAN »

Carp wrote:Hi Madmazda, check out the fuse box diagram regarding the fuel heater. (the 15 amp in the bottom corner)
DelicaFuse1_resize.jpg
There sem to be a lot of differences between the two. Anyone know why? Is it different years, translations, etc?

Craig
jessef

Post by jessef »

The 15A fuse is for the front windshield wiper defroster (defrost strips) on the Super Exceed/Royal Exceed's.

I have never seen, nor heard of a factory installed fuel filter heater on the L400's. I've searched high and low and cannot find a single reference point.
Carp

Post by Carp »

Its stuff like this that makes me glad I'm a carpenter. I will attribute the easier starts to the new alternator and new battery. As for the "fuel heater" well it needed a new fuse and it got one. Jesse, thanks for the info.
jessef

Post by jessef »

Filter heaters come in two main flavors

Coolant heating where the coolant hoses go into the fuel filter housing block

Electric heating where there is a bowl underneath the main filter and has an electric coil inside similar to a stove top element

I haven't heard of Mitsu installing either on L400's
tonydca
Vehicle: 95 L400 Exceed - yeah, baby!

Post by tonydca »

Interesting that the legend on the cover is in english and french. I wonder where that unit was originally sold?

Be interesting to cross-reference the Mitsu part number conveniently stamped on the cover and see what exact model/spec. it comes from.

Anyone installed that aftermarket part support software mentioned here earlier?
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the elementary-school-aged boys...
Manitoba deli
Vehicle: 94 l300, 94 l400 lwb, 97 l400 S II

Post by Manitoba deli »

My shop manual for the l400 shows an electric element in the fuel filter housing (same as vixentd described) as an option on the l400 for fuel heater. Since it was an option, there are probably some out there. If you have one, there should be 4 wires going to your fuel filter. 2 for water sensor and 2 for element. I also don't think it would affect your cold start, but it may also power something else. I have seen one l400 with an extra element in the intake manifold, and it seemed to work with the glowplug circuit. I couldn't find any reference to this in the shop manual, so I'm thinking it may have been an aftermarket add on, but the install was extremely clean. Looked factory, but no fuel heater on it. Do you have any extra wires going to your fuel filter? Or maybe some wires going to an element threaded into your intake manifold? The intake heater would definitely help cold starts.

Jason
jessef

Post by jessef »

jfarsang wrote:The 15A fuse is for the front windshield wiper defroster (defrost strips) on the Super Exceed/Royal Exceed's.
And Chamonix's Mr.P pointed out. 8-)
jcolvin

Post by jcolvin »

jfarsang wrote:The 15A fuse is for the front windshield wiper defroster (defrost strips) on the Super Exceed/Royal Exceed's.

I have never seen, nor heard of a factory installed fuel filter heater on the L400's. I've searched high and low and cannot find a single reference point.
Wait....I have a front windshield wiper defroster?? How does it turn on?

Return to “L400 Technical”