Need some help/advice regarding the RHD "laws" in canada

RHD-related issues ONLY please (NOT for general political ads!)
fresh'86
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '99 Acura EL

Need some help/advice regarding the RHD "laws" in canada

Post by fresh'86 »

I'm in Ontario, and want to convert the firewall on my civic with a front clip I recieved from a Japanese Civic Type R. Basically, I'm doing a RHD swap in a LHD vehicle.

I was wondering if I need to bring my car for inspection or get something changed in my registration to get it done. Is this first of all legal?

Seems like nobody has done this in Canada yet, as far as I know, so I would like to have some light shed on it. Thanks!
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Re: Need some help/advice regarding the RHD "laws" in canada

Post by mararmeisto »

If I understand your query correctly, you want to convert your LHD to a RHD? Why?

Or are you asking about the legality of putting a RHD front-end onto your LHD vehicle?

Please clarify.

As for the handedness of a vehicle, the only thing the Motor Vehicle Act requires is that a RHD vehicle must have electrical or mechanical signaling equipment (because you can't use your arm to signal, obviously). That being said, provinces administer the act (hence Quebec's temporary ban on the inspection of RHDs) and insurance companies are the other hurdle (some won't insure because they feel it costs too much to repair based on what they think of the availability of parts).
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
fresh'86

Post by fresh'86 »

mararmeisto wrote:If I understand your query correctly, you want to convert your LHD to a RHD? Why?

Or are you asking about the legality of putting a RHD front-end onto your LHD vehicle?

Please clarify.

As for the handedness of a vehicle, the only thing the Motor Vehicle Act requires is that a RHD vehicle must have electrical or mechanical signaling equipment (because you can't use your arm to signal, obviously). That being said, province administer the act (hence Quebec's temporary ban on the inspection of RHDs) and insurance companies are the other hurdle (some won't insure because they feel it costs too much to repair based on what they think of the availability of parts).
I'm going to be putting on the firewall, dashboard, and subframe and steering rack and shaft from the RHD donor on my LHD car. The reason for that is because I want to recreate a "Civic Type R" completely. It has been done plenty of times in the US, the car is also a 2000, so I wouldn't be able to register the Donor until 2015. The VIN and registration will all state the car is simply a Canadian 2000 Civic CX. Engine will still remain as a 1.6 and 4 cyl. When I insure it, I'm not going to fully insure the vehicle either, so insurance won't need to see it since I'm only getting liability. The car will mainly be a track car for the weekends and for car shows.

Thanks for the help!
Green1
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Post by Green1 »

What you are doing amounts to changing "parts" on your vehicle. there is no requirement to have it re-inspected after having done so. if the vehicle would normally require an inspection (coming from out of the province, or insurance requested on an older vehicle) that will still stand, but nothing about the modification will cause a need to re-inspect.

That said, you are legally obligated to make sure that the vehicle meets your province's safety standards, this includes such things as steering and brakes being within tolerance, but may also include such things are lights and reflectors.

I strongly urge you to put domestic "lhd" headlights in the vehicle, and not the "rhd" ones that come with the front clip, you should also make sure that your vehicle complies with local requirements for side marker lights and reflectors (most provinces require there to be amber reflectors on the side of the vehicle near the front, as well as amber lights when the headlights are on)

I should also mention, this is done all the time in Canada, your situation is not unique.
fresh'86

Post by fresh'86 »

Green1 wrote:What you are doing amounts to changing "parts" on your vehicle. there is no requirement to have it re-inspected after having done so. if the vehicle would normally require an inspection (coming from out of the province, or insurance requested on an older vehicle) that will still stand, but nothing about the modification will cause a need to re-inspect.

That said, you are legally obligated to make sure that the vehicle meets your province's safety standards, this includes such things as steering and brakes being within tolerance, but may also include such things are lights and reflectors.

I strongly urge you to put domestic "lhd" headlights in the vehicle, and not the "rhd" ones that come with the front clip, you should also make sure that your vehicle complies with local requirements for side marker lights and reflectors (most provinces require there to be amber reflectors on the side of the vehicle near the front, as well as amber lights when the headlights are on)

I should also mention, this is done all the time in Canada, your situation is not unique.
Thanks a lot for all the info! This is great.

For the headlights, I plan on using the canadian ones, I really get pissed off and am very anal when people have their high beams on, or if they have HID plug and play kits on in headlights that are not designed for it.

all turn signals, and reflectors are the same on the japanese civics as on the canadian ones, so that will be good, there is an addition of a fender "side marker" on the japanese model, no biggie though, since Mazda 3's have it locally I'm sure it's legal.

I'm glad you mentioned this isn't a unique situation, I don't care to be the first, I just really want to have a civic type R replica, since it's always been my favorite car. Glad to see other's have done similar swaps...makes me feel more rest assured that this isn't something illegal, or something police will try to impound my car for. Thanks again!
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

If you end up with the same engine and front-end, why change it? Is the body shape different? Is it more than just adding some side marker signals on a NA model? Do you have some pictures?
JPL
fresh'86

Post by fresh'86 »

mararmeisto wrote:If you end up with the same engine and front-end, why change it? Is the body shape different? Is it more than just adding some side marker signals on a NA model? Do you have some pictures?
Both engines are 1.6, but the JDM one is a DOHC high compression, high revving engine with much more power. The front end's are slightly different, but the main reason for the change is having a RHD vehicle. I know some may find that very stupid, but it's more of a show and track car than anything else, and the interior on the japanese model is very nice.

regular US/Canadian Civic:

Japanese Civic Type R:

mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

Why not just get a Civic SiR? I mean, Honda re-introduced the SiR after less than two years of discontinuing it because the public wanted it. When it came back, it had the European styling, performance engine, etc.

Just seems like a lot of work to get a better performing and slicker-looking car, when one could just bolt-on a few performance parts and pieces of trim to get similar results.

In the end, to answer your original question, it's not illegal. More like irregular.
JPL
josh
Vehicle: L300 poptop gasser

Post by josh »

If you are dead set on the RHD, why not import one... seems like a lot less hassle and probably cheaper in the long run.

Josh
fresh'86

Post by fresh'86 »

mararmeisto wrote:Why not just get a Civic SiR? I mean, Honda re-introduced the SiR after less than two years of discontinuing it because the public wanted it. When it came back, it had the European styling, performance engine, etc.

Just seems like a lot of work to get a better performing and slicker-looking car, when one could just bolt-on a few performance parts and pieces of trim to get similar results.

In the end, to answer your original question, it's not illegal. More like irregular.
I actually have thought about that, my friend owns one and I took it for a couple of test drives...it's a nice car but honestly I'm not a big fan. THere are a few reasons:
-about 400-500lbs heavier
-mcphearson suspension on the rear, doublewish bone on the front (older ones have doublewish on all 4 corners)
-shifter on the dashboard drives me nuts
-the style doesn't appeal to me, looks too much like a minivan

I see where you're going, it is an alright car, but the 99-00 has always been my favorite car, and I finally have the assets and resources to attain one.

In a way, you asking me to grab an SiR instead of the CTR is almost like someone asking why not just buy a previa instead of a delica. Sometimes people just have a passion for a certain car and you can't explain it. Appreciate all the help!
josh wrote:If you are dead set on the RHD, why not import one... seems like a lot less hassle and probably cheaper in the long run.

Josh
That was the inital plan, however the one I want is a 1999-2000. I've done ll the research I've needed, spoke to a a handful of importers who have spoken to their lawyers, and it's simple impossible to register one in Canada unless it's at least 15 years old. :(
josh
Vehicle: L300 poptop gasser

Post by josh »

fresh'86 wrote: That was the inital plan, however the one I want is a 1999-2000. I've done ll the research I've needed, spoke to a a handful of importers who have spoken to their lawyers, and it's simple impossible to register one in Canada unless it's at least 15 years old. :(
Ok, now I understand the reason for that undertaking... anyhow, like green1 said,
Green1 wrote:What you are doing amounts to changing "parts" on your vehicle. there is no requirement to have it re-inspected after having done so. if the vehicle would normally require an inspection (coming from out of the province, or insurance requested on an older vehicle) that will still stand, but nothing about the modification will cause a need to re-inspect.

So have fun.

Josh
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

Okay, I get it. I understand wanting a particular vehicle from a certain year. I've always liked the AMC Javelin - just liked the look of it, I guess. Good luck with your conversion.
JPL
fresh'86

Post by fresh'86 »

Thanks a lot for all the support and help guys! I'm going out to complete this project, and will get back to you once all is said and done and give you some picture updates!!! :)

Return to “RHD Political and Legal Matters”