CB antenna advice

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

patty
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: delica chamonix

Re: CB antenna advice

Post by patty »

im gonna buy that one for a 100 bucks with the base and PA option.
Erebus
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed

Post by Erebus »

TardisDeli wrote:Is it true that Loran C antenna are same as marine CB? If so would they work on Delica ?

George ? Green1 ? Ruminante ? Anyone know for sure ?
Sorry, been to busy to log in lately :-(

CB frequencies are at about the 8th harmonic of the Loran frequencies, so it might just work. As has been said, hook in an SWR meter and see what it shows. BTW, many SWR meters don't do such low frequencies, they only do VHF.
ghmorris wrote:If I was putting a CB in a Deli and was looking for performance rather than cool 8-) , I'd probably start by looking at a couple of Firesticks, (probably the 4' ones, but maybe just 2') on a pair of mirror mounts with a co-phased harness. It might be safer to go stainless rather than fibreglass for bush use as the fibreglass is going to be more brittle and break easier, not to mention transfer more load to the mounts...George
Co-phased antennas only work well when separated by the right distance. The delica is very narrow, so it would probably result in a radiation pattern that is strongly biased to the sides, rather than front/back.

Keep in mind that mounting an antenna near the back of the Delica with put out a stronger signal to the front, and mounting at the front will bias the signal to the rear. Wikipedia's article is actually pretty good on antennas.

Like so many other aspects of electronics, most of antenna stuff is magic and doesn't really follow the rule book. So, try it and see what happens.

I never thought about the difference in flexibility of steel vs. fibreglass antennas. I've got a 5" fibreglass whip that I intend to mount on the roofrack (it has spring and quick release), so I'll have to be careful. But then I'm used to having to watch my height -- most of my ham antennas aren't very flexible either.

73s de VE6FVD
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".
ghmorris
Vehicle: 92 Delica, 89 Mercedes 300D

Post by ghmorris »

We have a standing joke about the Wireless business around here. 50% science, 50% art and 80% black magic... :M

George
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

coaxial wrote:For cabling I will just run the ant. cable through the grommet behind the fuse box, same path as my aux headlight wires.
That might not be the best route. Depending on how good the coax is, it could pick up interference from the wiring, or it could cause electrical interference. Best to keep coax as far away from power wires as possible.
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

acmeantenna wrote: Challenger communication equipment Co., Ltd. We specialize in the design and manufacture of Antennae, Antenna Mounts, accessories etc.
Well, I might be more impressed if your website name and logo gave the name as ChAllenger, not ChEllenger, and you might want to spell "factory" correctly: "Factroy Address:"

Besides, the appropriate location for ads is in the "Parts and supplies" section.

I advise all forum members to stay away from this company.

Return to “General Discussion”