Big ol' post on keeping your diesel running cleanly...

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

tonydca
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 95 L400 Exceed - yeah, baby!

Big ol' post on keeping your diesel running cleanly...

Post by tonydca »

I've been developing a history of sticking various chemicals in the van to see if they help or hurt:

http://www.delica.ca/forum/my-acetone-r ... -8758.html
http://www.delica.ca/forum/seafoam-discussion-9722.html
http://www.delica.ca/forum/i-need-your- ... 12046.html

Lately I've been looking more at cleaning my engine guts, inside and out, and at Seafoam in particular. I do a lot of short-trip city driving that can be really hard on diesels like ours.

So I did some reading & tinkering, and here is a great long post on what I found out about helping to keep your engine running cleanly. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I am not a Chemical Engineer, I just like to fiddle around with stuff like this and try to understand what is going on. Follow my advice at your own risk... :shock:

Executive Summary:

For a less messy, more hassle-free way to clean your injectors/cylinder-interiors than Seafoam in the fuel filter, consider buying some ultra-pure Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and use it in your fuel tank instead of Seafoam. It's cheaper and depending on your engine condition, it might just do the job you need.

Do use Seafoam in your crankcase before you change the oil/filter to clean out deposits inside the engine - it does a great job. But do it cold and do it gently.

A Bit of Chemistry first..

According to the manufacturer, Seafoam is 4 parts #1 diesel fuel, 2 parts naphtha (Coleman fuel) and 1 part Isopropyl (Rubbing) alcohol (IPA).

Diesel fuel and naphtha are distilled from the same dead dinosaurs as crankcase oil, gasoline, and other petrochemicals. Chemically, it is made up of Carbon and Hydrogen atoms.

Alcohol is completely different stuff. Along with the Carbon and Hydrogen, it contains Oxygen as well (more on that later).

One more thing to note - in general, substances prefer to dissolve other things that are similar to themselves. For example, if you get grease on your cotton shirt, you're better off wiping it with Coleman fuel rather than alcohol before washing it.

Injectors and cylinders:

From what I have read, most performance-robbing deposits in cylinders and on injector tips (i.e. surfaces where **BOOM** happens) are carbon leftover from the fuel. In addition to clogging the injector tips, they cause pre-ignition hotspots and can cause localized points where engine oil can slip by the rings into the cylinders and burn.

This stuff needs to be burned off, not dissolved away. To do that, you need Oxygen to help turn the Carbon into Carbon Dioxide gas (CO2) and out the tailpipe.

It is my belief, but I can not prove it, that the 15% alcohol in the Seafoam is what is actually cleaning your cylinders and injector tips by helping burn off this carbon with the Oxygen it brings along to the party; the other 85% is in this case there to carry the alcohol to the cylinder and allow the engine to run without stalling.

Now Seafoam is trying to sell a single product to as many people as they can, to do as many jobs as they can claim (Jack-of-all-trades), and certainly it seemed to help last time I used it. Fair enough, but I'm spending over $10 for less than a litre of something that is more than half plain-ol' diesel fuel. Grrr...

So being a cheap and lazy bugger, and not wanting the mess of trying to fill up my fuel filter, I thought I'd try a little experiment.

The Rubbing Alcohol you buy at the drugstore is cut to a greater or lesser degree with water. Even the stuff labelled 99% I have heard rumours that it ain't necessarily so.

However, there are lots of electronics shops/industrial chemical supply shops that will sell "Anhydrous (99.954% Pure) IPA" for around $20 for a 4 litre jug. (I bought mine at MRO Electronics on Boundary Rd. in Vancouver).

On my last road trip, I ran my tank down until the fuel light was on steady. At this point, I have around 15L of fuel left.

I pulled over and added 750 ml (3 cups) of IPA - cost around $4 - and happily drove another 90 kms or so down the highway before filling up as usual. This pushed through as much IPA as six cans of Seafoam, while still keeping the overall fuel at 95% regular diesel. IPA is a pretty mild solvent compared to its harsher cousins (like acetone), and I have read studies on diesels running fine at 15% IPA (equivalent to pure Seafoam) for long periods of time without severe deterioration of internals from the alcohol.

The net result for me was noticably less black smoke on hard acceleration afterwards; the same effect I saw when I had used Seafoam in my fuel many months ago. Yay!

Now if your fuel lines are clogged up with heavy greasy deposits of some kind, the IPA treatment will not help. But I suspect for most people this is not the case, since regular diesel fuel is thin enough to dissolve away most heavier types of hydrocarbons. Certainly it seems that way for me.

Now onto the crankcase...

Seafoam in the crankcase:

This is where Seafoam really comes into its own. Since it is 85% lightweight, distilled petrochemicals, it should do a great job at dissolving greasy goo left behind in a crankcase. Two things to think about if you give it a try:

- if you want to give the 15% alcohol a shot at dissolving any non-grease-related dirt inside the engine, you need to pour the Seafoam into a cold engine. IPA boils off at 82 degC, so by the time the engine is close to normal operating tempertaure, the IPA will be long gone.

- I know there have been posts about giving your vehicle a good run down the highway to give the Seafoam a chance to circulate, but I'd be careful about putting the engine under much of a load. The Seafoam is working by basically thinning out your engine oil and while this makes it a better solvent, I think it really degrades the lubricating properties.

If you've never done it before, when you drain the oil (very important after a Seafoam clean), the oil is like water - the blackest dirtiest water ever, to be sure, but *very* thin and runny.

I spent about 20 minutes very gently running on flat roads with a very light foot at moderate revs to get the oil moving while not putting too much stress on the components.

After a drain and new oil/filter, it idles remarkably quieter, especially when it is stone cold. No more bag-o-wrenches noise. BIG difference.

So that's about it. Anybody got anything to add - fire away, but I'm making this part of my PM schedule. With fuel costing as much as it does, it doesn't take much of a performance improvement for these little tweaks to more than pay for themselves. 8-)

PS: The two-stroke oil still seems to be helping my winter fuel consumption...
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the elementary-school-aged boys...
Fishtank
Vehicle: 1994 Spacegear Exceed LWB Tall

Re: Big ol' post on keeping your diesel running cleanly...

Post by Fishtank »

Great post Tony. Good deduction and it all makes sense for us lay folk. :-D
92pajero
Vehicle: 92 pajero exceed

Post by 92pajero »

I understand the 2 stroke oil lubricating the upper cylinder to cause a better seal which means a better burn. What are you paying for 2 stroke oil and how much are you adding per 50 liters? I am running lucas additive which cost me 22.95 for 4litres. I am adding 100 ml per 50l of fuel, this is working for me. Better mileage, better burn, less smoke and more power. Anyone have any thing to add to this? By the way Naptha at 150ml per 50L will burn a little warmer but will also keep deposits out of the valves and injectors also.
"Why are some peoples mouths in overdrive but their minds are in neutral"
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

2stroke oil thread. http://www.delica.ca/forum/i-need-your- ... 12046.html
Works great and to this day surprised to hear many people don't use it.
1994delicaman
Vehicle: KTM

Post by 1994delicaman »

Thanks for the great post :-D, I'm coming close to changing the fuel filter in the L400
1991 Mercedes 350SD Turbo W126
1997 Toyota Hiace camper 2.8l diesel
2000 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 direct injection
2006 smart car diesel CDI
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 Mercedes GLK250 Bluetec
2018 KTM Superduke 1290 R
Slimdog
Vehicle: 2000 L300 LWB

Post by Slimdog »

Ya great post man. Thanks for all the info.
joedelica
Vehicle: 95 Exceed XR The Sapporo Can

Post by joedelica »

Thanks for the info and research Tony.

Could you tell me do you still run the Diesel additive that Mardy and Butch supply when you are filling up?
In addition to this, are you adding the 2 stroke oil to your tank with the 750ml of Anhydrous IPA as well?
It appears to be a real chemical cocktail to keep track of for filling up!

Joe
Blackberry
Vehicle: '92 Exceed P35W

Post by Blackberry »

Apologies if not exactly on topic, but related to other posts in this thread at least.
I found this study to be very interesting. It concludes that using 2% soy-based bio-diesel as a lubrication additive for ULSD is better than...well, have a read: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/attach ... ntid=44499
tonydca
Vehicle: 95 L400 Exceed - yeah, baby!

Post by tonydca »

joedelica wrote:Thanks for the info and research Tony.

Could you tell me do you still run the Diesel additive that Mardy and Butch supply when you are filling up?
In addition to this, are you adding the 2 stroke oil to your tank with the 750ml of Anhydrous IPA as well?
It appears to be a real chemical cocktail to keep track of for filling up!

Joe
I only do the IPA for a clean, so when I put in the 750 ml IPA, that's all I add to the tank (with the 15L of fuel already in). Run for about 100 kms, then fill up "as usual". I figure I skip trying to give the system an extra lube for the hour that I'm cleaning it in case the "cocktail" counteracts itself. Not that it *should*, but too much to keep track of. I'll only run the IPA a few times per year.

For "as usual" fills, I add a dose of Howes additive year-round and 2-stroke oil as well during the winter to help offset whatever hocus-pocus they do to winterize the diesel. Doing the 2-stroke seems to noticeably improve my winter MPG (see earlier thread); I stumbled across it and I have no idea why it seems to do what it does - which bugs me - but it works for me and it is supposed to be good for the fuel system, so I'm doing it anyways. Only takes a moment to squirt in the Howes and glug in some oil before filling up.

Plus on the L400s, a $3 IKEA blue box fits *perfectly* between the front seats, and it a great place to keep (among other stuff) a 1L bottle of two-stroke oil, a Seafoam can full of IPA, and an additive bottle of Howes. Easy-peasy!
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the elementary-school-aged boys...
Fishtank

Post by Fishtank »

tonydca wrote: For "as usual" fills, I add a dose of Howes additive year-round and 2-stroke oil as well during the winter to help offset whatever hocus-pocus they do to winterize the diesel.
Tony, what is your reasoning of adding the Howes when you are adding the 2-stroke oil?
jessef

Post by jessef »

Howes is one of many in the line up of diesel conditioners (counters sulfur and winter gelling) that the 2 stroke oil will not do.
Fishtank

Post by Fishtank »

jfarsang wrote:Howes is one of many in the line up of diesel conditioners (counters sulfur and winter gelling) that the 2 stroke oil will not do.
Jeez thanks Jesse :roll: , I am actually quite familiar with the Howes line of fuel conditioners :-P :-D .

My question was more directed at why is he is adding an anti gelling additive to winter diesel that already has gelling inhibitors? And if the 2-stroke oil is taking care of the lubricity deficiencies, why waste money putting Howes in the tank? Save that for the Summer months.
nxski
Vehicle: 1991 Delica L300 Super Exceed

Post by nxski »

Fishtank wrote:
jfarsang wrote:Howes is one of many in the line up of diesel conditioners (counters sulfur and winter gelling) that the 2 stroke oil will not do.
Jeez thanks Jesse :roll: , I am actually quite familiar with the Howes line of fuel conditioners :-P :-D .

My question was more directed at why is he is adding an anti gelling additive to winter diesel that already has gelling inhibitors? And if the 2-stroke oil is taking care of the lubricity deficiencies, why waste money putting Howes in the tank? Save that for the Summer months.
That raises the question of why use Howe's at all? There is no need to prevent gelling in summer diesel since it's summer. :-D Does anyone use ATF fluid in their tanks?
Live the life you love, love the life you live...

Had: 1991 Mitsubishi Delica L300 SuperExceed, heavily modified (totalled by a drunk driver)
Have: 2011 Acura CSX manual, lightly modified
Want: Mitsubishi Pajero Evo

http://nes-design-construction.com
http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/nicolas-spurling/46/b48/924

Nicola Spurling
psilosin
Vehicle: L400

Post by psilosin »

Fishtank: "You anti-gellin'?"
tonydca: "I'm anti-gellin' like a felon!"
nxski: "I'm so anti-gellin', I'm like Magellan!"
1994delicaman: "I can't stop anti-gellin'...it's so compellin'."
FalcoColumbarius: "My fortune teller was foretellin' that I'd spend this winter anti-gellin'."
MardyDelica: "OK man I'm tellin'...gellin' this no good. hope this helps man."
CREGAN: "I'M SO ANTI-GELLIN', I CAN'T STOP YELLIN"!!"
RisingSunAuto "You want to be anti-gellin'? Well I happen to be sellin'."
Jfarsang: "Vendors sellin' anti-gellin' on the forum? Something is smellin'!"
thedjjack: "When anti-gellin becomes a dictatorship, its time to start rebellin'."

8-)
jessef

Post by jessef »

you should get that framed Image

Return to “General Discussion”