What's my Delica worth?

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

ealanm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '95 L400

What's my Delica worth?

Post by ealanm »

I'm not selling my Delica. But I'm attempting to do a cost comparison between commuting to work on my ebike and commuting with the Delica, and it turns out that depreciation is a big factor in both cases, so I'm attempting to estimate the annual depreciation cost of my Delica. Any thoughts? I'm looking for a ballpark (+/- $1000) estimate of a realistic selling price.

Here are the details: 1995 Delica Chamonix, purchased in late 2010 for $10,200 with 102,000 km on it. It now has 165,000 km and remains in good shape. The fuel distributor was replaced with a rebuilt unit in 2012, and the front brakes were completely re-done (new rotors, rebuilt calipers) in September of 2015. Tires are also new as of September, 2015.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm in the greater Vancouver area.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether they've been correctly attributed."
-- Abraham Lincoln
TieMyShoe
Vehicle: L300

Re: What's my Delica worth?

Post by TieMyShoe »

You can't really go by depreciation on a Deli honestly.. its worth however much somebody is willing to pay.. Look at the L300s... some of them are worth more now than when they were first sold while others are selling for scrap value. The pricing of vehicles with a "Niche market" doesn't normally follow the standard market trend. They are not being purchased by Joe blow who just want a point A to point B commuter, meaning they are being purchased by people who were specifically looking for one. This causes the prices to fluctuate drastically.
TRUTHautomotive
Vehicle: Delica L400 High Roof

Re: What's my Delica worth?

Post by TRUTHautomotive »

If it helps you for comparison:
Last week I sold my 1994 P35W Star Wagon Super Exceed for $10,000 which I think is good value considering it's condition and options.
Options:
-Rear LSD
-Cool Box
-Crystal Lite Roof
-Dual Battery
-Sleeping platform installed

Condition:
-139,000km
-Minimal rust, good body and interior condition (auction grade 4)
-overhaul to fuel system (reseal IP, injectors rebuilt, new fuel lines and filter)
-overhaul to cooling system (new rad, hoses, thermostat, clamps, recent coolant flush)
-new tires General Grabber AT2
-EGT + Boost Gauge
-reseal engine components (rocker cover, intake/exhaust manifold)
-EGR removed
-new front brake pads installed
-rear stab bar links changed
-alternator rebuilt (crapped out the day after he bought it :-( , so I bought him a new alternator)
-new drive belts
-timing belt @ 96,000km
-all fluids (yes, all) and maintenance done religiously

There is probably more and I'm just missing it. I agree with the previous poster though, niche vehicle prices are subject to major swings.
I always like to consider the fact that a VW Westfalia Synchro will set you back at least $40,000. The L300 is a platform that is more reliable, robust and utilitarian.

Due to popularity in NA, Japan is starting to running out of these and they will start to adjust their auction prices for the recently opened US market. I think if you are taking proper care of your delica (which can be time consuming for certain) you shouldn't be calculating a depreciation, it should be holding its value and maybe one day, appreciate in value as they become exceed-ingly rare :-D .
TRUTH Automotive Services
General and JDM Maintenance in Calgary AB

Return to “General Discussion”