L400 diesel engine issues

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

dgaspard
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear

L400 diesel engine issues

Post by dgaspard »

Hi, looking for some help!

I've had some recent and surpising issues with my 95' diesel L400 super exceed. It was actually running great and smooth. Beside needing some convincing to get started when ist cold and damp (I live in Squamish). Mardy has fitted an intake manifold heater and a bypass to the glow plugs to help. This bypass is a button that you press and wait untill you hear a click, to get it started. When it works it makes wonders, but some times it takes several tries to hear the click and have a sucessfull start up. On cold start the van has a grey smoke until she gets warm.

The other day on the highway (flat and no wind) I wasn't able to go faster than 85-90km/h without the van switching gear and reving >3000rpm and never switching to lower rpm's untill I release the throttle. I'm usually able to go easily to 100km/h at about 2000-2500rmp. The same day, again on the highway (on a different outing, after the van rested for few hours) the reving problem disapeared but the engine died just as I was decelerating to turn off the highway. I didn't even hear the engine shutting off, just noticed I had no more power steering and brakes as I was turning...bit scary. All the electrionics remained on (dash lights, head lights, radio etc.). I turned the van off and restarted again no problem and made it home with no other issues.

I'm wondering if this would indicate shut off solenoid issues, or fuel pump & fuel filter, or something more dramatic? Any one had this problem before or anyone have an idea of the issue?

Thanks, any input is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

David
VanVonVan
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 L400 SWB

Re: L400 diesel engine issues

Post by VanVonVan »

Hiya David!

Not sure about the high RPM as that can be a few things. It definitely should run around 2400RPM at 100/hr on flat ground no head wind. I'm in the prairies (Manitoba) so no big hills or mountain passes here. hahaha

As for the dying while driving, that sounds like the Injection pump seal. PITA to change, but the part itself is around $20. When mine was going I could get to the same place on my commute to work everyday and the engine would just not be running anymore, pull over, curse a few times, start it and be on my way. Do a google search for L400 IP seal and you should see similar issues. Once I changed it the problem was gone.

Hope that helps a bit, cheers,
Russell

Return to “General Discussion”