Manual hubs for a l300

Pajero
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 94 Pajero

Manual hubs for a l300

Post by Pajero »

Admin: Copied to the Technical Reference Library. Original thread here: http://www.delica.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16198

I was wondering what is currently the best hub/deal for a set of manual hubs for a 92 l300 deli?

Would like to buy a set before the snow flys

Thanks in advance
Joe
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Re: Manual hubs for a l300

Post by lrp374 »

I bought mine from CCA because:
- the price was reasonable
- they were in stock
- you can buy 1 @ a time so if you have problems your not replacing a set
- warranty
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

I got mine from CCA too. Working fine so far...
Happy Day!
Pajero
Vehicle: 94 Pajero

Post by Pajero »

Thank you'
lrp374 wrote:I bought mine from CCA because:
- the price was reasonable
- they were in stock
- you can buy 1 @ a time so if you have problems your not replacing a set
- warranty
I love dealing with them so I will give them a shout. :-D

Thanks
thelazygreenfox
Vehicle: 99 white Hi roof gas Chamonix

Post by thelazygreenfox »

you can have mine, I never use them anymore. They always let in water, rusted and were hard to engage/disengage. Maybe You can figure out how to install them properly.
TLWF
Wear your mask, it keeps others from seeing the parsley in your teeth
hawkdrver
Vehicle: 1988 Delica

Post by hawkdrver »

Dumb question...I see a lot of discussion about manual hubs. If the automatic hubs are working OK, what's the allure of installing manual hubs?
Growlerbearnz
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Auto hubs are prone to failure if you dont treat them right. They need to be cleaned and re-greased occasionally, or they gum up. Because they're engaged by engine power, they take a lot more abuse than manual hubs which are engaged when stationary- it's best to engage the auto hubs before you need them, or, if you're already stuck, apply power gradually until they lock. Rocking the vehicle from drive to reverse (to get out of sticky mud or similar) is especially hard on auto hubs, as it locks and unlocks them over and over.

That said, if you keep them clean and greased (about as often as you change brake pads should do) and treat them gently while they're locking, they should last forever.
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.
hawkdrver

Post by hawkdrver »

Growlerbearnz wrote:Auto hubs are prone to failure if you dont treat them right.
Thanks - I figured it was something like that. I drove a CJ-7 for years that had all 4 hubs manual and a rear full floating axle so you could engage the rear locking diff and still have 3WD if case you broke an axle. I love me some Warn manual hubs, but not having to get completely covered in mud to lock the hubs is nice too! :) Think I'll stick with my auto hubs for the the time being I guess.
motorang
Vehicle: L300 P25W

Post by motorang »

There is one other point there.
I have another bus now with Auto hubs, had manual hubs before.

With the new bus, I can not go in 4L without diff wind-up, if I go on tarmac. Sometimes I just want to crawl along if it is steep or narrow enough to do so. Or in a traffic jam, this saves some clutch action. Engaging 4Low will drive all 4 wheels with Auto hubs, and with the missing central diff that can cause damage (and noises). With manual hubs I just have the front wheels disengaged, and can crawl along in 2WD and low transmission.

I definitely will move my manual hubs to the new car.

Andy
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Hawkdrver- I think if you take the cover off your front hub you will find you have the permanent type hub like the one below. Vans with the Auto hubs have the center cut out of the cover which show the auto hub. ( At least it looked that way to me from your original picture) I borrowed the picture from a previous post Konadog used when he changed to manual hubs. Permanent hubs, as you are aware, run all you front end drive system all the time.
I guess the good part of that is you can switch into 4 wheel drive @ any time and you are sure your hubs are engaged!!
Attachments
Permanent Hub
Permanent Hub
Perm hub.jpg (32.23 KiB) Viewed 12166 times
hawkdrver

Post by hawkdrver »

lrp374 wrote:Hawkdrver- I think if you take the cover off your front hub you will find you have the permanent type hub like the one below. Vans with the Auto hubs have the center cut out of the cover which show the auto hub. ( At least it looked that way to me from your original picture) I borrowed the picture from a previous post Konadog used when he changed to manual hubs. Permanent hubs, as you are aware, run all you front end drive system all the time.
I guess the good part of that is you can switch into 4 wheel drive @ any time and you are sure your hubs are engaged!!
See, now this is what makes this forum awesome. I was wondering whether what you mentioned was indeed the case. With that additional fact, it now makes perfect sense to get manual hubs. Thanks!
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Growlerbearnz wrote:Auto hubs are prone to failure if you dont treat them right. They need to be cleaned and re-greased occasionally, or they gum up. Because they're engaged by engine power, they take a lot more abuse than manual hubs which are engaged when stationary- it's best to engage the auto hubs before you need them, or, if you're already stuck, apply power gradually until they lock. Rocking the vehicle from drive to reverse (to get out of sticky mud or similar) is especially hard on auto hubs, as it locks and unlocks them over and over.

That said, if you keep them clean and greased (about as often as you change brake pads should do) and treat them gently while they're locking, they should last forever.
Maintenance is one of those things that is such an inconvenience at times. Having to change the oil, change the coolant every couple of years, regreasing the auto hubs every few years... alas ~ such is life. One of my favourite things about the auto hubs is ~ "it's persisting down rain, you're currently sitting in a pool and you need to get out of 4WD because I'm beside the highway" ~ oh look, I don't need to get out of my wagon ~ I've got auto hubs!

Perhaps I'm lazy. :wink:

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Falco you obviously have never got stuck and the Auto hubs , or @ least 1 would not engage. Even if you try them every once in a while you really don't no if they both work until your stuck. The engaging clunk doesn't mean both are ready!! If this happens to you even once, in the winter, in the middle of nowhere you may change your mind --- until then enjoy your Auto Hubs!! 8-)
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Good point Larry,
I know a lot of guys don't engage their 4WD until they get into difficult terrain. I, myself, prefer to engage 4H the moment I leave the tarmac. One reason I do this is so my steering wheels are active when I get to that scree covered corner. There have been a few times where I have seen a pick-up in the ditch with her wheels turned and a skid trail behind her. I figure once I'm off the hard surface ~ why not have them engaged? I've not noticed any difference in fuel economy between 2WD and 4WD. In my eight years with my wagon ~ my auto hubs have been great, no sign of them not working, thus far.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
hawkdrver

Post by hawkdrver »

FalcoColumbarius wrote:Good point Larry,
I know a lot of guys don't engage their 4WD until they get into difficult terrain. I, myself, prefer to engage 4H the moment I leave the tarmac.
Where I grew up, most folks operate under the philosophy that 2WD is for getting you in, 4WD is for getting you out, at least if you are alone. If you're in 4 and get stuck on the way in, you don't have many options short of a come along. I've had the opportunity to validate that a few times :)

Return to “Front & Rear Axles”