Water getting in the channels in your rear windows ?

jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Water getting in the channels in your rear windows ?

Post by jessef »

Most of the Delica's here have old rubber window seals.

That creates a not-so-tight seal with the glass when the pop-out windows are shut.

Come rainy season (now), you may notice that in between the rubber seal and the hard plastic cover (inside), that there is water sitting in there.

Few things to get your pop-out window seals back to shape :

Unscrew the three philips bolts from inside (make sure someone is holding the window outside).

Once the windows are removed, use some Silicone emulsion (Lordco : AC Delco Silicone Emulsion (P/N: 10953014) that will revive the rubber compound in the seals. It's like oil/vaseline and goes on with a little applicator. It dries in 5-15mins and a few coats will do it.

Also coat the small o-ring type seals that pop in the hole where the window bolts screw in.

Once all is dry, reinstall the windows. Wait overnight and test.

If it's still leaking, repeat again.

As there are a large amount of Delica's in the lower mainland, it would be good preventative maintenance on the window seals to do this as the rain is coming.

I've seen a number of Delica's with water in that groove (mentioned above) in parking lots, etc...

I didn't notice it until a passenger back there told me about it.

Here's to healthy seals ! :M
Attachments
Windows out
Windows out
-000.jpg (173.72 KiB) Viewed 12270 times
Dirty
Dirty
-002.jpg (129.64 KiB) Viewed 12270 times
Clean
Clean
-001.jpg (151.54 KiB) Viewed 12271 times
Applying Silicone
Applying Silicone
-003.jpg (185.72 KiB) Viewed 12270 times
Last edited by jessef on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schwa
Vehicle: 1992 Delica Exceed

Re: Water getting in the channels in your rear windows ?

Post by Schwa »

I know one of my windows has this problem. Thanks for the info!
jessef

Post by jessef »

It's raining :? :wink:
quadzilla
Vehicle: 1992 Exceed

Post by quadzilla »

Yes -thanks for the tip. Raining here, too and I decided to ride my bike to work - no fenders. I know I will be getting wet on the way home :-D Good excuse to take the trails, might as well get dirty for a reason!
fishslapper
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 lwb l400

Post by fishslapper »

Thanks a ton !! just noticed this on three of my windows last week. I told falco.......he said "oh bummer" "wow dude" or something to that effect. hahaha.....lol's.

This is something i will have to do. I will tell him about the silicone product you suggest after i try it. Thanks...
The Mighty Boosh !!
Youbou

Post by Youbou »

:M
Last edited by Youbou on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jessef

Post by jessef »

Pics uploaded.

Takes two people, 9 bolts and 5 mins to take all three windows out. Easy job.

Remember to apply green locktite to the bolts when reinstalling.
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

OK, so I tried the silicone trick and I was still seeing leaky pop-outs. All three of them. I'm certain this has been going on for some time as I pulled a 2006 Japanese newspaper from under the carpet shortly after getting Hazel home - it was totally saturated :? I considered getting used ones from ccautos, but figured I would likely have the same issue, if not now, then eventually, so I went to Rocky Mt. Imports for new ones. John warned me that the seals would be expensive, and he was right!! $150.00 EACH :o But not having to tie a tarp over the bus every night and not having water accumulate under the floor - Priceless. Had a nice morning yesterday, so I took a few minutes at our work-site and made the switch. When I tried the silicone I removed and replaced the windows as described above, but I guess I used too much lock-tight, 'cause I could not get them off this time. ccautos Glen advised me to simply leave the hinge attached to the windows and undo the screws that anchor the hinges to the bus - seems kinda obvious now... :oops: Thanks Glen :-) Anyway, the project went smooth, even for me! :? and after the rain last night there was NO WATER in the windows this morning!! Happy day! I urge everyone to have a careful look at their windows after a rain - I bet this syndrome is more common than people know :M :-D

Just slide this little cover back to expose the big Phillips screws
win1.jpg
win1.jpg (49.54 KiB) Viewed 12064 times
Glen warned me that these may need an impact hammer to crack them, but lucky for me they came free with no trouble
win2.jpg
win2.jpg (26.33 KiB) Viewed 12057 times
The rear, opener hinge
win3.jpg
win3.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 12061 times
win7.jpg
win7.jpg (32.12 KiB) Viewed 12057 times
There are 4 of these little vent holes which must be placed along the bottom of the window - note the wear creases in the rubber
win4.jpg
win4.jpg (46.93 KiB) Viewed 12061 times
When reinstalling the windows make sure the glass in evenly centred
win6.jpg
win6.jpg (87.95 KiB) Viewed 12059 times
Happy Day!
Duke
Vehicle: 92 Delica Super Exceed

Post by Duke »

G'day all. Just thought I'd add a little more to getting your windows fixed from the water leaking in. I tried Jesse's info about the silicon emulsion, but was still getting water in the channels,(and down the side to the carpet, all three windows) even after three applications. So, short of going the route of Konadog, I pulled the windows out and the rubber seal. I used some Silicon Lube that was on sale at Canuck Tire and sprayed the seals and cleaned them up with a rag. I then sprayed them again and left it to seep into the seal. They did seem to soak it and felt softer. I placed the seals back on the van, remembering the holes at the bottom, and proceded to put the glass back in. But this is where I did a little different, I noticed the hole on the hinge's were slightly oblong, so with my wifey nudging the outside of the glass tightened up the screws. This now makes it tighter against the seal. The latch was not much better. I noticed as I was opening and closing it, it had alot of movement and the glass didn't press hard enough against the rubber . This motion is just part of the mounting area, so I put a washer behind each screw between the post and the latch plate. The latch now snaps shut and the window is tight to the seal.
It poured out here last night, but nice dry windows! 8-)
Chris
miller
Vehicle: L300 Super Exceed

Post by miller »

jfarsang wrote: Once the windows are removed, use some Silicone emulsion (Lordco : AC Delco Silicone Emulsion (P/N: 10953014) that will revive the rubber compound in the seals. It's like oil/vaseline and goes on with a little applicator. It dries in 5-15mins and a few coats will do it.

I have one leaky rear window, i have done a search but i cant find a UK equivalent of this AC Delco Silicone Emulsion, would anyone out there know it by its UK name and where i could get my hands on some?

Help much appreciated

Mike
Golf Cart
Vehicle: 1992 Exceed

Post by Golf Cart »

miller wrote:
jfarsang wrote: Once the windows are removed, use some Silicone emulsion (Lordco : AC Delco Silicone Emulsion (P/N: 10953014) that will revive the rubber compound in the seals. It's like oil/vaseline and goes on with a little applicator. It dries in 5-15mins and a few coats will do it.

I have one leaky rear window, i have done a search but i cant find a UK equivalent of this AC Delco Silicone Emulsion, would anyone out there know it by its UK name and where i could get my hands on some?

Help much appreciated

Mike
Miller,

Dialectric grease works just as well. Just massage it into your seals , and then wipe off the excess. It usually works on the first application, but may require a second rub down. DONT use Vaseline.
By the time you realize that my signature has no real message or life altering words of wisdom, you're too far into it to stop reading until you are finished
phunka

Post by phunka »

Any info on replacing the sliding windows? I've got three sliders, and one popout.
I'd like to replace all the seals, but have read they are pricey to get. So i think i'll try the silicone emulsion first
Kaiju
Vehicle: 92 Star Wagon, high roof

rear wall panelling leaking

Post by Kaiju »

I have a leak on both sides of my rear door. It runs down (usually after a heavy snowfall) the lower panelling (coming from behind the upper panelling) and acumulates under the carpet. I figure its from the hinges or rear door seal. I have done a few soggy sock tests to prove I am not losing my mind and imaging this.
fexlboi
Member's Photo Album: http://dinoevo.de
Vehicle: -

Re: rear wall panelling leaking

Post by fexlboi »

Kaiju wrote:I have a leak on both sides of my rear door. It runs down (usually after a heavy snowfall) the lower panelling (coming from behind the upper panelling) and acumulates under the carpet. I figure its from the hinges or rear door seal. I have done a few soggy sock tests to prove I am not losing my mind and imaging this.
Have the same, but couldn't find the spot where the water comes in so far. Did this treatment with the seals, but helped just for the side windows.
Luna-Sea
Vehicle: 90xeed+91cmnix,bth5spdz

Post by Luna-Sea »

Hey,
Going through a touchless carwash (one with just jets,no rags),
helped me find a few leaks! (wasn't looking for leaks at the time...)
Make sure the height clearance is good, my high roof just fit!

Good luck!

Return to “Body General”